mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Race XC on a Sultan?

I have a 2011 Sultan with X9/XT type build, Stans Flows wheelset. Probably weighs 31 pounds.

I'm not a racer boy, but was considering doing some XC racing this summer. Possibly doing some longer stuff too. I'm not going to podium, but I will compete.

Plan A is to put the Sultan on a diet - light wheelset, light tires, ditch the gravity dropper, skinny seat for race day, etc.

Plan B is to not pretend that the Sultan is an xc race bike and buy a used Superfly or Epic or other race machine.

Any ideas? Anyone race XC on a Sultan?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'm lucky enough to have an Epic and a Sultan, and though there are a few people that race XC on a Sultan, I think the Epic is a much better tool for XC racing. My Sultan with a Reba XX/X.0 2x10/Enve AM wheels/Gravity Dropper is just under 29 lbs. The Epic Expert is running a SID/XX 2x10/Enve XC wheels/Thomson Masterpiece post is about 23.75 lbs. And that's with the same tires (Racing Ralphs), cockpit, saddle and brakes. Honestly, the Sultan puts a bigger smile on my face, but it would cost a fortune to get the Sultan down to a weight where I didn't feel like the weight was holding me back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    if your racing for fun, just ride the Sultan.

I rode a race in 2010 on an Air 9, then rode the same race one year later on the Sultan.

I had more fun on the Sultan and placed better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've raced both, and on some courses the Sultan rules(rocky rootfestw/lots of downs) others Epic rules(lots of smooth climbing) I can't wait for the new Turner 29DW race bike. Not sure if it's gonna be ready for racing this year though. I've called the Turner hq a few times and mums the word. Which I'm ok with, because I'd rather have it as dialed as possible than not.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch View Post
    I have a 2011 Sultan with X9/XT type build, Stans Flows wheelset. Probably weighs 31 pounds.

I'm not a racer boy, but was considering doing some XC racing this summer. Possibly doing some longer stuff too. I'm not going to podium, but I will compete.

Plan A is to put the Sultan on a diet - light wheelset, light tires, ditch the gravity dropper, skinny seat for race day, etc.

Plan B is to not pretend that the Sultan is an xc race bike and buy a used Superfly or Epic or other race machine.

Any ideas? Anyone race XC on a Sultan?
    Sure... I have an '09 Sultan that weighs in at 28 lbs. and is my preferred ride for XC races and endurance events (I'm not in it to make the podium). I weigh just under 200 lbs. before suiting up. A ~23 vs a 28 lb. bike does not impact rider to bike weight ratio all that much though some of my clyde friends are building lighter bikes so it will be fun to see if I can still keep up with them

Have at it with your bike and see what happens...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would race on the Sultan with a lighter Wheelset and Race-Tires...

I will build a Turner Sultan this Summer for riding trails and probably one or two races a Year.

i'll build it with 26 lbs. as limit. i am not on the light side myself with 200lbs.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I'm with the others who say just ride it. That's a lot of coin to lighten a bike for a few rides when you aren't shooting for the podium.

I ride a 31.3 lb RIP9 and just signed up for the 18 Hours of Fruita, which will be my first race - not trying to win, just have fun and challenge myself. I'm focusing on bike fitment for comfort for the longer hours on the bike rather than weight. Right now, my back starts to get tired at about 1.5 hrs and from the bike fit I did Monday, we made some adjustments, but I still need to get a shorter stem and possibly wider bars, but going to try the stem first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd go with a three step approach.

First, put some fast, light tires, light seat and non-dropper post on the Sultan. No more, no less.

Second, go racing.

Third, if you end up liking it a lot, get an Epic or similar. A Sultan can be made into a very competitive endurance racer, but will just never be a true xc race whip (thank god).

Rumors are rampant, and who really knows, but if you wait until next season, you may be able to stick with Turner in the form of a new 29er "racy" bike!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I'd go with a three step approach.

First, put some fast, light tires, light seat and non-dropper post on the Sultan. No more, no less.

Second, go racing.

Third, if you end up liking it a lot, get an Epic or similar. A Sultan can be made into a very competitive endurance racer, but will just never be a true xc race whip (thank god).

Rumors are rampant, and who really knows, but if you wait until next season, you may be able to stick with Turner in the form of a new 29er "racy" bike!
    ^^^^ this
    Hey I use my 5 Spot for endurance races (6h) and I do pretty good. I take gravity dropper and put lighter tires (Racing Ralph too). I also have the Flows ;-)
    Go and have fun; the idea is to challenge ourselves
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    I've raced both, and on some courses the Sultan rules(rocky rootfestw/lots of downs) others Epic rules(lots of smooth climbing) I can't wait for the new Turner 29DW race bike. Not sure if it's gonna be ready for racing this year though. I've called the Turner hq a few times and mums the word. Which I'm ok with, because I'd rather have it as dialed as possible than not.
    My Sultan is a 2009 version too, which has more of a xc geometry vs the lastest versions which are more trail oriented.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    any bike can be a XC race bike if you buy a $3000 built by Mikesee wheelset - your bike will have magical powers on the race course and you will get far more REP POWER

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    any bike can be a XC race bike if you buy a $3000 built by Mikesee wheelset - your bike will have magical powers on the race course and you will get far more REP POWER
    Idiot. Everybody knows that Mike's (excellent) wheels do not fit on Turners.

You really should have known.

No rep for you.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    in 2011 raced the high cascade 107 miler with my Sultan that weighed 26.25 pounds at the time. If you are racing a rough course the Sultan will be at an advantage.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2 View Post
    in 2011 raced the high cascade 107 miler with my Sultan that weighed 26.25 pounds at the time. If you are racing a rough course the Sultan will be at an advantage.
    ^^^this^^^ and what others have said -- enjoy your Sultan on the race course unless you aim to podium.

I rode my 2011 Sultan (32#ish) in the 100+ mile Cascade Cream Puff in '11 and enjoyed the event just fine. ~17,000' gain... if I can do it, anyone can. But to be clear, I was not competing... just completing.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Living the Dream

wow

that is a light sultan.
    I did the shenandoah 100 on my 29 pound sultan in 2011 and I did it this year on a 22lb highball. Needless to say I did much better on the highball. I love my sultan, but not for 10 hour races with 14,000 feet of climbing.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Neg reppers r my biatches
    ...26.25 pounds...
    wow, where did you get your carbon gravity dropper? thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My mike c wheels fit and work great on my sultan! Mike is dbest!