http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanan...7623590475750/
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    What kind of camera and lens?
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    Nick (noshirt) won't know how to respond to that because all he does is sit there and try to keep his dog out of frame.

I shot these with a Digital Rebel XT (nothing special) and a 50mm 1.8 lens. I shoot RAW and do post production.

Yay! Bikes !
    that there is a good lookin' dog ...
    Nick.

mtbr member
    post processing is EVERYTHING... ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bababooey
    Nick (noshirt) won't know how to respond to that because all he does is sit there and try to keep his dog out of frame.

I shot these with a Digital Rebel XT (nothing special) and a 50mm 1.8 lens. I shoot RAW and do post production.
    the "thrifty 50" - love mine - I see it's gone up in price to the $85ish range though.

Am I seeing a little HDR effect going on?

mtbr member
    Ya dude! Props.

Build More = Ride More
    Nice bike. Makes me want to get the old Highline out for some hucking.

You should toss some needle bearings into your DHX there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    the "thrifty 50" - love mine - I see it's gone up in price to the $85ish range though.

Am I seeing a little HDR effect going on?
    No HDR shots this round. I have been wanting to try that technique though. that would have been a cool place, the grass would have looked awesome. I do like to kick up levels and play around with color. I'm a graphic designer by trade so my computer is my friend! : )

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    You should toss some needle bearings into your DHX there.
    Maybe, but I'm gunna say that based on the limited rotation of the axles in the Highline, you probably wouldn't see nearly as much difference as you do with the other bikes. The Highline is very similer to a mac-strut bike, and neither end of the shock rotates all that much relative to the linkage or frame.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Maybe, but I'm gunna say that based on the limited rotation of the axles in the Highline, you probably wouldn't see nearly as much difference as you do with the other bikes. The Highline is very similer to a mac-strut bike, and neither end of the shock rotates all that much relative to the linkage or frame.
    That's what I thought too until I took the spring off and cycled the suspension. It does move more than it looks like it does.

Would it be night and day difference? No. But since he's going full out already, might as well add the icing to the cake,.

Stray Bullet
    Nice bike and amazing pics!

Put some end caps on your bars before you impale yourself!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sorry to be so negative, but what makes you suggest those pictures are 'really good' ?

I love watching bike shots, no matter how good they are; but being a pro photographer, let me tell you those shots are not only not good by any means, they are actually very poor - considering image quality was an issue.

There are tons of snapshots on this forum which get across the 'sexyness' of a ride very well, unlike those images.

mtbr member
    Perlman you're a dick. He did a fine job with those pics. I wouldn't go say they are "very good" either, but they're more then decent, and he did a good job conveying his joy for the bike.

Post up your shots, lets see if you're all talk.
    Stuff.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    Perlman you're a dick. He did a fine job with those pics. I wouldn't go say they are "very good" either, but they're more then decent, and he did a good job conveying his joy for the bike.

Post up your shots, lets see if you're all talk.
    He is a one time Lzwurth owner....

mtbr member
    sweet picas

mtbr member
    Hi Pearlman,

I'm so glad you are a pro photographer, hooray. I'm also so grateful to have your EXPERT opinion and now know that they are not indeed very good, but rather, very poor. Boy, I was way off I guess. Also, I am so sorry that my pics don't get across the "sexyness of a ride very well" so that you can "watch" the pictures, as you say.

So does my bike suck too, or just the pictures? How about my dog? I should probably post some more pictures of my riding too, so you can tell me how much it sucks too.

Sarcasm aside, it's real bummer that people like you plague this site with your negativity. Anything else?
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    yeah, wondered about that too, if there would be ANY difference in feel with such minimal rotation at the pivot points. Figure simple is probably better unless someone can really convince me otherwise. I do love the idea of bearings rather than bushings if there is a lot of rotation though. Just put in new bushings by the way, and everything is feeling really good as is.

Oh wait, after reading Pearlman's post, maybe I shouldn't say that it feels "very good," he might tell me it actually feels "very bad."
    Have a nice ride!

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt
    yeah, wondered about that too, if there would be ANY difference in feel with such minimal rotation at the pivot points. Figure simple is probably better unless someone can really convince me otherwise. I do love the idea of bearings rather than bushings if there is a lot of rotation though. Just put in new bushings by the way, and everything is feeling really good as is.

Oh wait, after reading Pearlman's post, maybe I shouldn't say that it feels "very good," he might tell me it actually feels "very bad."
    Take your spring off and push the suspension down. There is more rotation on both ends than you would think!

