Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Representin' NE

Arrrghhh!!!

Representin' NE

So who's riding a Turner in New England? For the rocky, rooty, tight and twisty singletrack, what's the verdict on the latest and greatest iterations? I'm still on my Burner, and dig it, but I'm looking to step up to the DW, and I'd like to hear how the new bikes handle this terrain.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Been on an '09 Sultan for just over a year in MA. My 1st 29er and my 1st FS. Absolutely amazing vs. the small-wheeled hardtail I was riding.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    08 RFX for trails and a Highline for Highland and Sunday River. I wouldn't ride anything less than a 5 Spot around here. That said it all depends upon your riding style and terrain. i know my LBS has sold 2 DW 5 Spots over the last couple months.

Arrrghhh!!!

So whats the word on the Spot?

Any folks riding a Spot in NE? How would the Spot hang at Sunday River? I saw some footage from the area and would love a bike that could manage the trails and the downhills-- I don't want to increase the stable, and would prefer one bike for all duties.

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    08 RFX for trails and a Highline for Highland and Sunday River. I wouldn't ride anything less than a 5 Spot around here. That said it all depends upon your riding style and terrain. i know my LBS has sold 2 DW 5 Spots over the last couple months.
    William James

mtbr member
    I just sold my 08 Sultan (great fun bike) and had a 05 6-pack and a 02 RFX.....I'm on the fence with buying a 10 Sultan but my head is telling me that the 18.2 will just blow for Lynn Woods and School ST....Thoughts on this Ma.guys? CF.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    You would be under biked for the trails but fine on the fire roads at Sunday River. There are some steep technical trails at the River that would be to much for a Spot. One bike to do it all will compromise some where. Think about what you would ride most ,XC aggressive trail riding, or more DH/FR? You can always rent at SR or Highland if you'll only get there a few times a year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    your killing me

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I just sold my 08 Sultan (great fun bike) and had a 05 6-pack and a 02 RFX.....I'm on the fence with buying a 10 Sultan but my head is telling me that the 18.2 will just blow for Lynn Woods and School ST....Thoughts on this Ma.guys? CF.

CF the Brett Farve of bike buying....

I thought you were sold on the 29er thing? I couldn't fathom riding big wheels at either of those two locations? HP maybe not Lynn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    your killing me
    Huh, try living a day in my mind...I can't do the whole 26' Spitfire plan like we talked about..Once you get that 29er bug its hard to go back....CF.

mtbr member
    CF the Brett Farve of bike buying....

I thought you were sold on the 29er thing? I couldn't fathom riding big wheels at either of those two locations? HP maybe not Lynn.
    What are you kidding? My Sultan was fun but my 29er hardtail (Banshee Paradox) is a pure machine @ Lynn and School St.....CF.

Arrrghhh!!!
    You would be under biked for the trails but fine on the fire roads at Sunday River. There are some steep technical trails at the River that would be to much for a Spot. One bike to do it all will compromise some where. Think about what you would ride most ,XC aggressive trail riding, or more DH/FR? You can always rent at SR or Highland if you'll only get there a few times a year.
    Aggressive trail riding, I suppose... good point, I'll rent when I go to SR. So for the tight rooty messes, how does the Spot handle?
    William James

over my head
    I dont know if you can still build one of these with the new systems but I love my 5 Pack around here. 6 pack (RFX?) up front - 5 spot rear triangle. Its perfect around here and Ive even ridden it at Highland a handful of times. Can you still build this type of package with the DW?
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    CF, I haven't ridden at Lynn or School St, but I don't find the 18.2 stays to be much issue really. Took a few rides to get used to compared to my 26" hardtail, after that I've been fine. The FS 29er is great with the rocky and roots--I'll never go back to a 26."

mtbr member
    The DW & the TNT (Sultan) have the same length stays.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    What are you kidding? My Sultan was fun but my 29er hardtail (Banshee Paradox) is a pure machine @ Lynn and School St.....CF.

I didn't think you'd be giving up up on the 29er. From all the reviews on here I think you would love a DW Sultan. If I had the urge to try a 29er thats where my money would be spent.

mtbr member
    Rockin' the DW Flux w/ 120mm fork for just about everything around here.
    If I want to hit the big shat at Lynn, Nam etc, then the DHR comes out.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in NE, year round off-road riding here!
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Arrrghhh!!!

So for someone who has ridden all of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    What do you prefer for aggressive riding on technical trails? Of the Turners, that is...
    William James

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    There's rideable trail in these parts right now? Where? Coastal CT is snowy mush, and inland is soft slushy snow... guess further north where its colder?

I think a 5 Spot with a 36 TALAS would be a solid x-stuntery type rig for these parts. Would make a good everything except DH/FR days bike. I feel like a Flux might not be close to enough for the trails like Vietnam, Millers Pond, and Trumbull. I'll take my Sultan to Millers, but leave it home for Trumbull and Vietnam, although I'm curious how far an '08 sultan can be pushed...

mtbr member
    07 RFX & 08 Sultan here in Massachusetts. RFX used to be the only bike so it saw everything from Highland to some (slow) XC racing. Sultan is the "racier" bike now but has a decidedly trailbike build (120mm Reba w/ Maxle, Flows to I9s, 2.25 Ardents) so it has been seeing most of the day to day work over the past year (I like going fast up as well as down). RFX is due for an overhaul (fork going to PUSH) and has a Roco coil, DH tires, etc. to take on 'Nam and Lynn. I'd be lying if I denied that either the new RFX or something like a Lenz 6.0 'Box wasn't distantly on my radar to replace my current RFX since I've found I really dig the slack angles for the tech and jumpy stuff & big wheels are killer.

If you're on the 26" wheel thing I think I spot could handle it, you just won't have the comfort factor of the slacker angles of an RFX (keep in mind that a spot w/ a 36 is about as slack as my older RFX is). I still think that under a good rider a Sultan w/ the right build would kill it and hold up to the abuse. My e-riding option is that 95% of stuff you'd throw at a spot a sultan could handle. Being a homer I have no way to backing that up with any real life evidence or even a graph at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter
    Any folks riding a Spot in NE? How would the Spot hang at Sunday River? I saw some footage from the area and would love a bike that could manage the trails and the downhills-- I don't want to increase the stable, and would prefer one bike for all duties.
    My bud rode an 05 Spot on Boston North Shore trails before he moved away. He killed on it but he did crack the front triangle and the seatstays. Personally, I'd want something with a slacker head angle for our trails, especially if you are planning on riding Sunday River or Highland.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    I have ridden up in CT, NH and MA as well as VT and ride techy rocky stuff in NJ. Have owned a 06 and 08 RFX and 06 5 Spot and currently own a 10 5 Spot. 2010 5 Spot is much more capable that an 06 Spot - particularly with a 150 or 160mm fork. 2010 5 Spot seems to handle the 3-4 footers no poblem and descends well. I would prefer a slightly slacker head angle though. To be honest an 08 RFX or 2010 5 Spot isn't really enough to do the lift served stuff justice. If I had the nads to go to Diablo more than once a year I would want a FR bike. I think a DW RFX will be the ticket for a lot of NE techy riding as it's going to be a little slacker than an 08 RFX. But not sure there is really one bike fits all. You will have to compromise somewhere but if you only go to the lift served stuff once or twice a year rent a bike and go with a 5 Spot and a 160mm fork or wait for a 2010/2011 RFX.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I have ridden up in CT, NH and MA as well as VT and ride techy rocky stuff in NJ. Have owned a 06 and 08 RFX and 06 5 Spot and currently own a 10 5 Spot. 2010 5 Spot is much more capable that an 06 Spot - particularly with a 150 or 160mm fork. 2010 5 Spot seems to handle the 3-4 footers no poblem and descends well. I would prefer a slightly slacker head angle though. To be honest an 08 RFX or 2010 5 Spot isn't really enough to do the lift served stuff justice. If I had the nads to go to Diablo more than once a year I would want a FR bike. I think a DW RFX will be the ticket for a lot of NE techy riding as it's going to be a little slacker than an 08 RFX. But not sure there is really one bike fits all. You will have to compromise somewhere but if you only go to the lift served stuff once or twice a year rent a bike and go with a 5 Spot and a 160mm fork or wait for a 2010/2011 RFX.
    That's a great idea, to slack out the HA for the Spot. I'm thinking an adjustable fork, if that's the direction I go. I think an RFX would be too much for the 'usual' riding around here, although it would be great on the downhill days.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    If you're on the 26" wheel thing I think I spot could handle it, you just won't have the comfort factor of the slacker angles of an RFX (keep in mind that a spot w/ a 36 is about as slack as my older RFX is). I still think that under a good rider a Sultan w/ the right build would kill it and hold up to the abuse. My e-riding option is that 95% of stuff you'd throw at a spot a sultan could handle. Being a homer I have no way to backing that up with any real life evidence or even a graph at this time.
    That's the dilemna for me-- whether to go with the Spot or the Sultan. I want to hit the downhills and be able to flick the bike, and I don't know whether I could do so on the Sultan (I'm sure some could flick it just fine, just not me). It would roll through the roots and rocks better, though...
    William James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter
    It would roll through the roots and rocks better, though...
    Definitely.

Delirious Tuck
    If Turner comes out with a 120mm travel TAPERED HT Sultan and you were able to run a reliable 140mm fork paired with Salso Gordo Rims or Stan's Flows, you'd not need a Spot.

I'm waiting on pulling the trigger to replace my '08 Sultan until the end of the season/beg 2011 in the hopes that Turner does a tapered HT. If not the Intense Tracer 29er is it and will replace my 26er tracer and Sultan, and I'll start saving for an RFX.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast