Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005

Recovery Help for Downed Homer!!!

Stupid subbing in softball Only 20 miles on the Turner this year due to wet conditions and a lack of time, I sub for the work softball team and blow out my Achilles tendon.

Any one else in the L of H have this injury? What was your recovery time? Any advice for PT and moving forward? I had surgery on 5/23 and I get a walking cast this Friday. I am hoping to be back on the bike in September sometime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceskier
    Stupid subbing in softball Only 20 miles on the Turner this year due to wet conditions and a lack of time, I sub for the work softball team and blow out my Achilles tendon.

Any one else in the L of H have this injury? What was your recovery time? Any advice for PT and moving forward? I had surgery on 5/23 and I get a walking cast this Friday. I am hoping to be back on the bike in September sometime.
    Healing vibes being sent.

Check out radairs post, he had a similar situation last week - cept he was playing frisbee......

I'm giving up riding for a few months...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Been there, done that, don't wanna go back...

Quote Originally Posted by iceskier

Small violin? More like a string quartet! I feel for you , ice! I snapped mine in March of 2005. (Skateboarding with the kids!) Went for my first ride in November. Not sure how nasty your rupture was. Doc described mine as 2 string mops he had to sew together. One friend of mine snapped his in September (also skateboarding), and was able to snowboard in Feb. Another buddy (an XC MTB racer) took 11 months before he was back on his bike. Hopefully you'll be on the fast track to recovery!

BTW - Q: do you need new ski boots? A: Yes, you do. Or at least you'll need some work done on them. My surgically-altered tendon is more that twice as thick as my other one, and my calf is still about 25% smaller than the other, and probably will be for 7-10 years. (According to a Doc and other people I know who have snapped theirs.) I had to have the liners sanded down in the tendon area and packed in the calf area.

Interestingly enough, downhills hurt more than climbing. Standing on the pedals for the dowmhills makes my calf cramp.

There are 2 good things that came of the injury:

1) I can now predict the weather. I can tell you about 2 hours before it rains or snows.

2) I now have a 5-Spot. I bought it as incentive to get back into shape. Picked it up this weekend. My wife felt sorry for me since I ended up as the shuttle driver all last season!

Trust me on this - I feel your pain!

HH

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ice, this is one injury i havent had (knockin heavely) so i have no direct advice but im sendin tons of pos energy yer way. be patient and stay positive pal. its over in no time reletively speakin. stay in touch here and keep us up on how it goes.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey ice,

Sorry if my last message seemed like it was full of gloom and doom. I got sick of the people that just tried to fluff me up and appreciated the more realistic responses I got from other victims. I always knew that a ruptured Achilles tendon was a bad thing. I never realized how bad until it happened to me. It's funny - I think that people who have ruptured their Achilles tendon share a kind of black humor about it. Most people mention how they turned around to see who kicked them in the heel. Everyone remembers the sound.

Even my surgeon told me to ask every victim I met if they ever went back to participating in the sport/game they were playing when they got injured. Most laugh and say "Hell no", even though we all know that our tendon is stronger than ever.

Hopefully you like swimming. It was the only full-body workout I could do and was a good way to start to build up my calf. Even though my surgeon is an athlete, he didn't recommend PT. He claimed that walking was the best therapy, and that there isn't a specific regimen for the injury. I went to a sports medicine clinic, anyway. The physical therapist didn't have a specific regimen, either, but he's a cyclist and XC skate skier, too, so we devised a routine.

The best advice I can give you is to take it easy and not push too soon. Everyone I know that tried to speed up the recovery encountered some type of complication. A buddy of mine is a former MD turned nutrionist. He ruptured his Achilles and recommended that I take calcium, magnesium, glucosamine/chondroitan, and collagen.

Best wishes for fast and full recovery.

HH

banned
    recovery advice:

1) never again play that pantywaist pseudo-sport known as "softball"

2) never again admit you ever did play that game

3) next time your friends ask you to play "softball" tell them you would rather ride your MTB

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    He ruptured his Achilles and recommended that I take calcium, magnesium, glucosamine/chondroitan, and collagen.HH
    Nature Made's Triple Flex is good ... glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin sulfate. the 3 essentials for healthy joints and connective tissues. Costco sells it for a really low price. I've been using it for about 9 months to help both my knees (both have had ACL reconstruction and some meniscal injury) and it really improved my post-ride, post-alpine skiing knee pain.

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the vibes and advice. Things are feeling pretty good now, and I am getting the cast off this Friday for a walking boot. I will go to Costco and buy some Nature's Made to keep things going in the right direction. I have already decided that swimming will be my workout of choice for awhile.

Anyone have a take on getting back on the bike? It seems like it would be a good way to increase calf strength and flexibility, however, it also seems like it could be a quick way to damage my achilles again. My doc has me riding a stationary bike with boot at 3 weeks post surgery. Thanks again.

banned
    iceskier,

follow what your orthopod and/or PT guru says. he/she is in the best position to know when you're ready for actual non-controlled (no boot, back to "normal" riding gear) riding. I'd guess that it will depend on how quickly your ruptured tendon is healing, because as you've already said, pushing it too hard too soon can just return you to the same place you were after the original rupture.

good luck with the recovery. as my PT told me after my ACL recon jobs, cyclists usually recover fastest from leg orthopaedic injury because cycling is a good rehab tool and we cyclists already like to spin the pedals.