mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rear V-Brakes on a 5-Spot?

I would like to transfer my parts from my 1999 XCE to an 05 5-Spot. I am still using V-Brakes.

Is it possible to run rear V-Brakes on an 05 5-Spot? I am hoping I could move the mounting posts over from the XCE, but it looks like the cable routing does not support a 'normal' run for cable activated V-brakes.

Anyone running Avid BB7 rear brakes? Do you run the housing all the way to the Caliper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't know what it takes to get an answer on this board. Perhaps the question was bad.
    Guess I will answer this myself...case others face the same situation...

Why Yes FallDog...You Can put Rim Brakes on a new 05 5-Spot. Just take the post mounts off your 1999 XCE...or some that you might have in your stash after upgrading to a 3-hole post....and wrap them around the rear stays. Later, after you finish paying for the new frame, you can make the investment in parts for a new rear disc wheel.

Here are some pictures to prove it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MK_
    carpe maņana
    that's pretty unique. I wish I saw the question when you first posted. The answer you found yourself. Hope you don't get going too fast on those DHs with these

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    1st time i saw it too. nice mod man! we wernt ignorin ya, it just got lost is all. happens all the time. ya know mk, i used veeees on plenty oh d/h runs back when. worked ok and if a veeeeeeee will work, its those. good call fall.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Gotta say, thats pretty sweet..

You dont get an answer figure it out and then post for others, nice job. I bet you are the only person running Vees on a Spot, but hey, if thats what it took to get the frame and be able to ride it, thats d@mn cool.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    You dont get an answer figure it out and then post for others, nice job. I bet you are the only person running Vees on a Spot, but hey, if thats what it took to get the frame and be able to ride it, thats d@mn cool.
    Isn't Davide running V-brakes on his 25 lbs. "ultimate" 5 Spot?

Hmmm, guess you are right...

I looked at the Spot setups and just noticed that. I wanted to highlight that the OP did it to have the frame he wanted even if he could not afford to complete the switch to disk brakes. I thought that showed some ingenuity and deserved some kudos. Im not really sure why Davide did what he did, but hey, if it makes him happy than so be it.

Im sure that light weight spot makes him faster...

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    I looked at the Spot setups and just noticed that. I wanted to highlight that the OP did it to have the frame he wanted even if he could not afford to complete the switch to disk brakes. I thought that showed some ingenuity and deserved some kudos. Im not really sure why Davide did what he did, but hey, if it makes him happy than so be it.

Im sure that light weight spot makes him faster...
    I agree with you. That's a good bit of ingenuity so you can have a 5 Spot with minimal upfront expense.

I don't event want to discuss Davide's reasoning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Falldog
    Anyone running Avid BB7 rear brakes? Do you run the housing all the way to the Caliper?
    Since you answered the first part of your question in a very conclusive manner all on your own, I'll tackle the second part.

Yup, the Avids work great. Many on this board (me shamefully included) get drawn into the mech vs. hydro debate, but the answer to YOUR question is yes, and they work great -- and they'll rock your world compared to V-brakes.

My Spot frame is really only configured for full housing from lever to caliper, and it seems to work great. I ride a lot, and strap on a new cable and housing once a year just to keep things smooth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Very sweet mod. I love V brakes and only switched to disc because there were no welded on mounts when I got my bike. Knowing you can swap the XCE posts over just gives more options down the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Finally

We finally got one more batch of the canti clamps in. These are the LAST ones we will ever order. They cost a bunch more because of the small batch size, but anyone that wants to save several hundred dollars by keeping their old wheels and brakes this is a good option. Of course any clamps from any year will fit any 02, XCE, Burner, Flux and Spot, oh and Stinger. So keep swapping them if you got em. If some one is carefull you can tranfer them a couple times before the clamp gets a bad kink in it. I have tried to break a clamp with a vice and a vice grip by cycling it open and close dozens of times. It got all kinked up but could not get it to snap so don't worry about re-cycling.

DT

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    seems a guy could do this on a '06 rear without as much of a risk of damage now that the link is up top. just a thought. perhaps i should grab a set for emergencys. how much?
    No, I'm NOT back!