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Perlman
    Sorry to be so negative, but what makes you suggest those pictures are 'really good' ?

I love watching bike shots, no matter how good they are; but being a pro photographer, let me tell you those shots are not only not good by any means, they are actually very poor - considering image quality was an issue.

There are tons of snapshots on this forum which get across the 'sexyness' of a ride very well, unlike those images.
    That's a lame thing to say.

Build More = Ride More

Wow!

By the way. I'm a professional human. In my professional opinion you are a poor example of human.

striker!
    Maybe some actions shots on the HL would drive it home for naysayers.

NS can sky that highline leaving plenty of time for even an amateur photographer to get a great shot.

Good riding with you on Sat. You were flying!

S
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Really good bike pics- Highline
    Some great pics of my awesome Highline.

That's a little immodest, don't you think ?
    The shots and retouching are low-tier, but that's not what bothers me - rather the attitude making the OP claim he did some 'really good', 'great pics'.

I can't understand that, could never say it about my images out of principle.

mtbr member
    Great, so you're preaching modesty while touting your own skills as a pro?

So what if hes got an ego, the guy is stoked on some pics he took of a bike he loves. Then you blubber in sounding like the Comic Book guy from the Simpsons. "Those pictures are neither great, nor are they even good. THey are in fact barely mediocre, especially when compared to the artwork in Ironman #37."

Still waiting to see those shots muffin.
    Stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie

Reel good profeshional picters of my turners!

Are here! Please critique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Really good bike pics- Highline-pic-090.jpg  

Really good bike pics- Highline-pic-093.jpg  

Really good bike pics- Highline-6pack-001.jpg  

Really good bike pics- Highline-bw-009.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Is that a truck in the garage? Scout? Bronco?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

The shots and retouching are low-tier, but that's not what bothers me - rather the attitude making the OP claim he did some 'really good', 'great pics'.

You're still coming across as a douche, and I think you fail to comprehend that NoShirt didn't take the pics - Bababooey did , it's NoShirt's bike/dog and he thinks the pics are "great" and "really good". He's entitled to think that if he wants.

You roll in here touting your "professional" status and crapping your opinion in where it isn't needed. We still haven't seen any shots from you (I want full exif data attached, btw), which would lead me to think instead of action shots, you're probably shooting weddings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ...nice pics

What stem is that please?

Let's roll.
    The bikes are nice, but the true beauty lies in the washing machine.

Also, yeah, what kind of truck is that?
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    If it's my stem you are asking about, it's a Point-One Racing, Split-Second stem. I dare to say that it's pretty amazing because Perlman will tell me that it's not only not amazing, but it's not even okay and that in his professional opinion (as a photographer) that it in fact sucks really bad.

In fact, I would advise you or anyone else to just inquire of Perlman what is in fact good, great or awesome when it comes to bike parts, bike pictures, or I guess life in general.
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sorry Pearlman- I'm calling BS. Let's see your portfolio. Any professianal artist knows that art is subjective. There is no good, or bad art, only by nature of personal preference, so you are either lying about being a proffesional artist, or are a arogant prick. Either way..you fail.

mtbr member

That's cool Perlman, photography like music or painting or just about any other creative field is extremely subjective. I personally think Jackson Pollack's works are just paint splatters but there are those that think he's a genius.

What I would suggest to you is that you not look at them if they don't agree with you, just as I do not look at Pollack's paintings. I'm fairly certain that this posting was not titled "Dear Perlman: Photos For Your Consideration". Furthermore I've never suggested that I am anything other than amateur. Nick (No Shirt) posted these photos because he's quite happy with them, he's also the owner of the bike and dog depicted. As a "Pro Photographer" wouldn't you agree that the #1 person you would hope to please with your shots would be your client? Regardless of what others think? I happen to know that Nick's quite happy with the results and that is sufficient to please me.

In conclusion what I would suggest to you is to rearrange your thought process. As a pro photographer, what I would expect from you would be a critical eye with a slant towards constructive criticism. Given the knowledge and experience I would assume anyone calling themselves professional would have, I cannot help but expect more. Your post sounds like a 5th grader's complaints about a food he did not like. "Eww this is yucky".

As it turns out, being a professional in the field of photography, does not necessarily make you an expert communicator. As I do not know you from anything but your post, I'll assume that's the case. As an example of how one might critique constructively and to better illustrate my point, please review the following bullet points.

