Grand Master Jedi

Revelation World Cup XX Opinions?

I have an opportunity to score a 2012 Rockshox Revelation World Cup XX (15mm Maxle) and I'm looking for thoughts/opinions of any Turner riders who might have this fork. I'm 6'3" and about 185-190 RtR and I'm wondering if this fork is stiff/strong enough for me? Any setup advice?

I'm riding a 2011 5.Spot, mostly super-tight New England terrain.

Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just got the Revelation World Cup for an upcoming 5.spot build. I went with the non XX version because I didn't really need the remote lockout and the extra handlebar clutter that it requires. Haven't ridden it yet, but it looks good and that's the important part, right.

From what I've read it is supposed to be stiff and strong.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I love the Revelation on my 2010 5 spot. I have the 20 mm thru axle so no help on opinion about the 15mm. I am about 200 rtr and it is pretty solid to me. I would say that the week or so that I had my for 36 on the spot the thing was SOLID.

I would recommend the 20mm thru axle over the 15 mm based on no data it just seems like it should be more solid. I don't understand the need for a remote lockout on a fork but I am willing to learn...

Bob

Grand Master Jedi
    Yeah, I wanted the 20mm but couldn't get it thru my source. 15mm is what I can get so it is what it is. Thanks for the feedback though!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Just to be clear, I don't see a ton of difference between 20mm thru axle and. 9mm quick release front wheel and 32mm front fork. Throw a 36mm front on there and wow is that thing stable...

I assume that based on my observations you should be fine with a 15 mm front end axle.... Assuming that we have anything close to the same riding conditions and style. Highly unlikely. The joys and precision of internet opinions....

Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    what r you waiting for, get it! set up should be a breeze, you are looking at dual air shock so make sure you understand which valve is which. I think the fork should be marked with weight guides and sag settings etc... you also would have a nice set of rebound features etc for fine tuning, perfect for adjust-ability on your type of bike and and trails, 15 mm is stiff, the fork will be super light, and even though i dont know what fork you are replacing, you will likely feel it improve your ride and help advance your skills.

Grand Master Jedi
    I'm replacing a Fox Vanilla 32 RLC (9mm QR) with this fork.

I've always had the feeling that the Vanilla wasn't quite setup right I have the heavy spring in it, with the preload cranked all the way down, and it still feels too soft.

After switching from a Santa Cruz Blur LT to the 5.Spot I realized that the fork was now REALLY outmatched, so I needed an upgrade.

I didn't want (nor do I think I need) a 36-class fork, mainly because I ride this bike as a trail bike, so we do a lot of climbing! Also, although the terrain around here is highly technical, its SLOW technical and I don't think the additional chassis-stiffness of the big forks would help much under these conditions.

I'm going to try and keep the overall weight of this bike down as much as I can so I'm going to try this fork and see how it goes.

Thanks all for your input!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    I'm replacing a Fox Vanilla 32 RLC (9mm QR) with this fork.

I didn't want (nor do I think I need) a 36-class fork, mainly because I ride this bike as a trail bike, so we do a lot of climbing! Also, although the terrain around here is highly technical, its SLOW technical and I don't think the additional chassis-stiffness of the big forks would help much under these conditions.

I'm going to try and keep the overall weight of this bike down as much as I can so I'm going to try this fork and see how it goes.

Thanks all for your input!
    We have the same forks... You have made a very wise choice.

I think the Revelation is MUCH nicer than the Fox Vanilla. The Rock shox damper seems much better to me. Why bike companies keep specing Fox forks is NOT because they work the best.

I would agree that you dont need the 36 stiffness based on what you wrote. once my shoulder heals I am going to experiment more with the 36 on the front and see if the extra weight is justified. I think it might be... which means I need to find a lyrik... or zoke 55...

so many forks so little time

Bob

Grand Master Jedi
    Yeah, I was looking at a Lyric as well, but its nearly 2lbs heavier when its all said and done. The additional 2lbs doesn't seem worth it if I'm not hucking nor running at high speed.

I'm very curious to see how the carbon crown will improve the steering precision...

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Yeah, I was looking at a Lyric as well, but its nearly 2lbs heavier when its all said and done. The additional 2lbs doesn't seem worth it if I'm not hucking nor running at high speed.

I'm very curious to see how the carbon crown will improve the steering precision...
    That was my thought before riding the bigger fork. To be honest, I don't believe there was much effect of that extra weight. More experiments to verify for myself, but if you look at the build threads 36 forks are very common. I put an external bottom cup on my 2011 s headset which may be problematic if I settle on the bigger fork for that bike. My 2010 keeps the revelation.

I plan to keep my 2010 light and let the 2011 get a bit more solid.

When I get my right arm back in 30 days I will post less and tinker more...

When will you get to ride the fork? Is there snow on the ground there?

Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ive just bought the 2012 fox float 150mm kashima coated forks (15mm thru axel) for my 2010 5spot
    and they rule!! best forks ive ever ridden, i had the 2010 revelation (not the xx world cups tho!) and fox really do knock spots off rockshox in my opinion!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Hope you can get a tapered steerer. That makes almost as much of a difference as fatter stanchions.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

My cup runneth over
    Went from the Fox 32 Vanilla to Lyrik 160 U-turn - trail riding in Colorado. Have yet to wind it down. Not discounting the Rev (especially at 2 lbs lighter). Def some advantage to the tunability of the air Rev. Even though I had the 15 mm TA on the Fox, I hated it on the Spot.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Hope you can get a tapered steerer. That makes almost as much of a difference as fatter stanchions.

_MK
    Yeah, the fork is tapered, I piece carbon crown. I'm hoping that makes up for the smaller stanchions.

mtbr member

The revelation will be more....

Yeah, the fork is tapered, I piece carbon crown. I'm hoping that makes up for the smaller stanchions.
    RELIABLE!!!! I have a 5yr old revelation that has never leaked or been rebuilt. I Have a float 140 that has just been rebuilt that is 3 yrs old. I like fox forks but they leak alot! I would go with the Revelation.
    Too wet to ride!