Bite Me.

To PUSH or not to PUSH?

That is the question. I've upgraded the shock on my Burner to an RP3 and added the XR rockers for 4" in back. The change has been dramatically better compared to the stock rockers and the Manitou 3-Way. However I hear such raves about the PUSH treatment that I'm wondering if I'm missing out on another level of performance. Currently I have no complaints at all about the ride - in fact I love it. I'm getting full travel out of the RP3, running the O ring to the bottom of the shaft on each ride, but seldom pushing it all the way off. With the amount of variability possible with this shock by adjusting air pressure and the 3 PP settings, I don't feel like I'm lacking for quality suspension, but you know how UGI is...

Is PUSH more for bigger hit riding than I do? I'm about 180lbs in gear, ride predominantly buff, twisty Colorado singletrack, but I also enjoy the ledgy tech stuff in Moab and Fruita. I'm not doing much air travel, but have been pushing that envelope a bit lately due to the bike egging me on to test its limits (maybe a 2 foot ledge launch here and there max). Does it make sense to drop the extra coin on this set up, or should I remain blissfully ignorant?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Bodhisattva
    I'm vocally biased but that's based on over 2 years riding various PUSH rear shocks and forks.

My first PUSH'd product was for my 3.85" Hammerhead and it completely transformed the ride. I've since ridden a variety of other PUSH'd modified products including RP3, DHX, Pike, 36, among others.

There is no downside.
    Both rebound & compression damping are greatly improved leading to increased traction and a more controlled ride. I won't bother getting into all the stuff that go into their work as you can do a search, check out their website or, even better, call Darren and speak with da man yourself.

It doesn't matter what bike or style you ride. It's all good.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    There is no downside. It doesn't matter what bike or style you ride. It's all good.
    I second that!

As Paul Thede, Race Tech's founder and chief engineer, likes to say, "The best you've ridden is the best you know". Get your RP3 PUSH'd and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    push it..

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bobflyer
    push it..
    I also strongly agree - I recently received my new 06 pushed rp3.... dang its pretty sweet

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Push it. I just had my RP3 push'd . I like it so much I am now getting my TALAS Push'd

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I got nothing to add to this thread other than:

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hey acadian. is that a AVA? got one of those commin on my frankenframe for the 5" option and a DHXC for the 6" version. bet that push treatment changes things huh? never heard much about the AVA, good, bad or indifferent so when DT offered it up to me i just kinda went with it. what are yer impressions of it before and after?

hope ya dont mind me buttin in cutthroat.
    No, I'm NOT back!

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    Darren talked me out of Pushing my AVA. He said they'd rather work on my Float RC. That was for a Salt though. I use the AVA as a spare now.
    As to Push or not to Push, I say Push it!
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hey acadian. is that a AVA? got one of those commin on my frankenframe for the 5" option and a DHXC for the 6" version. bet that push treatment changes things huh? never heard much about the AVA, good, bad or indifferent so when DT offered it up to me i just kinda went with it. what are yer impressions of it before and after?

hope ya dont mind me buttin in cutthroat.
    I've said this in other threads before.

When I first got my Spot, I rode it with its stock AVA - which was okay.

I then bought an RP3, which was a definite upgrade over the AVA...overall much better damping characteristics.

while I put time on the RP3 - I sent my AVA to get PUSHED. Hard to believe but IMHO the PUSHED AVA was better than the stock RP3!!!

Right now I'm on a Pushed RP3 and it blows all of them out of the water

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Noise

I had the Vanilla on my XCE Pushed a few years ago, and loved the performance, but it sure made a lot more hydraulic noise than the stock version did.

Had my TALAS Pushed, and noticed the same thing.

Am I crazy? OK, ignore than one.

Anybody else notice this? Call me petty, but I really like the quiet operation of my stock RP3, which has made me reluctant to have it Pushed, so far.

Opinions, any and all, requested and appreciated!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    I had the Vanilla on my XCE Pushed a few years ago, and loved the performance, but it sure made a lot more hydraulic noise than the stock version did.

Had my TALAS Pushed, and noticed the same thing.

Am I crazy? OK, ignore than one.

Anybody else notice this? Call me petty, but I really like the quiet operation of my stock RP3, which has made me reluctant to have it Pushed, so far.

Opinions, any and all, requested and appreciated!
    I agree that the forks may make more noise then stock, but I kind of like the noise. I just got my RP3 pushed and so far detect no noise. I will test it this weekend, and really look forward to seeing what differences in performance I feel.

Bodhisattva
    The noise is due to increased fluid flow.

It's like the buzz on Chris King Hubs....the sound of quality.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Rolling
    It's like the buzz on Chris King Hubs....the sound of quality.
    LOL on this. Reminds me of the jetnoise/ freedom sticker.

The noise is due to increased fluid flow.
    I thought damping was about decreasing fluid flow. Now I wonder how it even works! You sure the noise isn't eddy's and turbulence?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I second that!

As Paul Thede, Race Tech's founder and chief engineer, likes to say, "The best you've ridden is the best you know". Get your RP3 PUSH'd and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    Second too, Push it. I had my 5-spot pushed (back and rear) and it is a different bike. The Pushed shocks hide most of the problems of my 5-spot very well. PUSH deserves all the prise it can get because it is the real thing ...
    Last edited by Davide; 10-15-2005 at 09:29 PM.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Darren explains it in this thread:
    Will a PUSHED rp3 heat up as bad?
    One of the things it does on the trail is keep the fork from packing up. WHich is good if you like to run your rebound on the slower side like me.

Speaking of which, if there was anything I could change about my Push fork tuning , it would be to add a couple more clicks of slow /medium rebound. I'm never over on the fast side of the dial. I wonder if that can be customized at some point, or if that type of rebound range is built into the piston.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    PUSH are great. Pity in the UK you don't get the blue o-ring........

But I haven't let that worry me too much.
    Anyone got a blue o-ring for me??

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I'm in the US and they didn't give me a blue one either. Does Larry have any of these? I've worn my black one out now.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

Formerly known as...

Pushed RP3

To Anybody out there with a Push-ed Rp3:
    Does the Push-ed RP3 still retain some sort of Pro-pedal-like adjustment? That is, does the little blue lever do anything after the Push treatment?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperlightKeith
    That is, does the little blue lever do anything after the Push treatment?
    yes...but once Pushed, the Full Pro-Pedal will feel plusher than pre-Pushed.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Oh Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    yes...but once Pushed, the Full Pro-Pedal will feel plusher than pre-Pushed.
    Excellent, thanx. I'd also wondered if the adjuster still worked once Pushed. If it feels plushed in max PPedal then I'm mighty tempted, although my RP3 is still under std warranty at the mo. Will prob'ly get it modified in the new year.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]