1. We don't "Watch" bike pics. Perhaps "look at" or "view" would be a better choice.
    2. Your sentence structure is a bit off putting, perhaps consider re-wording
    3. Run on sentences are a problem. Use periods in place of commas to give the reader a sense of natural speech patterns.

As a means to display these points in a practical sense, I've take the liberty of rewriting your first paragraph:

"I love looking at bike shots regardless of how good they are. I am a professional photographer and in my opinion these photos are not good, in fact I would say they are very poor. It seems as though image quality was an issue."

See we can all learn something from each other if we put a little effort into it!

mtbr member

I was being nice in my last response, but I'm over that.

He didn't take the pics ****tard. I did. I didn't call them great or awesome, HE DID. Since they are photos of his bike I think he is entitled to his opinion that's reasonable. The only person being immodest here is you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good god, people, relax, will you ?

Some lad posted pictures, claiming they were great, and I say are not great, they actually are pretty bad .

I told about my background - got to take my word for it - only to explain where I'm coming from.

What's the big deal , for christ's sake ?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Good god, people, relax, will you ?

Some lad posted pictures, claiming they were great, and I say are not great, they actually are pretty bad .

I told about my background - got to take my word for it - only to explain where I'm coming from.

What's the big deal , for christ's sake ?
    The big deal is that you were a dick about it and no, I for one am not going to take your word for it. Got a link to a site with some of your work?

mtbr member

this is how the pros do it

Now THIS is a real professional shot, obviously shot by a professional in a real professional setting. I would call this a very sexy shot.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph.../ppuser/476377

mtbr member
    That shot is very good and great. It really conveys the sexiness of the ride. The photo composition is spot on.
    Have a nice ride!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt
    That shot is very good and great. It really conveys the sexiness of the ride. The photo composition is spot on.
    I think I'll reserve judgment until a REAL pro chimes in. It looks pretty good, but what does a novice like me know? Where's Pearlman when you need him?

bigsbymalone
    Oct 2005

perlman

His name is Perlman as per his original post, no matter though. I think Perlman needs a pearl necklace or a perl necklace rather, from himself not the ocean. Lets see those pro photos of your pro bike. If you're willing to criticize someone you should be willing to validate your comments. People on this board can get out of line but you will get dissed when you try to put down a person who's simply pumped on their bike because you're pumped on your simple ego. Everybody take it easy and enjoy your bike and/or your camera whatever the combo may be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You guys just can't let it go, can you ?

There might be an issue with the cultural divide - where I come from, positive and negative criticism have the same value.
    I know that's different in the US, but I wasn't aware it goes to such extremes.

I do take take exception to being called names considered very rude in any culture, and will ask the moderators to intervene - for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    You're still coming across as a douche, and I think you fail to comprehend that NoShirt didn't take the pics - Bababooey did ...
    You roll in here touting your "professional" status and crapping your opinion in where it isn't needed. We still haven't seen any shots from you (I want full exif data attached, btw), which would lead me to think instead of action shots, you're probably shooting weddings.
    You are right, I did not understand the images were not taken by the OP - in no way did he credit the photographer in the 1st post .
    I failed to make the connection to the posting a couple replies down - my bad, but doesn't really change the context.

And no, I don't shoot weddings, and no, you will never (knowingly) get to see any of my work.

Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    I think I'll reserve judgment until a REAL pro chimes in. It looks pretty good, but what does a novice like me know? Where's Pearlman when you need him?
    Right here !
    Look, some dude even dug out one of the snapshots I recently posted !
    It's not a photo contest - may those who flattered the autor(s) explain why they did so first please.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsbymalone
    ...Lets see those pro photos of your pro bike. If you're willing to criticize someone you should be willing to validate your comments....
    If you post images you call really good , you ask for critique of the author's photography skills.
    If you want positive critique only, just post images of your ride , without reference to possible excellence in a different field.

To conclude, I assume I might have not hit the right tone , for which I apologize, but I am a foreign speaker.

Still I believe the members replying to my little posting have not only blown it out of proportion, but were generally rude and offensive in the process, and never even remotely respecting my differing opinion.

And as I said above, I do mind the name calling - I very much doubt any of you dared to address me that way in real life.

I can only hope that the example you set is not typical for the mtbr message boards.

mtbr member
    Foreign or not, you still have yet to prove that you can do any better then the OP. So for now, you're still talking **** with nothing to stand on.

You're also critisizing the OP for his tone, yet come in with a giant ******** tone of your own that you claim to not see. Its not like you came in and offered helpful advice on how to improve the shots, you just came in and said they are poop and you can do better.

