Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Anytime. Anywhere.

Smile Retiring with my 5 Spot

I am retiring at this month and moving to Cumberland BC. I am on my second 5 Spot (2011) now, and my old 03 is going to a guest bike. At 55 I am pretty damned excited to move out to Vancouver Island to a true mountain bike Mecca. I have been working in Edmonton, AB for the past 8 years in the army and am quite tired of the big city. My wife and I traveled around BC looking for a good area that we could afford a decent house and narrowed it down to the Comox Valley for many reasons, not just mtb. At the visitor centre mountain biking is featured prominently, and Cumberland was the first leg of the BC Bike Race this year. Some of the trails are right at the edge of town with others a rideable distance. I am hoping my old fashioned 26" wheels still work out there.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Congrats. Hook up with the river rats and start building trail.. Cumberland and the Comox valley are wonderful
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Congratulations!! Enjoy the retirement life!

My cup runneth over
    Nice. All the homers will be stopping by to take advantage of the guest bike.

mtbr member
    Congrats !!!!!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Good move MrT. Cumberland / Courtney is a cool locale. Plus you'll have the trails on Hornby and in Campbell River within reach. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    wow nice place....i'm sure the 5 spot will be right at home. congratz..
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Good move MrT. Cumberland / Courtney is a cool locale. Plus you'll have the trails on Hornby and in Campbell River within reach. Happy trails!
    BC is full of great riding spots but the Comox valley is affordable for this old pensioner, not too big, has all the amenities, and no real winter. There are loads of great riding within easy driving distance as well.

Here in Edmonton there are some good trails but there is little within a couple of hours drive. I love going to Jasper and Kananaskis but they are really to far for day trips.

I want to get involved in trail maintenance and building not only to give back to the community but for personal fulfillment as well.

13 days left in the Army!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    IMO, you should keep the 11 as a guest bike and sell the 03.

I am sure every potential guest agrees.

Enjoy the good life!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I am jealous, I will work for 20 more years! I was in Seattle last summer on 4 day mountain bike trip, and they had never heard of 29er wheels Just kidding, I saw onem29er, I betn BC is mostly 26er friendly trails. Keep us posted!

MTB B'dos
    Jealous, sounds like you've got a great retirement ahead of you and a great bike to enjoy it on. If for some reason you get bored or want to tinker you could always give 650B a try on the Spot On the Edmonton thing, no decent trails within the city limits then for a bit of pedaling?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Edmonton has some good riding in the city but it's not well connected and is often has sticky mud. I like to get out in the woods for 3-5 hours and I will be able to go on true epics from my door. Never really been tempted by 29er but 650b sounds like it would really work in BC. I am thinking of putting together a 650b hardtail similar to the new Kona Explosif, but lighter.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    There have been a lot of ups and downs since retiring to BC and here is a couple of pics to prove it. I am overwhelmed by the quantity and quality of trails that I can ride without driving. The bike rack hasn't been on the car since we moved in. I have also hooked up with a small local group who have been showing me around. Sunday we climbed almost 2200 feet and did some incredible descending, including well over 1 km of boardwalk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retiring with my 5 Spot-image.jpg  

Retiring with my 5 Spot-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Was up in that area a couple of times with BCBikerace. Have to agree with you - I find it incredible how many great trails there are, especially with relatively small communities. Would love to retire to a place like that - but unless I win the lottery, that won't be for about 20 more years.

mtbr member
    Sweet deal, I rode Forbidden Plateau in '11 and was amazed at the quality and quantity of the trails.

I'm still a ways off from retirement, but this summer I moved to North Vancouver, so maybe I'll pop over next summer and you can show me around!

Absolutely loving the BC riding scene!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    BC is full of great riding. I was blown away by the quality of trails we rode tonight. Everyone should have this on their list. I am enjoying it as much as Utah!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good Call. Ride Thirsty Beaver, That Damn Trail, Crafty Butcher and head to Tarbells for after ride growlies. I'll watch for ya. J

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I retired in 2008 with my 5 Spot (and wife) and moved to New Denver in the Kootenays. Got involved in local trail advocacy and maintenance. Giving back....

Is life good?...nope, it's just about perfect!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    THe '03 spot was one of the best ever built. It was far superior to the single pivot (TNT) that Dave was forced into using when Ellsworth sued him. Quite frankly, I like it better than the new DW Link version. WIth the great platform shocks available, the '03 spot performs admirably climbing and no DW bike can compare on the downhill side for plush riding with no brake jack.

The 650b bikes may be a different story, but don't diss the '03 spot. I think that it was the best bike ever built by Dave. btw... I'm still riding mine with updated fork and shocks. It's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    IMO, you should keep the 11 as a guest bike and sell the 03.

I am sure every potential guest agrees.

Enjoy the good life!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have been riding the 03 with TNT rear(original cracked) and an old pike up front because my new spot's fork has been sent away for repairs. The 03 is still a great bike but I miss the 160mm up front and the slacker front end on the local trails here.

Well I am off to hook up with a small group. 3 minute ride to the trail head, ain't retirement grand.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    We rode Switchback, Potluck, Thirsy Beaver, Tea Pot, and Crafty Butcher today. Wow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retiring with my 5 Spot-001.jpg  

Retiring with my 5 Spot-003.jpg  

Retiring with my 5 Spot-004.jpg  

Retiring with my 5 Spot-coffee.jpg  

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Nice Travis! Wrong kind of brew though, doesn't look like a beer can to me.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Nice Travis! Wrong kind of brew though, doesn't look like a beer can to me.
    Ta Da.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retiring with my 5 Spot-img_6255.jpg  

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Retiring at 55 is pretty sweet. I would find a mountain to put between me and the ocean but I am a dry weather fan. Enjoy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Maybe the best 6 months ever! Update, Cumberland, BC. It's been a very warm and dry Winter for me and I have been riding 4-5 times a week. I would go more but need the recovery. Yesterday, 31 Jan I got back from a great ride and made a delicious steak sandwich, had a beer and washed my bike. All outside in the glorious sunshine wearing shorts and flip flops. It's a Canadian miracle! Trails will be great today and our group heads out soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast