M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3

New question here. Replacement rings for Shimano XT cranks..

The rings on my XT cranks are starting to show signs of wear and tear - Anyone here replaced the rings on their XT cranksets yet? What brand rings did you replaced them with? Shimano OE rings are pretty pricy and rather weak. Would rather go with a good set of aftermarket rings.

thanks guys!
    - Luc

Bodhisattva
    I used to go through shimano rings every 4-5 months on my Titus. I replaced them 3 years ago with Cycle Dynamic Titanium rings and haven't changed them since. Shifting isn't quite as good as Shimano and they require a bit more finesse but nothing out of the ordinary. Up front cost is a bit higher but equalizes after time since replacement won't be as frequent.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    The rings on my XT cranks are starting to show signs of wear and tear - Anyone here replaced the rings on their XT cranksets yet? What brand rings did you replaced them with? Shimano OE rings are pretty pricy and rather weak. Would rather go with a good set of aftermarket rings.

thanks guys!
    - Luc
    I replaced them with Shimano rings which I got for almost nothing.
    Otherwise I would have faced your dilemna.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I used to go through shimano rings every 4-5 months on my Titus. I replaced them 3 years ago with Cycle Dynamic Titanium rings and haven't changed them since. Shifting isn't quite as good as Shimano and they require a bit more finesse but nothing out of the ordinary. Up front cost is a bit higher but equalizes after time since replacement won't be as frequent.
    Never heard of Cycle Dynamic Ti Rings? I'll have to check those out. Do you know how they compare to Boone Ti Rings? http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html

Bodhisattva
    I've never used the Boone rings but they sure do look nice. The CD rings are cheaper and I bet you can get them faster. Mtn High Cyclery ordered some Boone rings over 3 months ago and still hasn''t seen them.

Website for Cycle Dynamics: http://cycle-dynamics.com/
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Why won't you get a set of 4-bolt RaceFace race rings? They're 104/64mm BCD, which I think is the same as XT.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Toby Wong?
    blackspire ring. no problems here.

Feeding your addiction
    Blackspire rings are excellent, and the newer Race Face stuff is very good also. Both are better than the stock XT rings IMO.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Shimano or Race Face

Shim or RF rings both work well. The weight penalty is so minor that I always buy a steel granny ring. Really cheap, and lasts almost forever (at least through 3 middle ring wear periods).

banned
    Loved Race Face rings. I used to struggle up to 800 miles with Shimano, but went 2,500 on Race Face. These were the lower end Prodigy type, no less. When it was time to replace them, I went first for a TruVativ steel middle. I chose steel because I'm mostly using a bashring, so I do most of my riding anywhere in the middle. It barely weighed more and has outlasted several drivetrains, including riding around on a badly worn chain I neglected to check or change for several hundred miles. The cassette was toast. I got it from Larry a couple years ago.

I replaced the outer with an old Truvativ nickel Team ring from about 2002. I had this in my tool box for a while. Oddly enough, it's gone through 1,500+ miles, several bikes, and several drivetrains and it's perfectly usable.

Team Sanchez
    I see a lot of guys saying good things about the Race Face rings. About 4 months ago I purchased some of the CNC'd alloy RF rings from Larry, and within 4 months, I was missing 2 teeth, and others were worn down to the nub. So now I'm running the Truvativ steel rings, and hoping they last longer. I am a bigger fellow, and that may have something to do with the premature wear.

SALLGUD

Cycle Dynamics Rocks!

Absolutely agree with the Cycle Dynamics route. I bought my first CD chainring (32 tooth middle ring) back in spring and put about 500 miles on it quickly. Mud, dust, etc. It showed zero wear, but shifted flawlessly and quietly. I now have over 1500 miles on it and it looks brand new. I ordered a spare. Their prices are extremely realistic.

I also recommended them to friends, and I know one of them bought a CD chainring.

Give the guys a call. They are super easy to talk to, and will definitely hook you up!

Michael

banned
    What's pricing like on middles?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    My RF rings which came with my trusty Turbines, over two years ago, are still perfectly usable, in great shape, even.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

KDK
    mtbr member
    I replaced the middle one with a Middleburn - no problems at all !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have used CD and Boone. Both shift well. I have the newer boone ramped rings and they don't miss a beat. Cycle Dynamics have a little more sophisticated ramp system and I bet they are slightly lighter. I have howvere see someone bent a CD ring by wedging their chain in between it and the granny ring. Possibly a fluke.

Cycle Dynamics are like $45-$50 a ring and the Boone was $80 for a middle ring I believe. CD does have timely delivery on their side while Boone has a nicer construction to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Middleburn stuff is good, and they do M960 XTR as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Agree with El Clingon. Found the Shimano ones were made of mush, very dissapointing considering how long they've been making chainsets. Banged steel truvativ on, shifting is equally as good and alot more durable for a slight weight penalty.

SALLGUD

CD middle chainrings $

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What's pricing like on middles?
    About $45 delivered...

banned
    How much more life out of a CD ring compared to RF and the TV steel rings?