bja
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Rear Derailleur problems

I just got a 5 spot about a month now. I love it! Coming from a single pivot, its worlds apart! Anyway, since i got the 5 spot I have been experiencing ghost shifts on my rear derailleur (XTR M-952) This happens when I'm speeding down the trail on the smallest cog and thats when the suspension is active. I have checked the cables and housing and they seem to be ok. I don't know why it does that. Hope someone can help me out.

banned
    Did you check the limit screw?

bja
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, the mechanic and myself have checked it and its ok. I can double check that. Thanks!

Lay off the Levers
    Check your cable housing length...particularly at the rocker junction. If it is too long or too short under maximum compression it can draw more cable when bent too much. I had a similar problem and ended up shortening my housing at that point and that resolved the issue.

It's worth a look.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by bja
    I have been experiencing ghost shifts on my rear derailleur (XTR M-952) This happens when I'm speeding down the trail on the smallest cog
    Do you have rapid rise or high normal? If you have high normal, the spring in the der is at its weakest point, the the chain enjoys the least amount of wrap around any cog on the cassette, plus the chain is slackest in that cog. The combination means the der is less likely to stay aligned above that cog, and is more likely to throw a slack chain.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I have ever ridden a bike that really liked the 11t cog much.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    So where have you been T? We haven't heard from you in a while and you didn't post any pics from your usually muddy rides at that time of the year.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

No, that's not phonetic
    Been here.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Ok, hope your time there has been good.
    Keep posting your Alaskan pics, they are so different from the sceneries we are used to seeing when talking about MTBs.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Check your cable housing length...particularly at the rocker junction. If it is too long or too short under maximum compression it can draw more cable when bent too much. I had a similar problem and ended up shortening my housing at that point and that resolved the issue.

It's worth a look.

Yes, this is correct.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

bja
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ya it could be long. Its worth to check it out. I believe what I have is high normal. Thanks!

bja
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bikezilla,
    We were able to solve the problem. We shortened the cable housing and works very well now. Thanks! And thanks to all that helped out.