mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question for Bikezilla???

BZ,

I noticed on a pic of your 5spot that you had an xtr caliper and an 8inch rotor hooked up to your Bomber. Where did you get the adapter? I think I bought the wrong one.

Thanks in advance

Lay off the Levers

"Geee Arrrr Ceeee"

Quote Originally Posted by tahoskier
    BZ,

I noticed on a pic of your 5spot that you had an xtr caliper and an 8inch rotor hooked up to your Bomber. Where did you get the adapter? I think I bought the wrong one.
    Gravity Racing Components is the mfgr.
    http://www.grcomponents.com/home.htm

The gent who runs this outfit is a die-hard DH racer, supports his products and the sport with a zeal to be admired. The adaptor was ~$35 bucks and he spent something like a half hour on his cell phone discussing all fine points in setting it up. Actually it wasn't really all that complicated once I sat down to do it. I recall that he expects to have a one piece (no spacer) bomber setup by mid summer. He also does a variety of custom brake levers for better performance and hand position.

Because I have the QR20, I pretty much had to go w/ the 8" rotor. Even Shimano advised me that the XTR was tricky to set up that way. The S-Tech liked GRC products so much he offered to trade me on of his S adaptors for the GRC one. (no deal ). In the end it still drags a tiny bit. Probaby due to slight varience in the spacers I filed, or a compression dimple on one point of the adaptor face (overtightening?). Annnyway it works great for me. You can't go wrong, especially for that price.

Cheers!
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can I bother you for a closeup pic?

Thanks

Lay off the Levers

Oh alllllllrrrriiiiggght....

Quote Originally Posted by tahoskier
    Can I bother you for a closeup pic?
    j/k

I just so happen to have a few on file, being a non-wrench and all I shot it as configured by my LBS to duplicate when I warrantied the draggy early XTR calipers. I then was able to reassemble it with some confidence.

Note: One pic#2 you can just barely see one of the silver (aluminium) cylindrical spacers that go between the brake boss and the adaptor...seems kludgy but it's actually very reliable. Like I said before, the new model should have the spacer lugs built in. I had to file the spacer lugs down a few milimeters to get it alligned to the rotor. I then used an odd number of shimano shims to fine tune it. (two on top one on the bottom...or something like that) be advised that every fork, every adaptor and every caliper will be slightly different, even if they are the same exact model numbers so expect some fine tuning.

If you have any questions just ask.

Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!