Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rear end shifting.

Well I've put over a hundred miles on the new ride now and I started to notice a small amount of shift in the rear end. I guessed it was the lovely chris king rear hub break in. Pull off the wheel, tighten in int he middle of my ride, get back to it. No movement I could feel. Put it into a corner and keep pedaling though and I feel a weird shift in the back. I stop and wiggle the rear wheel. Nothing. Ok so I push back in forth harder on it and I feel a shift. WTF? It isn't rear wheel hub slop near as I can tell, figured bushings musta broke in. Break out the torque wrench, go through every bolt in the linkage and shock mounts to torque that turners website says. Give the rear end a shake, sure enough it still has that movement. I just spent the last 2.5 hours playing with it and can't get the side to side play to go away. It isn't much and it does take a little more effort then that of testing a rear hub for tightness, but it is there. It does, also, make sound when I shift it side to side like that. I actually overtightened the rear hbu to the point it wouldn't turn easily and it still was doing, plus I pulled out an old rim that Iknow the hub was correctly tightened on to make sure and it did the same thing with that rim in place too, which it did. The only odd thing is that I can't get it to reproduce the pop unless I'm grabbing the rear wheel and moving that. If I grab the rear triangle and try to push that back and forth it won't do it. I can't seem to locate it by sound, and I honestly wouldn't be worried about it except it does shift now when it never used to. Does anyone have a clue what is happening? Is this normal for a 5 spot? Do chris king hubs have a problem with turner frames? Anyone got anything for me?

Silence and Thunder...
    axle moving in the dropouts?? Not tight enough??
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Same Thing.

May be the dropout pivot. I went through the same process of elimination. Turned out to be the shaft that runs through the dropout pivot bushing was not sized correctly. No amount of torque will tighten them. Call Turner for warrantee replacements. When re-torquing all the pivots 17ft.lbs and 9ft.lbs for dropouts, I like to remove each bolt, remove old locktite with wire wheel, apply fresh blue locktite, replace and torque bolts. If you torque them without removing the first, you are breaking the bond of the old locktite. Good luck.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. this makes sence. a out of spec pivot shaft would do that. trouble is, which one? get a full kit and replace/re test them one by one. id also start at the dropout and work fwd, top down. call greg @ 951-677-1711 for the parts.

dont forget to make sure its not a bushing. if one is slightly too long, the stay could slide across that set of bushings a few .001's and cause the same thing.

still tryin to figure out wtf yer avitar is there monkeybreath. good luck with the fix.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yep. this makes sence. a out of spec pivot shaft would do that. trouble is, which one? get a full kit and replace/re test them one by one. id also start at the dropout and work fwd, top down. call greg @ 951-677-1711 for the parts.

dont forget to make sure its not a bushing. if one is slightly too long, the stay could slide across that set of bushings a few .001's and cause the same thing.

still tryin to figure out wtf yer avitar is there monkeybreath. good luck with the fix.
    Greg sent me a new dropout bushing kit. I installed the whole thing instead of attempting to locate the bad part.

