Thread: RF6 demo bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

RF6 demo bike

Hi. I am the proud owner of a RF6 (I believe that is what Dave Turner said it would be called) demo bike. Yes, the non-HL design. I bought the bike two Fridays ago (thanks Jared) and picked up the bike directly from Turner that afternoon in Murreita, CA. I finally got to ride the bike yesterday, and I thought I'd share a few impressions with you all.

First, an important disclaimer. I have been mountain biking for about 15 years -- the last ten years on a 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2. I've been a student my whole life and have never been able to even consider replacing my old hardtail (for obvious financial reasons), until recently when I started getting paid as a graduate student at my lab and saved enough money for the bike. The RF6 is my first full suspension bike and I really haven't had much experience riding full-suspension bikes aside from short rides on my friends' bikes, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Okay, back to the RF6. By the time I called Turner, all the DHX-coil/Van36 equipped bikes had been sold. I bought their "light" RF6 equipped with the DHX Air and Talas 36 which came in around 33 lbs. The day I received the bike, I tried riding around on it on campus. I was amazed how easy it was to ride up stairs on the bike. And riding back down? Butter. It's incredible how much technology has advanced since I bought my old Stumpie.

Yesterday I took a short ride around Sycamore Canyon (for those of you in the LA area). The bike was very easy to climb up fire roads, and I found myself much less tired than when I had ridden the same trail with my old hardtail. Seated climbing was very smooth and I didn't think that there was much bobbing while standing and mashing the pedals, particularly for a 6-inch travel bike. And I definitely do not have what I call a smooth pedalling stroke.

Coming back down some single track, I found the bike very responsive, easily flickable, and very smooth. I'm not sure I can comment on "brake jack" because I'm not sure what it is. I can tell you that everything felt very smooth, even under braking. The bike is easy to loft, and took a 2-3 foot drop very smoothly and very easily.

In any case, if you couldn't tell, I really like the RF6. I think it's a wonderful bike and am looking forward to many years of enjoyable riding with the bike. Unfortunately I really can't give anyone a direct comparison between the HL-equipped 6-Pack vs. the TNT-equipped RF6 because I haven't ridden a 6-Pack. All I can say is that the RF6 feels very smooth and is already taking my riding to another level.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Cool beans dawg, I believe you are the first actual TNT owner on the boards! Welcome to the forums and one of the best bikes on the planet!

No, that's not phonetic
    Nice score. Congrats. I'm still loving my demo Pack from last year. The gift which just keeps on giving.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

Oh, THAT coil/coil Pack...

Quote Originally Posted by stib
    By the time I called Turner, all the DHX-coil/Van36 equipped bikes had been sold. I bought their "light" RF6 equipped with the DHX Air and Talas 36 which came in around 33 lbs.
    Erm, one of those bikes just arrived in the foyer of my lavishly appointed - not - office. I apparently snagged the last of the L coil/coils, though I was close to going air/air.

For my weight (240 ready to rumble), for my terrain (rough, technical, out on the middle of nowhere) and for my style (if I don't clean it, I'm goin' down hard ), I opted for the springs instead of the compressed air.

I'd post a photo, but a pair of cardboard boxes makes for less than inspiring viewing... will lob up a shot when she's been rebuilt - swapping in a King h/set off my now-for-sale (hint hint!) XL XCE, swap brakes to moto style, change bars and seat, blah wibble.

Can't freaking WAIT!!

Must thank Jarett for ace service, but what else can you expect these days? Damn customer service overachievers...promise *and* deliver? Who'd have thunk it?
    Cheers,

Robbo

Eat my shorts, build a bridge and get over it - Devil

mtbr member

Very nice

But you better hurry up and clean those tire marks off the wall before the little lady sees them!

Enjoy the new ride.

C

midnight skulker

... and if we just ...

Hi. I am the proud owner of a RF6 (I believe that is what Dave Turner said it would be called) demo bike. Yes, the non-HL design. I bought the bike two Fridays ago (thanks Jared) and picked up the bike directly from Turner that afternoon in Murreita, CA.
    Oh Yeah! I just did the same thing, but mine is still waiting for me at Turner. I will be picking mine up when I get to the mainland in a couple of weeks. I am so freakin stoked to ride it, it's silly.

Thanks for the preview/review... Its going to be a long couple of weeks.....

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    That's classic, perfect white wall with a tire mark on it. My old place had those everywhere.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member

One pic

Okay, just a quick one...

Swapped 50mm stem for a 90mm, left FSA h/set on for the time being - still wondering if I somehow hang onto my XCE as well. Will prob swap tyres for something a little lighter and put the Maxxis' (Maxxii?) away for resort work.

Had to muck around to get the Louise brakes sorted - swapped hoses to moto style and reshimmed rear caliper. Magura is a pretty unloved brand in Oz, so I'm in two minds whether to sell them and put the proceeds towards something else. Then again, should be no dramas getting spares on line.

Only had a chance to blat around the front yard, but it's easy to tell I'm stepping up a few notches in susp sophistication... ride tomorrow arvo, I hope!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Robbo

mtbr member

Worst photo ever...

Sorry, that's just embarrassing... With guys like Tcheeze on the board, I feel like a goose. Will make up for it out on the trail tomorrow...
    Cheers,

Robbo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    so when are you going to paint your walls again?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hey guys, any ideas on how to get the tire marks off the walls? Or am I screwed? I was barely able to convince my wife to let me keep the bike in that room...

Robbo and Prof. Chaos. I'm sure you guys will have a great time on your bikes - I know I am on mine. I can't wait for the weekend to go out riding again.

magic eraser

Hey guys, any ideas on how to get the tire marks off the walls? Or am I screwed? I was barely able to convince my wife to let me keep the bike in that room...

Robbo and Prof. Chaos. I'm sure you guys will have a great time on your bikes - I know I am on mine. I can't wait for the weekend to go out riding again.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclea...er/index.shtml
    i saw a commercial for this: mr clean magic eraser. safe on walls too i believe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the advice unfluid one. I'll definitely give it a try. Gotta try it before the wifey freaks out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have those marks on my walls all the time - I use a dish-washing sponge - the kind with a scrubber side - and some ajax or similar powdered cleanser - takes off the marks just fine...

mtbr member
    If you're going to keep the bike in that room you should color match the paint and keep a brush and small jar of touch up paint nearby.

15 post in this thread and 8 of them somehow how pertain tire marks on the wall. Another first on the ever practical Turner forum. Good luck with the wall. Enjoy the bike.

PSI
    I want that one

clean all

fresh wipes, baby wipes whatever you call them in the states. they must have some mutant cleaning agent in them cause they'll clean anything...(makes you wonder if you should use em on human babys) I use em to clean my bike as well - nice and shiny

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    15 post in this thread and 8 of them somehow how pertain tire marks on the wall. Another first on the ever practical Turner forum.
    We are a very domestic lot after all.

mtbr member
    Use your old tires to completely cover the wall with scuff marks and convince your wife that its the latest in faux finishes.

Only do it to one wall so you can further impress her by calling it an accent wall.