... I guess you won't be

PUSH RP3 w/ DHX-A air canister - WOW!

I used my Pushed shock for the first time for a 12 hr mtb race, in crappy muddy conditions, but for the first lap, when it was actually somewhat rideable, I absolutely could not get over how incredibly plush the shock made the bike feel......rock piles, tree roots, stumps, just disappeared! And landing from getting some air, is like jumping feetfirst onto a stack of feather pillows! If you like how your stock RP3 feels, you'll be blown away if you get it hopped-up. It's one of those "I doubt it won't be that much better - how could it be that much better?..." situations where one is proved to be very suprised. I'm suprised.

The work Darren and his crew perform on those shocks is magical....worth every cent!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    May 2004

Agree

Just had my RP3 PUSHed by TF Tuned Shox in the UK. Its like having a completely different shock.

Do It Yourself
    I'm curious on the larger air can. How much do you weigh and which rockers do you have?

I have the 5.1 rockers and was wondering if the larger can would be an cheaper alternative to the 5.3 rockers. I was interested in the PUSH rockers but with the latest news (5.7" etc), I don't think they are right for me. I'm not really interested in any geometry changes. I need to send my RP3 to PUSH soon though. The damping and ProPedal is pretty much shot.
    Long Live Long Rides

... I guess you won't be
    I weigh about 190, w/out any gear, and I'm running the origional Spot 5.1 rockers. When I talked to Darren at Push, I told him I was running the first generation spot rockers, he said he could either put a new RP3 air sleeve on [mine was cracked after 4 rides!], or he could put a DHX-A can on it, for a higher volume air shock - the platform valving effect is the same for either can - the spring curve is the only thing that changes.....he said it would really make the shock feel like a coil shock, without the ramp up in spring rate that the stock RP3 sleeve provides. He was pretty exited about how nice it works out using the big air sleeve - kinda like a bare bones DHX-A, but without the fussy bits...

I figured, what the heck! Might as well. I always liked how my Romic rode, but with the FrankenRP3, there is really no adequate comparison - night and day difference - the shock feels essentially bottomless, but very well controlled, you can feel the shock absorbing the hit, but you don't actually feel the impact - its wonderful.

But, he does charge 50 bux for the dhA sleeve......If ya gotta open the hood, might as well go for it....

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    How easy is it to swap out the stock RP3 air canister for the DHX canister? Is it fairly simple, or is it best sent in?

jzm
    mtbr member
    Hello, I just did the canister switch from the stock RP3 to the DHX can. It's a fairly simple procedure. Just follow the air sleeve maintenance procedure in the fox rear shock manual. I downloaded it from their site and did the switch in less than 15 minutes.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Cool. Are any special tools needed for doing this? I never had to mess with air shocks before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The UK fox importer denies that this is possible, what's that all about??

jzm
    mtbr member
    No special tools required.
    1. Deflate shock, cycle rear suspension a few times, deflate shock again.
    2. Remove shock from bike. Insert a screwdriver through the shocks top bolt eyelet and use that for leverage when you unscrew the can (counter clockwise)
    3. Once the can is completely unthreaded it may take some force to completely separate it from the rest of the shock body. Just pull on the can and it should come off.
    4. Lightly grease the seals on the shock shaft before installing the DHX can.
    5. Once the DHX can is inserted, you'll have to re-attach the shock on the bike. You won't be able to compress the shock by hand to mate the threads of the can and the shock body. You will need the leverage of the bike's rockers/links to overcome the negative pressure as the shock is compressed
    6. Cycle suspension until you can thread the can. Hand tighten only.
    7. Inflate to proper PSI and go out for a ride.

Bodhisattva
    Joker,
    All PUSH paparazzi are welcome. Glad you're finally on the bandwagon
    Life....the original terminal illness

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jzm
    No special tools required.
    1. Deflate shock, cycle rear suspension a few times, deflate shock again.
    2. Remove shock from bike. Insert a screwdriver through the shocks top bolt eyelet and use that for leverage when you unscrew the can (counter clockwise)
    3. Once the can is completely unthreaded it may take some force to completely separate it from the rest of the shock body. Just pull on the can and it should come off.
    4. Lightly grease the seals on the shock shaft before installing the DHX can.
    5. Once the DHX can is inserted, you'll have to re-attach the shock on the bike. You won't be able to compress the shock by hand to mate the threads of the can and the shock body. You will need the leverage of the bike's rockers/links to overcome the negative pressure as the shock is compressed
    6. Cycle suspension until you can thread the can. Hand tighten only.
    7. Inflate to proper PSI and go out for a ride.
    Thanks for the steps. Looks prety simple. I wish I had known about this last year. I would have had it done when PUSH had it.

Does anyone know this? If later one goes to PUSH's 5.7 rocker, will one then have to go back to the original RP3 can?

... I guess you won't be
    thanks Squeak! I really can't adequately describe how pleased I am with the shock.

Robbz - I can send him a picture......? Won't he feel silly later...you should bet him two cases of beer first, before showing him the truth....

Lay off the Levers
    Are the cans only available through Fox? what's the delivery time?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Are the cans only available through Fox? what's the delivery time?
    ...I ordered mine direct & received it within a week.

konastab805
    Aug 2005
    Can i get an rp3 for my six pack? Im thinking instead of getting a dhx air ( dont like them) I could keep my dhx coil for DH shuttling, Mammoth, N*, and whistler, and get a rp3 (to save weight) For local climbing accesed trails? Would there be one avalible in a 7.5 x 2.5(i think thats the size, dont quote me on that)?

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKONARIDER805
    Can i get an rp3 for my six pack?
    Yes, it's the same E2E as the Spot. Some in here have tried the RP3 on the Pack with mixed results. Depending on your weight, the Packs high leverage will definitely test the stoutness of the RP3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How much are the DHX air cans in the US? They're 94GBP inc. shipping in the UK, that seems a bit expensive.

... I guess you won't be
    they are 50 bux in the states, which makes your 94 GBP can cheaper than what I can buy it for - you bastard!

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    they are 50 bux in the states, which makes your 94 GBP can cheaper than what I can buy it for - you bastard!

94 GBP is about $175 USD. OUCH!!!
    Long Live Long Rides

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    94 GBP is about $175 USD. OUCH!!!
    Doh. Better to coordinate with a Yankee homer and have them send you one. Or try maybe Larry at Mountain High.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    tell me about it, reckon I need someone in the US to mail me one over.