mtbr member

Quick crankset check...('06 RFX w/ HL Spot rear)

I'm about ready to hit the buy button on an XT M770 crankset and just wanted to get the blessing quickly..I haven't been hitting the new gear scene in awhile..is there something else I should be looking at? I've got the bike setup around 32 pounds, light-ish all mtn.

Outcast
    XT is just fine. the aggro dh cranks are overkill for your application

mtbr member
    The other crankset I would consider is the SLX. It's a bit cheaper than XT, a few grams heavier but it has the advantage of steel pedal inserts.

On the RFX I switch often between SPD and platform pedals and I ended up crossthreading the Al threads in the XT cranks. I replaced them with the 36/22t SLX coupled with the SLX 2-chainring front derailleur and have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I'm seeing truvativ has a ton of cranks out there..that carbon one is pretty sexed up. want. I'm running an XTR crank now but the smallest front ring I can use is a 24 and it's a little brootlz for epic climbs haulin 32 pounds up the mountain. I've manned up and used it for 3 seasons now, but this year I'd like to be able to spin rather than mash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For what it's worth I bought a three chainring SLX for $120 brand new on ebay - doesn't have the steel inserts but came in lighter than XT when I took off the big ring

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    The other crankset I would consider is the SLX. It's a bit cheaper than XT, a few grams heavier but it has the advantage of steel pedal inserts.

On the RFX I switch often between SPD and platform pedals and I ended up crossthreading the Al threads in the XT cranks. I replaced them with the 36/22t SLX coupled with the SLX 2-chainring front derailleur and have been very happy with it.
    I agree 100% the steel pedal insert on the slx is key and the slx's are noticably stiffer than the xt. Thumbs up on the slx