that works. i did mean replace each set of h/ware pivot by pivot although i didnt make that very clear. still, id be tempted to get out the micrometer and see whats up before i started knockin the bushings out and negate any other possibilities, but im anal that way.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Well, I know it isn't shifting the dropouts, I tightened that up after reading this, to the point I almost coudln't get it open again. Still did it. I will call greg I guess and hope that works out instead. Cactus, my avitar is from halo 3. It is the masterchief hiding behind some rock from what they called a skarab. A big assed 4 legged tank. When I'm not riding or hanging with my wife, i'm a gamer so I will have crap like that upon occasion. Thanks guys for the help, I will let you know how it goes!
    Last edited by monkeyboy070; 05-15-2008 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, good news and bad news type of thing. I got ahold of Greg. Awesome guy, got straight to the point when I described it like above. He said it didn't sound like pivots, sounded like hub, which I agreed at the time. It just didn't make sense to be the frame when I gotta push on the wheel to repeat the problem. So I got home early today and got an idea. I stuck the rear wheel in my old fuel frame. Surprise for both of us, the wheel is fine! So I start screwing with the rear triangle of the spot. Re-check torque like i've done 3 billion times prior, pushed and pulled and finally got a friend to do it while hold the chain stay pivots, felt em pop. ****. So I pull it apart like he told me to do, said that it should take a little effort to get them off. Drive said almost fell out when I touched it. ****..AGAIN. Finally figured this is the one, time for new bushings, called him up and he agreed accept for the bushing part, I'm getting a whole new chain stay. He thinks it is out of spec and wants to make sure the bore and thickness are right too. Hopefully it is the chain stay that is out of spec and not the seat stay, seems unlikely that would be the problem though.
    Thanks again guys for throwing wisdom out there. Otherwise I would have a thumping 5 spot still, and there would be 1 more monkey out there just scratching his head.

Never enough time to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy070
    and there would be 1 more monkey out there just scratching his head.
    And this is any different, from any other time how??

Any way, good to hear you got this all worked out, can't wait to get out and ride with ya sometime.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

cool. how long till ya get the new bits? i have a h/l rear if ya need it temp like but it may not be worth it time wise.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Thanks man, but said should be here early next week and that the frame is useable in the mean time. Just have to deal with a weird shift in it when I turn. Who needs to turn anyway?

turning, im told, is also a crutch.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    They say that about beer too, personally I don't drink much. Just about a camebaks worth when I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    Greg sent me a new dropout bushing kit. I installed the whole thing instead of attempting to locate the bad part.
    New bushings and still have some play in the dopouts. I may have one of those bad stays. Time to call Turner again.

mtbr member
    Ya, it may be off by just a shade. Now did he send you all new bushings?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ya, it may be off by just a shade. Now did he send you all new bushings?
    New bushings are installed and there is still play in the dropout.

mtbr member
    Ya, I caught that part but I was wondering if he sent youa full complement of bushings or just the drop out bushings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ya, I caught that part but I was wondering if he sent youa full complement of bushings or just the drop out bushings.
    They sent me the dropout bushings only.

mtbr member
    Good new guys, rear end went on without a hitch. Lot tougher to get into to place so I thijnk we go the ordeal over with. I would talk to greg again nut, I think they have the same situation here. Maybe just a few bad eggs, hopefully the rest of the dozen is still good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good new guys, rear end went on without a hitch. Lot tougher to get into to place so I thijnk we go the ordeal over with. I would talk to greg again nut, I think they have the same situation here. Maybe just a few bad eggs, hopefully the rest of the dozen is still good.
    Already spoke to Greg. New stay is on the way!

mtbr member
    Sweet. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am having the same issue with my RFX I think? My bike started to make a clicking sound. So , I made sure it was not the seat/post, BB, and checked all pivots. While trying to pinpoint were the clicking was coming from I found that I had a lot of vertical play (hold seat post and push and pull the wheel) in my rear wheel. So, I took the bike to my local turner dealer and they suggested replacing dropout bushings. I decided to have them replace all the pivots. After they replaced them there is still the same amount of movement in the rear wheel and clicking sound is still there. I forgot to mention that I have two sets of wheels and there is the same amount of vertical play in both sets. Does this sound like the same problem you guys were having? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check your upper shock DU bushing, this generally where vertical play like your describing comes from. The issue Monkeboy (my brother) was having had to do with some side to side shift.

Did the LBS check the tnt pivots to see if they were wallowed out at all?

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When I grip the top of my wheel and pull it towards me it moves toward me and the bottom is kicking out. So would you call that side to side shift or vertical play? All of the pivots were replaced. They did say that the new dropout bushing did not fit in as tight as the rest?

are you pulling straight up on the wheel or off to the side? also what hubs are you running?

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast