Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Committed

Race proven, Deer Valley national & the new DHR

Well, I'm back and recovering from the Deer Valley National.

The race was great, the course a bit brutal. There seemed to be more injuries then usual at this event. The course was rough and fast with a couple sections offering the potential for disaster. Several pros and a fair number of amateurs crashed themselves out of contention during practice in the days leading up the main event.
    This was my third year of racing the Deer Valley national, so I had a good Idea of what the course was like and knew what it took to put a good race run together.
    I was a little nervous on the new DHR as I had only built it the past weekend.
    The first day of practice was a bit tough, but by race day I was happy with my lines and feeling confident I could put down a decent time.
    The bike was feeling perfect and I was cautiously optimistic that I could make the podium.
    On race day I was feeling the nerves like always and as I approached the start house the course was closed to clear an injured rider. I was three riders back from starting and it seemed like forever before the officials reopened the course.
    When I got into the starting gate I tried to clear my head and focus on a clean smooth run. The beeps counted down and I got a well timed gate, on the pedals hard.
    I hit my lines decently and made no major mistakes. I had a bit of a scary moment on the bedrock drop. I rode the front wheel down a rock spine while the rear end floated off the side and hung in the air until I hit the roll out. When I get to a scanner I'll post a photo that a event photographer caught of me on the front wheel as this happened.
    Then it was through the woods and down the 'spin cycle burms towards the finish.
    I hit the finish line drop as fast as I dared and pedaled as hard as I could over the finish line. As I dropped my bike and tore off my helmet I heard the announcer say I was in first place and to please report to the 'hot seat'.
    I sat there as the rest of my class rolled through and held on to the fastest time.
    I had never won a national before this, so I was a little dazed but very stoked.
    A crowd of good friends gathered around offering congratulations and lots of beer.
    We went to awards and then spent the rest of the evening celebrating.
    It was an amazing experience and was a great reward for years of working hard to improve my bike skills.
    I can only imagine how it must feel to win at the pro level, and the further I progress the more respect I have for those guys.
    I wish I had some pictures of the dh run, but it didn't work out. My teammate who was up on the hill to take race run photos was helping an injured rider when I came through. Obviously the right choice!
    I also raced the dual slalom and had a lot of fun. I am a better dh rider then ds, but I made it to the round of 8 and went out fighting. I do have a couple of photos from the dual race and the podium shot as well.
    Needless to say I am loving the new DHR, awesome way to break in the new bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1soulrider; 06-18-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

Team Sanchez
    Congrats! I'm hoping to get up there sometime this summer just to tear it up for a few days. Let's rethink those jean shorts though...
    Last edited by El Chingon; 06-19-2007 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Congrats! Great write-up and the bike is still looking smokin' hot. What bike where you riding in the DS event?

not so super...
    Congrats on the win! Sounds llike it was a great race.
    Nothing to see here.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    how cool soul! ive hit some beginner and sport podiums but not often. cant imagine the feelin of standin on top at a place like that in a class like yers. yer proud bucket must be spillin over!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Congrats! Great write-up and the bike is still looking smokin' hot. What bike where you riding in the DS event?

I was on my Turner 4X bike

Hisforever

sweet

what class?

Captain Underpants
    Rock on, great write up. Enjoy your win, you deserve it!

trail fairy
    Congrats SR great way to debut both Ts well done.

The Stoke is flying high, nice pix and good to see the DHR doing so well
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Congratulations! That definately has to feel good.

I was trying to get to the NMBS site and I have to say, they have the WORST site(s) and links ever. Do you have a link to all of the results?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Nice work...

I couldnt make it this year but that course has beaten me two years in a row. I ate it in the final S turns at the end my first year and didnt even make it out of practice last year. I went into Barney Rubble a little hot and stacked hard. Hospital, bunch of stiches....big DNF. I was on my DHR too......must have had a loose bolt or something....couldnt have been the rider

With that said, congrats dude....any win in any class there is big.

TSD
    Last edited by TireSideDown; 06-19-2007 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Let's rethink those jean shots though...
    Do not take style-related tips from this man. He is frequently observed prancing around in small pieces of stretchy, neon material (Speedo swimsuits)!

Congrats SR! Sounds like a burly course. Hoping to see that nose wheelie photo.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Committed
    Thanks for all the support!

I race the expert class 35-39, just turning 35 this year. Funny thing is I would have won my old class (30-34) by 15 seconds...

