mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Revelation/Pike Set Up Question

I have been running this fork (revelation) on my spot for the last few months and I am now trying to dial in a few of the smaller technical setting.

Currently I am running pos pressure at 120 and neg at 110. This is giving me approx 30mm of sag and the fork feels fantastic - very plush and great small bump complience. Rebound is set almost at full speed.

Each ride I am getting close to full travel at some stage, with a few small jumps, drops offs etc. I weight about 170 with all the riding gear on.

So now I have started playing with the adjustable compression damping to "help combat brake dive and squatting under hard cornering" as the manual says. The manual goes on to say, and this is the bit I don't get.

"The compression setting does not adversly effect your forks performance over high speed impacts"

This is what I don't get or understand how the fork operates. Is a brake dive relatively slow in comparison to hitting trail objects at speed. How does the fork work internally that slower speed compression can be weeded out as apposed to high speed. Would not brake dive look very similar to the fork as say a drop off over rocks or a tree root at relatively slow speed on a technical track.

Appreciate the knowledge from Homers. Thanks.

rr
    I don't do PC
    The compression adjustment is LOW speed, it will control brake dive or smaller impacts at lower speeds where you would use the top half of the travel, so essentially it's controlling the top of the travel. Once you start using more travel, like at higher speeds, or say you do a drop to flat where you use all the travel then it doesn't affect that, it has an internal shim stack that controls the high speed comp. I believe.

10 psi diff between the pos/neg chambers will cause the fork to ride "higher" in the travel overall or a firmer feel at lower speeds so less comp. might be desired, most folks seem to like an equal psi betweem chambers which makes for a plusher ride at lower speeds.

Just for reference, I have one on my Burner so I probably run it a tad firmer than on a Spot, I'm 200 even and run 135pos/130neg and the comp. dial at about halfway. If I run it full open it feels like the fork dives a bit too much for me.

mtbr member
    I have a revelation on my Spot - I would go with equal pressure - in fact I typically stop putting air in the negative chamber as soon as I see the fork is about to lose some of it's full travel...(if you kept going with air in the negative.chamber eventually you would have a fork that had way less than 130mm travel)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

thanks for your help guys :)

Should b good