Team Sanchez

Quick review of the Geax Sturdy

I've put about 100 miles on this tire in the past 2 weeks, and just wanted to report back on my findings. The tire that the Sturdy replaced was a 2.35 Kenda Nevegal Sticky Single ply. First the things I liked about the Sturdy....

1. Good pinch flat resistance
    2. Very high volume for a 2.25 tire
    3. Braking characteristics
    4. Long wearing compound

Now for the not so good...

1. Doesn't corner worth a shite. Side lug's pattern is too vertical, so when I get into a corner really hot, they skip and wash very easily.

The reason I went to the Sturdy was to get a longer wearing tire. I would go through a Nevy in the rear in 2 months time. Unfortunately the fact that the Sturdy suffers in corners means that I will not be buying another one. I just ordered a Big Betty in the harder durometer from Larry. Hopfully that tire will do the trick.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    El C, I was surprised to see you riding sturdies. I've gone through about, oh, 20 pairs of UST sturdies. They are pretty much the most loved tire up here in the PNW, with my crew- light enough to climb all day on, sturdy enough for XC hucking, and the square profile is perfect for our typically wet, loamy off camber root & rock terrain.

I would not choose them for dry conditions on hard pack or slickrock, too square.

I've also toasted new sets up in BC. While beefy, they are not beefy enough for big moves on rocky terrain. I like the michellin DH tires much better for anything remotely FR.

Also, I think the sturdy works great as a back tire- in front... not so hot. Sturdy in back with a michelin comp 16 in front works great up here. Again, wouldn't go that route for dry hard conditions. Square tires are great for mud and soft conditions, not so good for hard stuff and rock.

Team Sanchez
    Interesting perspective FM. I can see how they would perform better in the soft and wet considering the large square knobs. Truth be told, I rarely run a dual ply tire, even for more abusive drops on rock. I usually keep my rear tire at 50 psi, and front at 40 psi, and I rarely flat. Porc rim in Moab is really the only time I run dual plys. That trail just screams pinch flat.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Interesting perspective FM. I can see how they would perform better in the soft and wet considering the large square knobs. Truth be told, I rarely run a dual ply tire, even for more abusive drops on rock. I usually keep my rear tire at 50 psi, and front at 40 psi, and I rarely flat. Porc rim in Moab is really the only time I run dual plys. That trail just screams pinch flat.
    That explains it all! My first ride on sturdies was on the shore, on a wet day. Actually my first time there with EBX about 3 years ago. Anyways at first I didn't like the sturdies at all, then I let 10psi out down to like 25, and they really came to life.

Up here the max speed on our downhills is usually like 15mph. combined with the terrain, low tire pressure is a must, and we rarely get going fast enough to worry about rolling tires.

anyways..... you still going to Moab end of april? I'm heading down with a potentially huge crew. Can't wait!

mtbr member

Nevegal DTC

El C - have you tried the dual tread compound Nevegals? I run that on the back of my Spot in 2.35 and love them so far. Only about 5 rides so far though. They still grip well even with the harder center compound. I 've gotten very good wear on the 2.1's I run on my Epic.

C

No, that's not phonetic
    FM, I'm surprised you like the Sturdies so much. I ride in similar conditions and they are pretty far down my list of favorites. They knobs are too small and close together to really hook up for me. I use them in dry conditions on road trips when I want a lightish tire with big volume that rolls pretty fast.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    It is weird how much tires really are personal preference! But pretty much my whole crew runs them on our trail bikes.

T, I suspect we may have pretty different terrain. I notice you run very skinny tires in mud season, godzilla tires for snow, and all-round trail tires in the summer. Here we actually don't have a ton of mud & almost never have snow. We do ride a lot of steep, constantly wet granite, glacial soil which drains well but tends to be loose & rocky, & of course roots roots roots. And the occasional logride / ladder bridge. Tires with bigger/ taller widely spaced lugs tend to feel sketchy (to me) on the wet granite & woodwork here. We don't have too much trouble with tires packing up since the soil is mostly rocky.

I think the main thing I dig about the sturdies, at least the UST's, is the casing is thick enough yet light, I can run very low pressures and not flat or roll tires. The sturdy really needs low pressure to hook up, I didn't like them till I ran them 5psi lower than I would have thought safe.

Team Sanchez
    I haven't tried the DTC's, but I am a huge fan of the stickies, I just wanted something that would last a little longer. Maybe the DTC's are the way.

El C.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I haven't tried the DTC's, but I am a huge fan of the stickies, I just wanted something that would last a little longer. Maybe the DTC's are the way.

El C.
    The DTCs definitely give up some straight line traction, but last much longer (I'd venture to say almost twice as long).

I'm constantly going between the two compounds, but haven't settled on a favorite as both have pros and cons.

Lay off the Levers
    In my experience with the Sturdy I found similar results to FM and El C and Ts... nice bite in soft loamy condititions. Too square and sketchy cornering on hard surfaces, dosen't clear mud as well as my current favorite rear tire: Nokian NBX.... the more I ride this tire the better I like it. I'm on my second one and while it does wear faster than the Sturdy I really like the round profile and it sheds mud like greasy Hershy-squirts. Probably not great in deep mud but really good at staying clear. I couldn't imagine trying the Sturdy up front. Just looks like it would suck.

Up front I like the Fat Albert nice roll and feel, great resistance to pushing, wears extremely well. I did just rip a knob off mine though.

Like FM, my DH speeds don't often get past 15MPh...tight and twisty singletrack, lots of mixed surfaces.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

I've got a Stiffee
    Yeah El C, I'd try out a DTC Nevegal if I were you....I switch back and forth on my Pack and find there isn't that huge of a difference in traction between the stick-e and DTC. I also just ordered up a Big Betty from Larry, gonna try it out on the front of the Pack.

mtbr platinum member
    I find the Sturdy UST to be alright, but not spectacular as a rear tire for the hardpack/loose-over-hardpack terrain here in Boise.

Before the Sturdy, I was using the Geax Sedona 2.25", which has a round profile. IMHO, I find the Sturdy to be more square in profile, which makes leaning it over on hardpack, or loose over hardpack, to be really squirmy and very unpredictable. It's almost like it starts to loose cornering traction completely and starts to slide out without regaining composure again until you really move your weight around on the bike. This handling trait seems to be absent while up in the loamy forrest terrain that we have up in the mountains.

On the plus side, the Sturdy UST's have a really beefy casing and durable rubber compound that holds up really well to all that Moab's rocky, nasty, cheese grater-like terrain has to offer. I didn't run any sealant in the tire and not once had any thorn punctures, burping, or rim tags despite running around 32-35psi. Braking on loose rocks and dirt with the bike upright (before committing to turns) is excellent, but not as forgiving as some once leaned on edge.

Just my .02.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Lay off the Levers
    I'll 2nd you on that too BX40.... I brougt my Sturdy UST to Moab too, pounded the bageebies out of it and didn't flat once. Good point you don't want to lean this badboy on a loose-on-hard surface. As tough as Moab is on tires it didn't wear much at all during that trip.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Team Sanchez
    Hey FM, Team Sanchez will be in Moab from April 20th-23rd? What dates will your group be there? We should hook up for a blast down Porc rim.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey FM, Team Sanchez will be in Moab from April 20th-23rd? What dates will your group be there? We should hook up for a blast down Porc rim.
    Same Dates! That's what I expected.

I'll PM you contact info etc.

We may have a huge crew- It would be great to hook up, but if it turns into a logistical nightmare then feel free to blow us off. AT least beers if nothing else.

We are planning on doing LPS/porc (maybe UPS too) and jacksons...

We're also hitting fruita, I'll be riding my XC bike so not too much hucking. I'l hit the dinner tables at least.

Just roll it......
    I think it comes down to personal preferences. As FM stated, we have many buddies that ride these tires in the UST version and love them. I have a set of non-UST Sturdies (which are thinner in the casing, mind you) that I put on my XC bike. I really liked the big tire volume (the 2.25 is more like a 2.4) and they work well with traction in the loam and roots and the tread wears well, but I also found that the square edge knobs are too unpredictable and squirrely for me when ripping through loose corners.

In order to combat that, I've run low tire pressure to get them to bite better while cornering, but as a result I've ripped two of the sidewalls when I either jumped my bike or folded the tire over in the corners. Again, I've got the thinner cased, non-ust version so that likely is a non-issue with the UST. I know FM can run super low tire pressures on his UST versions.

I think ultimately, the preference thing comes into play and I'm a bigger fan of the rounded profile tire since they seem to be more predictable as to when they'll release during a hard corner. I'd like to have a good sense for the release point of a tire so I know how/when I can push it or when I need to back off and I couldn't gauge that very well with the Sturdies I was running. I'm now running the Trailbear 2.5 on the front which is also a big volume XC tire (slightly bigger than the Sturdy). It seems to do well in the loose stuff and is more predictable, but it's a harder durometer (~60) so it works better in the drier conditions.

I just picked up a couple of sets of Kenda Kinetic 2.6's (more like a 2.4 actually) with stick-e rubber off the specials section of the Kenda website that I really like a lot. Good volume, decent sized and spaced lugs, rounded profile, moderate weight (950g) and sticky rubber are making it a pretty versatile tire and at $15 per tire a great deal to boot.

Cheers,
    EBX

Team Sanchez
    Looking forward to it FM. Crash the Dog was in Moab last weekend, and he said upper porc was snowed in, and the top part of lower porc had 6 inches of snow on it. Let's hope for some dry whether for the next 3 weeks! I'll pm as the date grows closer.