mtbr member

Revelation Air U Turn Review

Given all the what fork for a 5 Spot threads I thought I would post my comparison / review of a Revelation air U turn (no poploc) and speak to how it compares with a 130mm Z1 FR. To give some context I ride pretty technical rocky, rooty North East trails- and am no light weight at 190. I decided to buy the Rev due to all the Rock Shox hype and I wanted to see how a “shorter” fork would handle on the bike. I currently have the fork set to 120 psi + and – with the compression knob about 1/3 on – and rebound set almost full fast.

I find the fork very very smooth and plush. Just about as buttery as the Z1 in fact. With the compression knob on 1/3 rd there is no real brake dive, fully open it does dive too much under hard braking. I have not dropped off anything more than about a two footer but it feels plenty stiff to me - equally as stiff as the Z1 IMO. Where the fork really excels is the climbing – thanks to the lower A-C measurement. I cleaned stuff I have never cleaned before I got the Rev. Also, I am much quicker on the ups as my front wheel is not wandering all over the show. I also love the “sportier” handling of the Rev over the Z1 – on the fast twisty stuff I am quicker and don’t run out of trail like I used to on the Z1 sometimes. Until I got the Rev I thought I liked the slower handling of the Z1 but now I am not so sure. I found the Rev stable and predictable on the rough and fairly fast descents but the Z1 does have an edge here - the benefit of a higher A-C measurement and coil springs! I do not really notice the reduced weight but I am no weenie. Maybe I would if I dropped 30 pounds and got my body fat down to 4%. Not a very scientific review and nly my opinion but in short if you are considering a new 5 Spot fork and are looking for a good climbing fork with sporty/snappy steering and aren’t doing big hucks put a Revelation on your shopping list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ran a Z1 FR on my 5-spot and I echo the comments about handling. The A-C distance just screwed the handling on the Spot up too much in my opinion for XC riding.

mtbr member

Z1 - Revelation

Thanks for the info, I have an '03 Spot with a Z1, its pretty worn at this point, needs new bushings & seals. I'm thinking of dumping the old Z1 & buying a new fork. I'm looking at the Revelation or the new Fox 32 Vanilla, does anyone have any thoughts?

Happy Trails

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmoose
    Thanks for the info, I have an '03 Spot with a Z1, its pretty worn at this point, needs new bushings & seals. I'm thinking of dumping the old Z1 & buying a new fork. I'm looking at the Revelation or the new Fox 32 Vanilla, does anyone have any thoughts?

Happy Trails

I've been on the Rev. Uturn for a few months. It's been an excellent fork. I also have a Pushed Talas, and I prefer the Rev. Very plush, the dual air is infinately tuneable, plenty stiff and the motion control is very adjustable, and can be felt with small incremental changes.

Push will be working on them soon, an added bonus.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I loved mine too

until the 3rd ride when it developed a clunk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Unlike the Fox shocks...

Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree
    until the 3rd ride when it developed a clunk
    That come out of the box w/ a Clunk

Members who have read this thread: 0