Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chaplin Turner Overdrive

RF6 TNT review - MBR

Apologies for the quality - the test is between RF6, Moment, ML8 and Nomad. I didn't realise the Moment was that much cheaper than the Pack / RF6 in the UK - (£1300 vs £1600) - I always thought it was the other way round - weird. The review doesn't really say an awful lot but I thought some of you over the pond might want to have a look...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That magazine has the worst reviews ever, I cannot stand it. Where do they get their ideas from? Not just talking about this review, the mag in general is cr@p

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    MBR's bike tests are almost always a complete waste of time. They often set themselves a specific criteria for the test (eg comparing Horst Link vs VPP), which would be a great idea if they didn't then completely ignore it and focus on everything but it - and then remember what they were supposed to be covering and bung in a quick paragraph at the end by way of summary.

At least they don't run headset tests and deliberately leave out King, do articles about pedal cars, or devote half the magazine to the activities of the staff, though, like some other UK mags
    I haven't fallen off, I'm just having a rest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Moment as tested with a Fox DHX 5-which is a £125 upgrade on the Ells, costs £1824...

That's current prices from Freeborn's website and seen as they are the sole importer they should know. Unlike MBR who seem to make a habit of things like this, they've most likely printed the price they can have one for if they give it a sweet review...

Does MBR stand for MuppetBikeRider?
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Rolling
    We all hate reviews that give Ellsworth a more positive light than Turner! Thus, this is tripe.

Post this on the Ells board and you will get overwhelmingly positive responses.

Chaplin Turner Overdrive
    MBR's not such a bad mag but they get a lot of stick, some of it justified. The routes for example - why are they always the wrong way round?! I thought it was just my group, but it seems that everyone agrees that they always seem to take you up the best descents so they can give you a long fireroad blast on the way back... Which is nice.

With this review the Moment was given joint top marks in part because of the price, so if that is incorrect as Paul5s says, then that's a pretty basic error.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    We all hate reviews that give Ellsworth a more positive light than Turner! Thus, this is tripe.

LoL

A Turner will never outpoint an Ells in a MBR review in future as it ain't a Horst link bike any longer and we all know that MBR lurves the Horst link it's worth at least an extra point or maybe two

Why do magazines complain about bikes like the Pack being too heavy when built for HD drop use complete with a full outfit of Diablus kit and comparing it to a trailbike build on something else? 'X' bike feels much nippier than the Pack and is easier to climb on, well durr, it's 6lbs lighter!
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    MBR often base their reviews on value and performance and when they do that they ought to give two rating - a value rating and a performance rating like here on the MTBR product review boards.
    I often find their reviews a bit confusing because they regard the price as a very imporpant parameter for the final rating. and it can be fx difficult to figure out which frame they regard as the best.

But overall I find that it is one of the better MTB magazines out there.

Lay off the Levers
    My only gripe is how so many frame reviews seem to talk about poor component selection, then go on to review the bike in a setup that they've already asserted is holding the bike back. Don't they have a few stems and tires lying around?

Anyway it's always good to have another review to look at. (but I know we prefer user reviews *cough*MTBR*cough*)

Thanks!
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

The Ancient One

MBR is relatively good

I've always though MBR was one of the best bicycling mags.

Of course that's like saying a particular restaurant is good because you're less likely to get food poisoning there.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    I've always though MBR was one of the best bicycling mags.
    MBR's one of my favorites... I liked it better when they used to run the booty pics....

my only beef with this review is the comment about geometry. I've never thought of a 70mm stem as being long? WTF. I can imagine climbing being improved with a 50mm stem even if the bike was lots lighter. Maybe it just didn't fit the tester?

Note to MBR: If you can't get the front end of any bike with a 70mm stem up, you may want to consider lifting weights! start with 1lbs and work your way up...