The NMBS web page is a joke, no hope of finding anything there. Go here for results on the USA Cycling page: http://www.usacycling.org/results/in...ermit=2007-739

The JrX class winner, Brad Oien also on a new DHR, had a time that would have won Semi-Pro by more than 5 seconds. He is on fire this year winning his third national in a row.

I'm comfortable with the jean shorts, not near brave enough for a Speedo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Props!

Excellent effort SR!

The fam and I were up there on Sunday watching the Pro class. It has been a annual event for us the last 3-4 yrs. The pictures you see don't do this course justice. It gives me a gut ache to watch, but is sooooo worth it!

Casey
    Last edited by CaseyH71; 06-19-2007 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    Thanks for all the support!

I race the expert class 35-39, just turning 35 this year. Funny thing is I would have won my old class (30-34) by 15 seconds...

The NMBS web page is a joke, no hope of finding anything there. Go here for results on the USA Cycling page: http://www.usacycling.org/results/in...ermit=2007-739

The JrX class winner, Brad Oien also on a new DHR, had a time that would have won Semi-Pro by more than 5 seconds. He is on fire this year winning his third national in a row.

I'm comfortable with the jean shorts, not near brave enough for a Speedo.

aaaaah, yeah I know you! Most of the fast 30 - 34 guys stepped up to Semi Pro.....as should you, you sandbagger. JK. Really though, 30-34 is usually faster...15 seconds is a huge gap. Did they have that "waterfall" section again? Did they add back in the drop they took out last year?

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSideDown
    aaaaah, yeah I know you! Most of the fast 30 - 34 guys stepped up to Semi Pro.....as should you, you sandbagger. JK. Really though, 30-34 is usually faster...15 seconds is a huge gap. Did they have that "waterfall" section again? Did they add back in the drop they took out last year?

I know, I'm thinking of going semi-pro next year if I win the series this year. It's a big step though, I won't have to worry about making the podium anymore for sure.
    The waterfall section was back, although they improved the entrance so it was less dangerous. It also had a slightly lower left line that required a little less commitment, but was very hard to hit with any speed. Still, alot of people went down hard there.
    Here is a photo me in that section on my race run, kinda sketchy.
    I assume I'd recognize you from the races?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

NCS Course Pics

These are from Sunday during the Pro Men's DH.

Casey

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I know, I'm thinking of going semi-pro next year if I win the series this year. It's a big step though, I won't have to worry about making the podium anymore for sure.
    The waterfall section was back, although they improved the entrance so it was less dangerous. It also had a slightly lower left line that required a little less commitment, but was very hard to hit with any speed. Still, alot of people went down hard there.
    Here is a photo me in that section on my race run, kinda sketchy.
    I assume I'd recognize you from the races?
    Yeah dude, that waterfall is always friggin sketchy. My buddy cracked a helmet there...rang his bell pretty good. You may recognize me...im the guy never on the podium at nationals :-) I raced SBF for a while and then for Rockgardn so I was always in that gear. Just switched over to 661 last season, ride a black dhr. I had two terrible seasons in a row and just moved to Austin so the nationals are out of reach this year. Ill be back next year but im still in 30-34.
    Last edited by TireSideDown; 06-21-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Now with flavor!!
    Oh great.

Now I'll never see you again.

Me: hey man want to go riding?

1soulrider: No way I've got to go do wind sprints on my ss hardtail for my budding pro dh career

Nice work beyotch
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Committed
    Here is a little bit of video of the race course.
    It really doesn't do much justice to it, but it's better than nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQgpEImGhk

mtbr member
    Post some more pics of the dhr.........

Committed
    What are you looking to see?
    I can take some photos of whatever aspect interests you....

mtbr member

Ditto!

I too pulled of the top spot on the podium at Deer Valley, on my RFX in the Super D, 30-39 Mens!

must be the 07 turners. Could only pull 2nd last year on the Yeti....

My roommate put his ankle on backwards after jumping over the bars to his feet down the waterfall. Too many injuries in the DH, the course just got too loose and unpredictable. Time to retire it.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    nice work krispy! gotta be the new breed that put ya over the top. i sure am faster on mine but i think its more of a confidence thing.

really sorry to hear about yer pal. touched my toes to my calf in the winter of '03. not fun.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    cave, does a yellow is fine for you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast