MK_
    carpe maņana

RFX classic, chainguide mounting/tire clearance

How do you guys have your chainguides setup on a RFX classic? The chainstay yoke is huge and the DRS mounted between a BB cup and shell sits in such a way it severly eats into tire clerance. If I was to put a couple of spacers between the BB shell and the BB cup the chainline will be way off.

Does anyone run the DRS? How do you have your chainguides setup? I did some searching and I've seen a few MRPs, but haven't seen a DRS.

Thanks.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    the DRS mounted between a BB cup and shell sits in such a way it severly eats into tire clerance.
    It sits well inside the inner circumference of the yoke, but does it actually contact the tire? The RFX/6-Pack tire clearance is HUGE. The face of the bb shell is pretty far inboard relative to it. If you ran a really big tire (2.7 maybe) it would probably rub on the DRS. A smaller tire won't. I generally cut the trailing edge of chainguides off to shorten them and reduce how far they protrude into the tire's domain. The same is true of my DRS.

Unless your tire rubs the guide after you have cut any extra length off the end of the DRS, there really is not a lot to worry about imo. I was surprised at how much it seems to stick into the yoke area too, but it takes a 3.0 tire on a Large Marge rim to make it a real problem, and by that point you have other problems (like the chain dragging on the tire).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Outcast
    MK, I'm not sure why you're having this problem; I use a drs system on my classic, and I have no tire clearance issues whatsoever. I even run my guide more inboard than stock, I don't trap mine with the BB, I bored it out and use the IS tabs, with a 1/4 inch spacer between them and the drs. Perhaps you can take a look at my bike, and I could take a look at your situation, and we can figure something out.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Yeah, there is no contact with the 2.35 Fat Albert on a 28mm rim, but it is close. I am worried that the Big Bettys won't fit, it is that close. I will definatelly cut off the trailing edge. I guess I shouldn't worry about it until I get tired big enough to make contact, but it just looks strange to me for it to be the way it is.

Thanks for the replys and thanks for the offer Renny. We'll have to ride some time, both bikes share a lot of similarities.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

No, that's not phonetic
    Here is a file photo of mine:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Flyin Canine
    Yeah, I don't think you'll have a problem. These two pics are with a 2.5 maxxis minion. Not the fatest 2.5 ever but far from hitting the untrimmed DRS on my ride. I have also run a 2.5 nevegal and 2.5 blue groove back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outcast
    _MK, sent you an e-mail.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Cool. Thanks fellas.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho