mtbr member

Reba v MX Comp on a FLUX...

Thinking about either one of theses boys in 100mm.
    How are the Reba bushes holding up long term.
    Some places ive asked have said Marz are not what they were in terms of damping,and have suggested RShox but there reputation has me a little scared.
    I can't find many bad comments on Marz myself so this is were you lot come in.
    So feel free...........

Hand over mouth and whisper to one side "I think the TNT will work out just fine and dandy"

not so super...
    Weigh the attributes of each model. I see it like this.

MX Comp
    Negatives:
    SSV Damping
    30mm stanchions
    Heavy for it's size/travel

Positives:
    durability/Reliability

Reba
    Negatives:
    Durability not truly known

Positives:
    More sophisticated Damping
    32mm Stanchions
    Travel adjustable if you get the u-turn model
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr platinum member
    These forks are not even in the same class. The Reba's quality and damping system is on the same level as Marzocchi's HSCV cartridge, which would put you into the Marathon series. The Reba is quite a bit less expensive, although you can find some Marathon XC's on blowout right now.

I wouldn't worry about the Reba. I haven't heard about any bushing issues, and I think that the air chamber issues were an early production problem that's been sorted out by now.

Go Reba unless you want to step up to a Marathon, the it's a wash.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    SSINGA,
    What is the negative about the SSV?
    Cheers

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by CragRat
    SSINGA,
    What is the negative about the SSV?
    Cheers
    Very basic system. Oil is pushed through a hole(s) in a tube. There is no rebound (some of the 06 models add this feature although it might only be internally adjustable) or compression control and the main spring can be coil or air and somtimes a combo of both. The only tuning is though oil viscosity which does very little.

Picture is the SSV "cartridges" from a 05 Z1FR3 fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SSINGA; 09-29-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Bite Me.
    I have used both the Reba SL in 100mm and a Reba Team U-turn. Both have been great forks, I have about 700 miles on the Team w/o any issues. The only issue on the SL came during a race where it got stuck down. The fault was mine though because I had not checked the oil level in the left leg. Once I added 5ml of oil it never happened again. For price, lightweight, versatility and perfomance the Rebas are hands down better than the Marz. you are looking at.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Just had a look at MX Pro,they even have SSV damping.

Cutthtroat,
    Do you find the u - turn any use or is it a pain in the A@se to wind up and down.
    And do they feel the same?
    Some on the shocks forum say the dual air work better.
    How come you had to check the oil on a new fork?

sorry for all the question's but you know how it is no.....

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CragRat
    Just had a look at MX Pro,they even have SSV damping.

Cutthtroat,
    Do you find the u - turn any use or is it a pain in the A@se to wind up and down.
    And do they feel the same?
    Some on the shocks forum say the dual air work better.
    How come you had to check the oil on a new fork?

sorry for all the question's but you know how it is no.....
    No worries - I am real fan of the U-Turn feature, it's very simple to use even on the fly. I'll be cruising along at 100mm (best all around on the Burner) then, when I know a big climb is coming I can easily crank it down to 85mm w/o getting off the bike - 6 turns does it. When I get to the top it's just as easy to wind it out to 115mm but you do need to pop a wheelie or pull up on the front end to allow the sliders to extend fully. The change in feel between the fully extended and fully compressed ride is dramatic in my opinion and a great way to extend the versatility of the bike (I'm on a 4"x4" Burner XR so I think the same would hold true for the Flux). At 85mm the head tube angle makes the bike very precise on tough climbs, at 115mm the downhills just smooth out - 100mm is best all around. The U-turn Team is light too at 3.6lbs. Just knowing I have the ability to play around with the front end is plus I think.

As for comparing the U-turn with the dual air - I found the rides to be indistinguishable although initial settings for each fork are different. The U-turn uses a higher air pressure for the same sag rate. As for the oil issue, the problem was not when the fork was new. I had already ridden about 300 miles on the fork and had done a couple of hard races, etc. RS manual says to check the oil level periodically and I just spaced it out. It was a 5 minute fix at most. Just unscrew the cap on the left leg pour in the oil and reinstall the cap. The oil maintains the integrity of the air seals and keeps it smooth. As you can tell I'm little biased about these forks - they have just worked really well for me.

If you do decide to go for one, seriously consider the Race or Team models with the externally adjustable floodgate valve (an upgrade over the SL model). The floodgate tuning really affects the threshhold bump sensitivity and the lockout feature. If you want super plush, just open it up all the way. For a more "platform" based ride and to get a true lockout you need to crank it down a few turns. This also is easily done while riding if you have the external tuning knob.

I used to ride a Zoke Atom Bomb and loved the coil feel, the Rebas feel just as plush and smooth to me.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

ride
    Reba all the way. I just took off the '05 Marathon XC on the demo flux and replaced it with a Reba Team. I was pretty surprised actually. I only have a handful of rides on the Reba so far, but I prefer it in all aspects over the Zoke.

Best thing about it is the larger stanchions. The stanchions on the Reba let me ride that fork like the Flux is a bigger bike. The Reba is significantly stiffer and tracks better. Damping is top notch, too.

The only drawback I see so far is durability just because that's unknown. Even in that case, though, the SRAM Rock Shox customer service is hands down better than Rock Shox ever was on its own.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Hey do you have any tips on tuning the Rebas? I have just put the Teams U-Turn on my Burner and Im running a lot less pressure than recommended. Any ideas on the negative: postive air ratio, rebound/copmporession and floodgate settings? Rather than go through the learning curve myself it would be great to get some feedback on what works best. I weigh 165 Lbs. Cheers

mtbr member

60/60

60% of your riding weight in the pos. chamber, then put 60% of that in the neg. chamber. Way less than RS recs.
    "Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker" Ogden Nash

Code Burr
    Can someone please tell me what the Reba or Pike uses for damping?
    Is it hydraulic, coil, or air piston?
    I know they use some kind of plastic tube w holes for a platform.
    Plastic pieces in a fork dont exactly fill me with confidence.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MWWH
    Hey do you have any tips on tuning the Rebas? I have just put the Teams U-Turn on my Burner and Im running a lot less pressure than recommended. Any ideas on the negative: postive air ratio, rebound/copmporession and floodgate settings? Rather than go through the learning curve myself it would be great to get some feedback on what works best. I weigh 165 Lbs. Cheers
    I have been running mine at 135lbs positive and 145lbs negative. I'm about 180lbs in gear and this has been a good setting. I could go with less pressure to get additional sag, but I'm primarily riding XC singletrack and not a lot of rocky terrain right now. I run the floddgate wide open most of the time for maximum small bump compliance (this works great with extra 10lbs in the negative chamber - a very active ride). For long fire road climbs I'll crank the FG down about three turns and dial the compression in to lock out, but mostly I ride it wide open. I run the rebound damper a bit on the fast side of mid-way for a medium-quick rebound. Works well for me, but depending on your terrain, riding style, etc. you can vary it a lot.