mtbr member
    Oct 2004

RFX / Lefty Question

Hi all,

As much as I love my 5 spot, I have decided to get it a big brother. I think the RFX would make a nice new playmate for the spot. I know a lot you out there have both, and i had a couple of questions. If I am riding a large spot (I am 5'10"), is a large RFX the way to go? I would assume so, but I just wanted to see what other people have experienced.

Also, I did a search, and saw the post about the lefty on the Turner. Think a lefty 140 would work with a RFX, or not offer enough travel? I do like the Lefty, but then again, I would also like the nice 36 vanilla.

Thanks for the help, sorry to spam with questions.

RT

konastab805
    Aug 2005
    wtf? a lefty.....? I am your height and im on a medium

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Lefty?

I have a Lefty laying around. A couple of people have done conversions. Would save me some $$. Medium huh, I started with a medium spot, but had way too much post sticking out. Thanks for the info, sorry to throw you off with the Lefty question.

RT

mtbr member
    Based on posts I have seen (most recently from MK) I would say medium RFX - even though you ride a large Spot. At 5.10 you are on the short side for a large.

mtbr member
    ...depends on what you're wanting it to do. I went from a Lg Spot to a Med. Rfx. I basically wanted the RFX to take the place of the Spot & become my beefy trail bike that I could really abuse. Unfortunately...I inevitably found the TT length just a bit short. I could have lived with it, but I prefer a longer TT (I'm 6' even). I swapped out to the large RFX & couldn't be happier. I think if you're wanting the RFX for mostly FR/ DH type stuff, I would go the medium....if you want it more for trail bike duties, go large.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Go here for the definitive source for Lefty/RFX combos...

http://www.fooriders.com/webmain/ind...279208&t=55931

banned
    what makes the lefty conversions advantageous?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    sumpin' to keep in mind is the geometry differences between the RFX & 5-spot. The Medium 'spot has a 17" seat tube where the medium RFX has an 18.5" seat tube. I ride a medium '02 RFX, looked at the spot, the medium 'spots seat tube was too short, and the large spot was longer than I wanted.

The medium RFX is perfect though!

Just another FOCer
    It's the ability to change a tube without having to remove the front wheel.

Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    what makes the lefty conversions advantageous?
    Gratuitous Lefty/RFX expert shot:
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks!!

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. Yep, the 17" seat tube was my biggest complaint about my medium spot. I felt like I was gonna snap the seat post off due to so much sticking out. If the RFX is 18.5" (sorry, I should of did a search or checked with Turner first), then I will definitely go Medium. I am looking to build a beefier trail bike.

I decided to place my Lefty on ebay, so I will have to opt for something else. It does look trick on a Turner though.........

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Rick

Good choice. The RFX feels like a slightly bigger bike - feels like it sits up just a little higher compared to the same size spot.

What kind of rear shock do you plan to run?

MBN
    mtbr member
    Good call on the medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The large might work okay for you. I am around 5'10.5" and have a large Pack. I usually ride mediums and normally would never consider a frame that has a 24"+ tt. That is until I took a quick spin on a large Pack and found it to be quite comfortable. I ride all conditions and like going down the steep stuff and it feels okay so far. The stand over is pretty good.

With that said, the medium should be a little easier to control in the tight spots. I would like to try a medium for a bit to compare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sc

I wish there was a local shop around that even carried Turner (Greenville SC). SC does not seem to have a lot of Turner dealers (if any?). Billy, I have no idea on shock, I have tried the DHX air, and had so-so results, the coil seems so effort-less once it is set. I am still pondering that one. As always, the true test is riding both sizes.

RT