Oji
    Jun 2008

Revised Burner geo?

Apology if this has been posted. I did a search but didn't find an answer.

I've seen reference to a revision to the Burner geometry currently underway, apparently (according to written rumor elsewhere AFAIK) following feedback from recent demo days. Can anyone having accurate knowledge (DT?) comment on what changes are being considered/made. I haven't ridden one yet, but in general would welcome a bit higher BB than 13". I'm careful with my feet through rock gardens but still have pedal strikes riding my 2011 Spot with a 650b front, 175 mm crank arms, and 14" BB. Hoping for the Goldilocks BB height at 13+" but less than 14" at 30% sag.

Cliff

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I believe the prototype burner had a 12.75" BB. I think he is bumping it up to 13".

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    low BBs are low for a reason. IME, you get used to it and it's not a problem. Lower CG and railing corners is worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by climr View Post
    low BBs are low for a reason. IME, you get used to it and it's not a problem. Lower CG and railing corners is worth it.
    I agree, it's a worthwhile tradeoff. 13 or just a hair higher is good, and the latest Shimano XT pedals are tough as nails.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Would love to hear from the folks who bought Burner protos.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    from the turner burner thread:

We are selling off the demo Burners right now. The difference between these and the production which will be available in December will be BB height. As much as some want the lower/slacker new school geo, it is out of most riders ability in rocky terrain, this was confirmed in Moab after 3 days of post ride interviews.The bikes we have now are 12.75" and this will be going up to 13" (with 'short' tires) for production which is starting in a few weeks. The 67* HA of these seemed good for almost everyone, although some needed an explanation of why we were going slacker on a 'trail' bike. Old habits die hard and I resemble that as well, but with the Burner HA testing going from 66-68, a bike of this 'class' is going to make the most people happy in the 67 range, depending on fork of course.

Grand Master Jedi
    Us folks in New England need 13"+ BB's... We still have trails with rocks and log crossings that cause clearance issues with all these new low BB's! I'd order a 'NE Special' 5-Spot with a high (14"!) BB if it was offered!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    Us folks in New England need 13"+ BB's... We still have trails with rocks and log crossings that cause clearance issues with all these new low BB's! I'd order a 'NE Special' 5-Spot with a high (14"!) BB if it was offered!
    Totally agree and I live here as well. 13" is utterly ridiculous no matter how much anti-squat a DW Link bike has. And don't tell me all about timing and ratcheting pedals because the sh*t we ride through up here that only goes so far. It's a brutal area and bikes take a beating. Dirt bikes also and I own 2 of those. No Burner in my future but I hope you guys that buy em they work out good.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Totally agree and I live here as well. 13" is utterly ridiculous no matter how much anti-squat a DW Link bike has. And don't tell me all about timing and ratcheting pedals because the sh*t we ride through up here that only goes so far. It's a brutal area and bikes take a beating. Dirt bikes also and I own 2 of those. No Burner in my future but I hope you guys that buy em they work out good.
    You guys make a good point. Over the last 5 years, my regional riding has evolved into a mix of more gnarly, old-school, Forest Service type trails, which definitely favor a higher BB, and newer bermy, flow-style trails, which are a lot more fun with a lower BB.

Current DW Sultan + 140 mm Fox 34 + Ardent 2.4s = Nearly 14" BB

Get 'em while they're hot!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty bad. I plan to install a 160mm fork with a +1 degree Angleset to raise the BB on my current spot a bit. Even with tall tires and a 150mm fork, I still suffer way too many rock strikes (and I've been riding this stuff for 20years so I know my timing).

I miss Eastern Woods Research... They had sweet geometry (for that era).