Until you post up your photos to show that you can do better, keep quiet.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A great thread ruined. I thought the pics were real nice. Much better than average and alot better than mine.

Now a pro forum(er) is going to tell me that this thread was not great, but in fact quite bad but I digress.

shreds often
    Apr 2009
    Those pictures are pleasing to my non-professional eye.
    vitalmtb.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    You're also critisizing the OP for his tone, yet come in with a giant ******** tone of your own that you claim to not see.
    Actually, I believe it has been you who was - and remains - the most offensive poster in this thread .
    A cun.t calling someone a dick on the interwebs - typical for those lacking balls, don't you think ?

Its not like you came in and offered helpful advice on how to improve the shots, you just came in and said they are poop and you can do better.

Until you post up your photos to show that you can do better, keep quiet.
    Look, if you want advice from me on how to improve those things, I'd have to start from the bottom, and it would be really time consuming.

Pointers : perspective, lighting and editing create flatness in those samples; shallow dof is a no-no since the mid-90s , and if you can't do better, at least balance the seperation of the parts, colours and the the dark/bright areas .

Seperate foreground, product and background - it would have been very easy to do in the images posted, even though the chosen lighting was the worst possible ( don't use flat lighting on a bike ) , and the shoddy editing made it even worse.

You got grass, bike, hills and sky, and somehow everything got melted together.
    Not some-how, it's actually very obvious how, but to learn more, you'd have to contact my agent first and discuss compensation.

Also, I actually did happen to shoot a number of MTBs and road bikes professionally - only you will never get to see me showing them to you.

Not only couldn't you judge the quality, good or bad, but none of you have ever been in touch with pro photography , else you wouldn't ask for samples to begin with.

Anyways, if no mod can be bothered to take care of this, I'm out of here, and you don't choke on them tea-bags of yours, hear ?

mtbr member
    I think the pictures are great!

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Tho the OP did sound arrogant (he needed to credit the photog to not seem like him touting his own photos). And the photos are not pro level - but great for these forums (I enjoyed them, thanks - notably the "Lust" photo's red ano pedal pins )

I'm curious about these statements.

This is coming from a former pro product photographer, BFA in photography and now the guy that hires you - art director/graphic designer.

shallow dof is a no-no since the mid-90s
    Huh? Selective focus is a tool. Use it when it is the best tool to solve the communication objective. Your fired.

even though the chosen lighting was the worst possible ( don't use flat lighting on a bike )
    ??? That is in direct sunlight! That is not flat lighting! That is about as harsh lighting as you can get!

and the shoddy editing made it even worse.
    You haven't seen the other photos, so how can editing be suspect? Those could be it.

Also, I actually did happen to shoot a number of MTBs and road bikes professionally - only you will never get to see me showing them to you.
    Yeaaaa.....right.

Not only couldn't you judge the quality, good or bad, but none of you have ever been in touch with pro photography , else you wouldn't ask for samples to begin with.
    lol. If you are indeed a pro (unlikely), show some pride. Show 'em how it's done. You can't argue with quality, that is what Turner is all about right?

P

mtbr member
    I would dare to address you like that in real life, I don't much like you.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how all this got twisted around. I took the pics, I've never been nor ever claimed to be a professional. If you must know, Nick showed up at my house at about 4:30 at my house and demanded I take some pics of his bike. I have to pick up my kid at 5:10. So do the math, it's not like I set up a professional shot at sunset with PAs. Just me Nick and his dog with a lot of overhead sun.

Oh did I mention that I shoot with a 4 year old Canon XT and a 100 dollar 50mm? Umm not exactly anything special. I guess Nick should have titled the thread, "some pics that I personally think are awesome of my bike". Maybe that would have cleared things up.

At the end of the day I take pics for myself because I think it's fun. that's about it. So assuming that Perlman is a pro (and that's a big assumption) I'm not sure why I would even be compared to him. Apples and Oranges?

Regardless as I mentioned in one of my first comments any artistic venture (music, painting, photography whatever) is completely and totally personal. I make my pics look how I enjoy them. I think that stands repeating, The way I like them. Maybe you connect with them, maybe you don't. I can't control that. To comment on something Zombie said, I add lens vingetting because I like it, take that however you like. If you think that's cheesy or cheap, you're entitled to your opinion.

Anyway to those of you that liked them. great, glad to hear it. To those that don't that's totally cool too. Nick next time you post anything I shot just be sure to clarify that YOU think they are awesome not that they ARE awesome.