mtbr member
    Jan 2004

To purge or not to purge grease?

So my 2011 Sultan developed quite a bit of creaking. Upon dissasembly I found a few dry bushings. I called Turner today and talked greasing technique. I have always injected grease until I felt resistance (flow stoppage) My last Turner (RFX) would take half a pump halfway through a season. Anyways, I was told to purge the grease and when the seal moved out of place to simply push it back. I was also asked where I heard not to purge? The question caught me off gaurd because I thought purging was a no no. So I went on Turners website for the DW torque spec's and came accross these statments in 2 different areas :

1) When Lubing use a bent tip needle grease gun and inject just enough grease to pressurize the system.
    DO NOT Purge The System, EVER.
    2)Place the grease gun1⁄2s head squarely over the zerk
    (Figure Q) and pump grease in to the pivot ONLY UNTIL RESISTANCE IS FELT. It is
    not necessary to purge grease through the pivot until it emerges at the o-rings,
    but rather only to fill the void inside the pivot shell. Over-pressurizing the pivot
    with grease will only force the zerk out.

Thoughts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's odd. I've always thought the correct technique was as described on the website. Must be a new guy at Turner that hasn't read the manual yet perhaps?

My cup runneth over
    They also have to be aware of the different zerks they have on the bikes. On my 2004 Burner the zerks were press in and pushing too much new grease in would potentially pop the zerk. On my 2010 Spot and Flux the zerks are screw in and really unlikely to pop from too much grease. For the pop in I went with the stop when you feel pressure approach and with the screw-ins I tend to enter grease until I see a very slight purge happening. Turner probably needs to update their instructions to accommodate the different types of zerk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is what always confuses me. On my '10 Spot which has a screw in zerk, When I try to pump in lube, I don't seem to feel too much of a resistance in the grease gun, but when I take out the grease gun from the zerk fitting, a lot of grease just shoots out of the gun.

I'm not sure if either:

- the pivot is full of grease that's why it's not coming in
    - or the grease is just not coming in at all

~~~~~~~~
    sounds like you need to free up the little ball inside the zerk. Give it a poke and see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    This is what always confuses me. On my '10 Spot which has a screw in zerk, When I try to pump in lube, I don't seem to feel too much of a resistance in the grease gun, but when I take out the grease gun from the zerk fitting, a lot of grease just shoots out of the gun.

I'm not sure if either:

- the pivot is full of grease that's why it's not coming in
    - or the grease is just not coming in at all

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It could also be a small air bubble in the gun. Due to the pressure build up, the air compresses and when disengaging the pressure releases and pushes out the grease. When you have once had this problem you immediately notice, as the resistance is too low then. But when you never experienced this you probably also don't notice the difference. That is still one of the reasons I want to see some grease coming out (even with my press-fit zerks; I never had one popping off).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A co-worker was scoping out my Turners bushing / greasing arrangement (we are fleet mechanics) and noted the grease is pressuring a closed / sealed space and if there is an air space or build up in pressure nothing is going in.

Dont Rep me
    Looks like Turner cleared up the issue on the web site.
    All Turner models before 2009 had pressed in zerk fittings which may dislodge and shoot out if there is too much pressure in the system.
    All dw-link models have threaded zerk fittings which can handle the extra pressure required to purge the system once in a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    sounds like you need to free up the little ball inside the zerk. Give it a poke and see if that makes a difference.

I can't believe it was a simple as that. Thanks for the advice. The pivots are now taking in grease.