Built to Last
    Does MBR stand for MuppetBikeRider? [/QUOTE]

'MulletBikeRiders'

we all Know Turners Rock. 100% solid all around.

mtbr member
    They are not comparing egg's with egg's, and certainly didn't factor in the possibility of one of them cracking

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    LoL

A Turner will never outpoint an Ells in a MBR review in future as it ain't a Horst link bike any longer and we all know that MBR lurves the Horst link it's worth at least an extra point or maybe two

Why do magazines complain about bikes like the Pack being too heavy when built for HD drop use complete with a full outfit of Diablus kit and comparing it to a trailbike build on something else? 'X' bike feels much nippier than the Pack and is easier to climb on, well durr, it's 6lbs lighter!
    Yeah, the 6pack frame is a whole .5lbs heavier than the moment with an equivalent shock.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Moment 10 Nomade 10 ... Turner 9

When MBR published a review of the 5-Spot giving it a 10 the Turner Forum was cheering ... now MBR is horrible because it gives a 9 to a single pivot design? ... Guys ... isn't it time to be a bit more adult around here?

There might (slightly) better bikes out there than a (fake-)Turner

... and most people seem to miss the most interesting comment in the article that botique bikes are about the "bling" not the quality of the ride. It is VERY hard to beat the quality of Specialized, Kona, Giant etc ...

PS I LOVE my Pushed 5-spot ... thanks to PUSH
    Last edited by Davide; 10-30-2005 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    MBR= "Moment bought review"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, the 6pack frame is a whole .5lbs heavier than the moment with an equivalent shock.
    It's not the frame weights I'm talking about look at the spec of the parts on the pack, then look at the Ells spec, there is a large difference in the style of build with the Pack being a lot more suited to dropping, the cranks set alone is a ~1lb heavier on the Pack. Why they don't try to get the frames built with similar or even better identical builds I'll never know...
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    That magazine has the worst reviews ever, I cannot stand it. Where do they get their ideas from? Not just talking about this review, the mag in general is cr@p
    Its never been considered a quality read!
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

As an objective person, unbiased yet a happy Ellsworth owner, I see nothing wrong with this review. Indeed, its quality and the results are not surprising at all.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    MBR= "Moment bought review"
    These sort of posts are really pathetic..

ummm beating a dead horse by any chance?
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    There might (slightly) better bikes out there than a (fake-)Turner
    And then again, there might not.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Roy
    mtbr member
    It's not the frame weights I'm talking about look at the spec of the parts on the pack, then look at the Ells spec, there is a large difference in the style of build with
    That's his point - all things being equal the 2 frames are within .5 lbs.

Bike to the Bone...
    It's not the frame weights I'm talking about look at the spec of the parts on the pack, then look at the Ells spec, there is a large difference in the style of build with the Pack being a lot more suited to dropping, the cranks set alone is a ~1lb heavier on the Pack. Why they don't try to get the frames built with similar or even better identical builds I'll never know...
    While I think you're right here, they're comparing apples to oranges, when they want oranges. But, to play devil's advocate I think reviewers should compare the bikes by what the manufacturer sends their way. I don't know what they told all 4 builders they wanted in their bike, to test a long-travel trailbike, a free-ride rig, XC racer (hehe). If MBR said they wanted to test a long-travel trailbike, then Turner should have fitted the RF6 lighter, or send a 5-Spot. But I really don't know how magazines get the bikes set up, and what they tell the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Could you tell us which month of MBR this review came from. In north america we usually get the issues a month later than you but I'll try to find it because I would like to read the other bikes reviews to see how the comments compare. I've found over the years that sometimes it's only a sentence here and there that you have to put in perspective when they do a shootout and you get a much more realistic idea of what the reviewer really thinks. After all they can't be negative because manufacturers are going to stop their advertising but often there is that "hidden" comment that let's you see they really liked or didn't like a specific point without putting too much emphasys on it so the manufacturers are happy.

Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodUK
    Apologies for the quality - the test is between RF6, Moment, ML8 and Nomad. I didn't realise the Moment was that much cheaper than the Pack / RF6 in the UK - (£1300 vs £1600) - I always thought it was the other way round - weird. The review doesn't really say an awful lot but I thought some of you over the pond might want to have a look...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    MBR bike reviews are utter rubbish.

Firstly they always set a bike up for the way they want it irrespective of whether the machine has been designed to cope with the resulting change in geometry / weight balance.

Then they always want a shorter stem and riser bars, even on XC race bikes.

They are actually in Specilaized pocket hence the constant Horst Link propaganda.

And according to them, a Giro Zen helmet will cure all ill handling traits they have created with their complete butchering of a bikes geometry for the sake of looking the part.

A 9 for the Heavier and more Free ride set up Turner, well it should have had a proper trail set up shouldn't it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast