mtbr member
    Aug 2007

RFX to 5Spot Trade?

Long, long story behind this. If you'd like my dissertation and current state of discontent please PM me for a novel.

Otherwise, anyone interested in trading? 2006 AnoBlack Medium RFX w/ Push'd DHX coil. I'd need a Medium 5spot.

Thanks.
    Last edited by OnePointFive; 04-30-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: deleted topics

Paste eater
    Nice whip. Does the "down grade" need to be a Turner?

banned
    I need to hear the "why".

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Nice whip. Does the "down grade" need to be a Turner?
    Yes, I will never ride another mountain bike that is not a Turner. You can hold me to that, Im looking for a medium Spot currently.

Jerk_Chicken: Once I receive some free time I can type up a lecture discerning why I need to change over to a Spot.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Already discussed options with him, several times. Awesome dude, but he is keeping his Spot and not wanting to sell/trade.

Long story short for you guys: I was scheduled to graduate from college (after SIX years) and was denied due to a number of reasons, so my schedule for the summer and fall has changed along with the locations of my riding. I will race multiple endurance races this summer to keep me sane. (100+ miles plus), I also need the bike to handle the occasionally shuttle run, huck session, etc. Spots seems to fit the bill well.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePointFive
    Yes, I will never ride another mountain bike that is not a Turner. You can hold me to that, Im looking for a medium Spot currently.

Thanks.

Suit yourself. limiting yourself to one brand, especially these days, is pretty narrow-minded if you ask me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Already discussed options with him, several times. Awesome dude, but he is keeping his Spot and not wanting to sell/trade.
    Coolio.
    Good luck with wrappin up school!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks

Thank you for the support!

DT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Suit yourself. limiting yourself to one brand, especially these days, is pretty narrow-minded if you ask me.
    I beg to differ. I may be young, but I have had experience with in the industry for quite some time. After working for 2 shops for the past 6 years, I have had the opportunity to ride a multitude of different manufacturers, along with seeing unlimited amounts of mountain bikes come in for service.
    Before I was hooked on Turners, I thought the same thing about the loyalty their customers hold.
    It is simply, the design works, it is stupid simple from even from an engineering standpoint, the industrial grade bushing design is superb, and the maintenance issue is stellar.

I repeat myself, I will not ride another mountain bike other than a Turner, period.

I do like other highend custom options, especially from small, homegrown frame builders, but at this point in my life, I can not financially afford multiple mountain bikes. Turners fit the bill, the do what I need to get done, and they do it w/ ease of mind. End of story.
    This is my PERSONAL opinion, please do not turn this into another internet argument and bashing contest.

Still on the lookout for a Medium 5spot....................

Surfin' da mountain
    I agree with you One Point Five.

The new Specialized Enduros and Stump Jumpers look so cool and are getting great ratings for their quaility of ride and handling. The upside is the company states they are not limited by the constraints of vendor designed componentry. But the problem I have with bikes like these is the propriety factor. The headsets are 1 1/8 at the top and 1 1/2 at the bottom. The shocks and other like parts are made by Specialized and Specialized only. This causes problems if one of those components is unreliable and you want to upgrade. Who do you tern to?

This was a big factor when I replaced my AMP Research with a Turner. The AMP was a good bike in its day. However it was not very durable and there were issues with propriety (Brake Tabs - for example - were not standard). So I bought the Turner because it rides great and aftermarket parts fit!

I spec'd my XCE and now my SPOT the way I want it, it rides & handles great, and its durable. Turner's Customer Service is great and replacement parts are easy to order - but in my experience AMP's Cust Serv and Parts Dept were great too.

Other favorites of mine are Titus & Santa Cruz. I hear great things, but can't speak from experience.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    There are certainly lots of companies that make fine bikes. Required maintenance, and how they treat you when something goes wrong is what sets Turner aside from most, if not all of them. Getting treated like a sponsored racer is a lot different from "if your lucky, it might be warrantied, in which case you're eligible to pay cost for a "second" which may have alignment issues or a different finish. Customer pays any additional shipping and finish costs" (- and if it breaks again your SOL).

I've certainly been through the later scenario multiple times with some very high-end companies. Turner is the only one that has given me the full "sponsored racer" treatment. Even if the bikes were all on par, that level of customer service would be worth something extra to me. The fact that I've been much happier with Turners, compared to any of the other brands I have owned, adds to that level of satisfaction.

So I guess the other way to look at it is, "If a brand (any brand) consistently exceeds your expectations every time you interact with their product, why consider other brands?"

mtbr member
    Long, long story behind this. If you'd like my dissertation and current state of discontent please PM me for a novel.

Otherwise, anyone interested in trading? 2006 AnoBlack Medium RFX w/ Push'd DHX coil. I'd need a Medium 5spot.

Thanks.
    Just curious, why trade the RFX to a Spot? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Story is coming tonight. I'll type it up and post it up for the world to see, uneventful, but means something to me.....

Still in the market for a Spot, anyone, anyone.???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Full length sob story: Enjoy!

