psc
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rear Shifting on a Flux

Hi-
    I've got a Flux and my rear shifting isn't good at all. I replaced my rear derailleur (was running a '99 XT) with new Shadow XT but the shifting from larger to smaller cogs is just slow. (Shifters are Deore LX) If I decrease cable tension,shifting to larger cogs requires significant overshifting.

I've got the cables routed according to the pictures on the Turner website and there are no crimps or anything in the cables.

Are people running standard cables? (Do I need to get Gore cables or something similar?)

I put regular lube in the cables- would grease be more effective?

Thanks,
    Pat

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

shifters?

What year are the shifters? Are you running the correct diameter cable with the housing?
    If you are it should work fine, I have over 16 months on a standard rear cable set for a 5 Spot and our demos go a year with no issues, so the full housing concept is an advantage once you get it dialed in.

DT

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ditto what DT said.

Something's up with your setup - bent der. hanger possibly? No offense, but setting up rear shifting with properly functioning shifters, cables, der's and chain is pretty straightforward.

Gore cables aren't a requirement - I use SRAM PitStop FlakJacket cables, but have run standard cables just fine.

Post some pics maybe - but it sounds like you just need to roll it into your local shop and get the $25 Springtime tuneup special they're running right now - that way you get your wheels trued too.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I never lube the cables.... once you do it and craps gets in its messy time
    Shadow XT is crap (I'm on my 3rd one and they just don't shift as well)
    Let the LBS take a look and maybe replace those cables with lube

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You didn't mention how old your cables are. If you are not using a rapid-rise derailleur, the slow shifts from larger cogs to smaller ones mean that friction in the line is fighting against the spring in the derailleur. Check your cables and housing for kinks or rough spots...

Better yet - replace cables and housing (if needed)

Replacing cables is one of the best things you can do for your drivetrain, I'd recommend it at least annually although you can go longer with full housing or in drier climates.