Kiwi that Flew

Raw finish 5 Spot Query

Hi All,

I have recently bought a Raw finish 5 Spot from an online retailer
    Having never seen a raw finish in the flesh before, I was a bit surprised at the finish on the attached image

Are these rough sanding marks/ scratches normal or have a I been sent a dud??

Can anyone comment??

deano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw finish 5 Spot Query-untitled-2.jpg  

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    When one orders a raw, they get a frame that is unfinished. No polishing, no clean up, drawing marks from the tubing processes, machine marks, etc. If you're willing, clean it up with some steel wool, or something. Polish it up.

Outcast
    Yup; raw means raw, rough, not polished, or semi-finished. If you want to improve it, it will take some work on your part.

mtbr member
    yup that is normal. my spot has sanding and finishing marks throughout. i like it.

mtbr member
    Looks ok to me. As other people said raw means raw. Mine has all sorts of marks, scuffs, tooling marks etc. It's what makes them unique!

Kiwi that Flew
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I just needed a bit reassurance that this was normal.

Time for the buildup and the glamorous sofa shot!!

Thanks again for your comments

Deano
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 04-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    OK, now lets see the rest of the bike

Kiwi that Flew

Here's the frame...

Quote Originally Posted by jkkfam89

Build to follow!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw finish 5 Spot Query-p4254560.jpg  

Kiwi that Flew

Here's the BIKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkkfam89

First ride today.....OMG...this baby is unreal!!!

Totally love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw finish 5 Spot Query-p5084846.jpg  

Raw finish 5 Spot Query-p5084849.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome aren't they?! Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    that is a great looking bike!! well done.

Clint

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Love raw. Polish to a mirror finish like the old ones, don't worry about scratching the pc or paint if you're especially harsh on bikes, and "tough as nails".

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Pretty rough for 2.5k

I prefer polished frames but I guess Turner doesn't do that anymore. Too bad! Awesome looking bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks great

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Very nice.. I likey

Kiwi that Flew
    Yip - I am really happy with the RAW finish now that its all built-up etc. Like people have said there is always the option to polish it up in the future - but as it stands today I just like the individuality that you get from this finish - plus not having to worry about the odd scratch etc.

But all that aside - the handling is just confidence inspiring. It feels so tight and very 'playful' but seems to peddle as well as my HL Flux and I recon (on its first day out) that the DW spot is better on the technical climbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    hi, just bought a second hand 2010 5 spot raw, took it home and started to dislike the finish...
    I then polished the frame and fle better, only now after reading all the reviews I'm really beginiing to regret it !! anything I can do to make it less shiny ....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You will never get it back to that original state once polished...
    Depending on how highly you have polished it, it will oxidize over a period of time, but it could take many many months! Wire wooling it will give it a satin type of finish, maybe a very fine wet bead blast may produce the results your after..be aware that a too course bead will produce quite a pitted finish...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    thx, i think like many others I was a little surprised by the finish, but I reacted too quickly..... shame really because i now like the finish and deepy regret polishing it. I'll give it the winter and see what happens, and see if it dulls down some. Im not keen on wet bead blast but may try wire wool cheers .... btw have you seen many polished 5 spots

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by edotorian View Post
    thx, i think like many others I was a little surprised by the finish, but I reacted too quickly..... shame really because i now like the finish and deepy regret polishing it. I'll give it the winter and see what happens, and see if it dulls down some. Im not keen on wet bead blast but may try wire wool cheers .... btw have you seen many polished 5 spots
    Yes try wire wool, I have just helped a friend refurb his frame... We chemically stripped, wire wooled then sanded down before priming...ball ache of a job!!

In the flesh, nope..Check out Toons on here, he has had a highly polished 5 Spot which i think looked awesome!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    do you know what, thats my dilemma, i wanted a unique bike but still with a bit of bling and the spot appealed. Just surprised me when i saw it, but over the last week ive grown to love raw finish ( too late now as i bloody polished it) its not heavily mirror polish just more stripped to clean metal.... i guess there are less of these than standard raw so element of individuality, just dont want to be the dick on the shiny 5 spot !

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been lurking on here and really deciding on getting the 5spot but did not know which color to get!. Thanks to this thread I've finally pulled the trigger today and ordered a 2012 spot in raw. I hope I didn't make the wrong decision with the raw. but looking at the pics it seems to suit me just fine. Here's to fingers crossed!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Before; as Toons had it,

Now; not quite so polished!