Here goes, as I mentioned earlier, I was scheduled to graduate from college (after 6 years) in 2 weeks, I still have to fulfill some work, interneship, etc. which will be completed the rest of this year. Summer, fall, and winter. I had a position as an intern working at Snowshoe Mountain on promoting events, bike shop wrench, etc....any and everything (my major is outdoor recreation). Since I have 3 more classes to take this summer, Im not going to be working at Snowshoe.
    Part Two: Gas and finances. I can not afford to travel this summer as normal. Windrock, Snowshoe, etc. are out of the question, currently. Our local shuttle trails don't warrant a full downhill bike and can be riden (I think) on a beefy built Spot.
    Part Three: I want to get back into endurance racing. I have a good background in endurance events, ORRAM, NightTrain, TreeShaker, etc. and love long epic rides. There are quite a few long races locally. Plus, I will be living at home (outside Charlotte, NC) and the local trails are friendly, rooty, rocky, rolling stuff, RFX is too much bike. I will be riding these trails alot, training on these trails, and even racing some. I currently ride them now on the RFX and have a blast, but it does slow me down and I can feel the weight after 30 miles or so.
    Part Four: I would build the Spot well, run 2 shocks (air and coil) and a strong, light wheelset (I9's built around 5.1ds, 20mm front, bolt on rear) most likely a PIKE coil 454 up front, pDHXc/pRP23 our back, Juicy 7s, X.0 components, typical Homer approved parts, coming off my RFX. Tire choices are limitless, running 2.1s 2.35s and keeping my DH set up for the occasional trip to the hills for shuttle runs.

Lastly, Im highly considering this trade out option because I don't feel as if I will use the RFX to it fullest potential and do not want to carry around the excess weight.
    I have considered the option of a 5pack, but would not help out in the weight area.

We will see how everything comes out, hopefully something will come up (anyone have a 5 Spot?). All in all, I don't really care at the end of the day, as long as I can look back on an awesome ride. Im being picky here, yes, all I wanna do is RIDE MY BIKE.

So there, that's my long dissertation on why Im trading the RFX for a Spot. Yes, it may seem stupid and pointless to others. This is my decision and these are my problems I need to work out. Thanks for reading if you have made it this far, go ride!

mtbr member
    You almost have me sold, too bad my Spot is a 2005(HL).

Full length sob story: Enjoy!

Here goes, as I mentioned earlier, I was scheduled to graduate from college (after 6 years) in 2 weeks, I still have to fulfill some work, interneship, etc. which will be completed the rest of this year. Summer, fall, and winter. I had a position as an intern working at Snowshoe Mountain on promoting events, bike shop wrench, etc....any and everything (my major is outdoor recreation). Since I have 3 more classes to take this summer, Im not going to be working at Snowshoe.
    Part Two: Gas and finances. I can not afford to travel this summer as normal. Windrock, Snowshoe, etc. are out of the question, currently. Our local shuttle trails don't warrant a full downhill bike and can be riden (I think) on a beefy built Spot.
    Part Three: I want to get back into endurance racing. I have a good background in endurance events, ORRAM, NightTrain, TreeShaker, etc. and love long epic rides. There are quite a few long races locally. Plus, I will be living at home (outside Charlotte, NC) and the local trails are friendly, rooty, rocky, rolling stuff, RFX is too much bike. I will be riding these trails alot, training on these trails, and even racing some. I currently ride them now on the RFX and have a blast, but it does slow me down and I can feel the weight after 30 miles or so.
    Part Four: I would build the Spot well, run 2 shocks (air and coil) and a strong, light wheelset (I9's built around 5.1ds, 20mm front, bolt on rear) most likely a PIKE coil 454 up front, pDHXc/pRP23 our back, Juicy 7s, X.0 components, typical Homer approved parts, coming off my RFX. Tire choices are limitless, running 2.1s 2.35s and keeping my DH set up for the occasional trip to the hills for shuttle runs.

Lastly, Im highly considering this trade out option because I don't feel as if I will use the RFX to it fullest potential and do not want to carry around the excess weight.
    I have considered the option of a 5pack, but would not help out in the weight area.

We will see how everything comes out, hopefully something will come up (anyone have a 5 Spot?). All in all, I don't really care at the end of the day, as long as I can look back on an awesome ride. Im being picky here, yes, all I wanna do is RIDE MY BIKE.

So there, that's my long dissertation on why Im trading the RFX for a Spot. Yes, it may seem stupid and pointless to others. This is my decision and these are my problems I need to work out. Thanks for reading if you have made it this far, go ride!

thats right living legend

Sounds like you could afford plenty of road trips if you just kept what you had? That's an awful lot O bling.... and yes it does seem "stupid and pointless".
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Sounds like you could afford plenty of road trips if you just kept what you had? That's an awful lot O bling.... and yes it does seem "stupid and pointless".
    Keep in mind how my RFX is currently built. I already have a full X.O drivetrain, my Hadley/729s are being swapped with a friend for I9s/5.1ds, everything else I currently own.
    It is stupid and pointless, already stated it. Thanks for the reassurance.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind how my RFX is currently built. I already have a full X.O drivetrain, my Hadley/729s are being swapped with a friend for I9s/5.1ds, everything else I currently own.
    No need to keep explaining yourself - makes sense if you want only 1 bike and 24/endurance racing is a priority.........

mtbr member
    My wife did have our camera with her at work. I'll send you some pics of my 5spot in the morning after I get home from work.

thats right living legend
    My pleasure.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Unfit Norwegian
    Is the RFX really that much heavier/bigger than a Spot? 0.5 lbs or something? I'd just get a FiveSpot rear triangle and make it a 5-pack. That way you keep all options open, and also get to keep that nice RFX.