Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rainbow stoke You know you want some

I'm of the opinion there can never be too much trail stoke on this forum, whether it's the easy shizz that I put out there, the nighttime riding of FM and Our Man In Alaska, the rock crawling of S-Works and others and the death-defyin' flyin' of the Sanchez crew.

It's much cooler than a few days ago but mid-30s still ain't bad. I went to the closest trail (15 minutes drive away) and rode up into the haze and clouds. Once in the upper elevations of this trail (Spring Brook) a warm breeze started blowing and a light rain began falling. WTF? It's too cold for rain, right? Got a cold front coming in with more snow for Sunday! I'm riding through last night's fresh snow! It went from kinda gloomy to some blue sky and mid-40s. Rain sometimes brings rainbows so here ya go: (it was kinda cool knowing I was going to ride into the "end of the rainbow". I had my eyes peeled for that Pot O' Gold)
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

FM
    luxatio erecta
    ooooohhhh, good stuff. Those trails look FAST. Thanks for the stoke!

Lay off the Levers
    Maybe if I hang one of those infront of my fitless cycle and pedal hard enough, I'll actually ride right into it.
    I'd love to wring that out.
    Greate shots XCG.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Captain Underpants
    Looks like 29er/Flux/Burner territory.

Nice pix. Stoke is stoke.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Most of the local trails near here have turned to ice so without studs they're unrideable. Outside it's 17F at the moment with windchill knocking 10 off that and not likely to warm up much through the day. So much for riding dirt or the road metric I was planning.

banned
    Great pics!

mtbr member
    Great photos XCG, IMO you have a good eye for capturing the feel of trails. I like the framing of the 4th in the series a lot.

I'm dealing with similar conditions as 6th so I'll be spinning up the trainer in front of the TV in a bit here
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Great pics!
    Ditto! Pics like that make you want to go aout and ride - so I am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the replies. My pics are more travelogue. If I ever started video taping my rides you'd all be hoarse from yelling at the screen "go faster, go faster!". In fact, I need to just leave my camera at home and ride hard, I'm starting to lose what little fitness I have from stopping so much.

Just to prove it's not all sunshine around here in late January, here's this morning's sunrise as todays snowstorm is moving in:
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Speed is relative. As long as YOU feel like you're going fast, and YOU feel like you're having a good time, then you're going fast enough! Great pictures, I've started hanging out on the turner boards and I don't even ride a turner because I look forward to the riding stoke you guys have. Very nice to see people out enjoying nature, riding, and generally having a good time!

banned
    No riding today, but yesterday was pretty fun...

on topic,,,there was a beautiful rainbow as I was driving the the TH for this ride, but I don't have pics.

Wicketed
    Mmmmm smooth and drifty. Lovely, swoopy, dry trails. If you ever get bored of them, can you send them over here to the UK? Thanks.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

My cup runneth over
    7th picture with the rocky mountain in the background is a keeper.

I rode GM south of you early this morning and stayed out a little too long - took me a while to warm back up! Actually rode a trail I have never been on when I got lost in the fog - explains why I was out too long too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    7th picture with the rocky mountain in the background is a keeper.

I rode GM south of you early this morning and stayed out a little too long - took me a while to warm back up! Actually rode a trail I have never been on when I got lost in the fog - explains why I was out too long too...
    Thanks. I've tried to capture that part of the trail differently each time I ride it. I was trying out a new camera with a 28mm wide so I could get more than usual in the pic at that point. Today, at 14 degrees there was no way I was going out riding. Yesterday was weird in a way: there was this inversion layer keeping the cold air down low along with the light smog/haze---for all I knew it was cold and hazy up higher, too. But when I got up to the highest point I'd climbed out of it.

I didn't know exactly where the transition point was from clear clean air to cold and smog until I was riding down and I could actually see a faint brown haze rise up to above my head and the ozone smell was unmistakable. You can see that brown layer in the distance in some of the pics. Today it's just cold everywhere.

Elitest thrill junkie
    More Rainbow stokage.

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cool. Thanks for that vid!

NOT Team Sanchez
    absolutely beautiful pics!
    I like bikes.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    More Rainbow stokage.
    Richie Blackmore... That takes me back a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The reason rides like that are so cool in late January in Colorado is...that they shouldn't even be happening. Usually it's winter here. To wit: pics of today's snowstorm and bitter cold:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here's the latest on the weather at Spring Brook

You have to really appreciate it when it's as nice as it was two days ago:

http://www.eol.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/weat...r&fields=raina

mtbr member
    what kind of camera did you use, the pics look really good. I like the pic you took of your shadow. good stuff and thanks for posting!
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr
    what kind of camera did you use, the pics look really good. I like the pic you took of your shadow. good stuff and thanks for posting!
    Canon SD880. That was my first experimental set of photographs with my new camera. The 28mm wide is really handy. It's not really about the camera it's about the lighting that day and just trying to notice good scenes to capture. I imagine I was the only one who saw that rainbow---every one who passed me had their heads down and were just grunting up the trail. I'm going to have to do some comparisons with my other Canon SD point and shoots but the SD880 does seem to have a better dynamic range, who knows. It's a 10 mp camera but I had it dialed down to 6 mp for these first shots just to keep the file sizes reasonable.

mtbr member
    Thats cool being able to see a half mile of the trail in front of you. I ride in the southeast, so you can maybe see fifty yards in front of you due to the trees. My sis lives in Denver-I need to pay her a visit and ride some of the trails on the eastern range.
    Too wet to ride!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    The reason rides like that are so cool in late January in Colorado is...that they shouldn't even be happening. Usually it's winter here. To wit: pics of today's snowstorm and bitter cold:
    This is why I will be dining CC style this week.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Richie Blackmore... That takes me back a bit.
    That reminds me of my senior year in high school, most of which I have forgotten . . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast