Thread: racing my spot

PSI
    I want that one

... and if we just ... racing my spot

took a shot at my first super d, or short track super d... it was about a mile long, 1/3 dh and then 2/3 pedal til you puke. i managed to place 57 out of 91 at 3:16. not bad for a 45 years old f@rt. the spot was flawless as always (andyn, not your rear, btw ). here's some shots
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baked Alaskan
    Cool, so you had a photo crew stationed at strategic locations around the course, or one person that can move REALLY fast? More props to the Spot, the most versatile ride around -- outside of the Highline.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    reminds me a bit of the higher elevations in az. good result man. hope ya had fun.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Cool, so you had a photo crew stationed at strategic locations around the course, or one person that can move REALLY fast? More props to the Spot, the most versatile ride around -- outside of the Highline.
    That would be his chick

Nice shots PSI, good form and nice to see the Spot being put through its paces it can definitely handle some of that, course looks great for the Spot too

Chur..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    reminds me a bit of the higher elevations in az. good result man. hope ya had fun.
    thanks. i had great fun. i did a few not so practice runs last saturday and then again on tue which turned out a lot better and got me in the zone. i had the whole run etched into my brain, i was relaxed and focused. total zen. i could have cornered better and pedaled harder, but I'm still stocked.

PSI
    I want that one
    there were photographers all over, actually almost got in my way on both of my runs.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    i could have cornered better and pedaled harder, but I'm still stocked.
    Looks like a big ring might have come in handy for that run...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

trail fairy
    11/26 and a 36/38T, no GHEY triples on the DH course please

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

PSI
    I want that one
    good point. since the track wasn't steep i probably could of made a better result on my flux. i larger chain ring is being ordered for the spot too.

trail fairy
    good point. since the track wasn't steep i probably could of made a better result on my flux. i larger chain ring is being ordered for the spot too.
    Oh and wear lycra skin suit next time, all the guys on RM use that one as an excuse for not doing well at WC level

Course if eveyone wore lycra the results would still be the same doh
    great argument

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Oh and wear lycra skin suit next time, all the guys on RM use that one as an excuse for not doing well at WC level

Course if eveyone wore lycra the results would still be the same doh
    great argument
    my my paded cya shorts would look hilarious under neon spandex. ill consider. a few posts before gear ratios i mentioned my cornering skills and pedaling harder as the main points for improvement.

trail fairy
    my my paded cya shorts would look hilarious under neon spandex. ill consider. a few posts before gear ratios i mentioned my cornering skills and pedaling harder as the main points for improvement.
    Fair call, pedalling is always my weakness as well hence I stay off the brakes as much as possible, cornering is my strength but even that needs constant work in DH amazing how that gets highlighted when ya rocking the clock with a Full Face on.

Keep up the races PSI gotta go easy on yourself it takes awhile I found I was learning so much more from DHing about every aspect of riding again last year so don't be too hard on yourself most in the know same the same thing it takes a while to get it dialled down so don't expect too much too soon, just have fun and work on on bit at a time!

I found riding too my strengths and minmising my weaknesses I found in practice worked for me, so I went for it on the corners drops roots, bit more cautious in off cambers and big gaps tried to stay low keep it tight, smooth in the rock gardens and ride relaxed and just enjoy myself not worrying about results, at times when I wanted to go for the big stuff I just calmed myself down and rode smart, normally its where others blew up!

All the top guys ahead of me in my class had been racing DH for sometime so you can learn allot from them in practice, lines to take lines not to take, always good to check out lots of options on practice as by race time the good lines everyones been using are wrecked, or that was the case here anyway, So I always had options esspecialyl for cornering, the main lines are often not the best ones

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Fair call, pedalling is always my weakness as well hence I stay off the brakes as much as possible, cornering is my strength but even that needs constant work in DH amazing how that gets highlighted when ya rocking the clock with a Full Face on.

Keep up the races PSI gotta go easy on yourself it takes awhile I found I was learning so much more from DHing about every aspect of riding again last year so don't be too hard on yourself most in the know same the same thing it takes a while to get it dialled down so don't expect too much too soon, just have fun and work on on bit at a time!

I found riding too my strengths and minmising my weaknesses I found in practice worked for me, so I went for it on the corners drops roots, bit more cautious in off cambers and big gaps tried to stay low keep it tight, smooth in the rock gardens and ride relaxed and just enjoy myself not worrying about results, at times when I wanted to go for the big stuff I just calmed myself down and rode smart, normally its where others blew up!

All the top guys ahead of me in my class had been racing DH for sometime so you can learn allot from them in practice, lines to take lines not to take, always good to check out lots of options on practice as by race time the good lines everyones been using are wrecked, or that was the case here anyway, So I always had options esspecialyl for cornering, the main lines are often not the best ones
    yup. lots more fun than xc racing. even though its familiar trail running it in race mode upped my skills a notch. youre right about staying calm, its hard to with the adrenaline but i really didnt want to blow up. ill take your advice for the next race, more runs, more line learning, maybe even take a cornering workshop... thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Man I wish there was something like that on the east coast. Looks like fun.
    All about the ride

trail fairy
    yup. lots more fun than xc racing. even though its familiar trail running it in race mode upped my skills a notch. youre right about staying calm, its hard to with the adrenaline but i really didnt want to blow up. ill take your advice for the next race, more runs, more line learning, maybe even take a cornering workshop... thanks.
    No probs PSI give that a try and enjoy, I know when I get back to some level of riding and fitness, I'll do a JK clinic [John Kirikcalde] there's always more ya can learn no matter how much experience ya got, I been racing all forms for over 30years on and off and still learning or re learning its whats so awesome about MTB, plus riding with these guys just rubs off

Edit, also all the top guys in my class had done more than one JK clinic and were regulars I found out LOL [bastids] and it always helps having somene else analyse ya tech in different sits

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs