mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Pros/cons of Sultan with3x10 Shimano XT vs the 2x10 option?

What would you get and why? I've never ridden a 2x10 except at the dealers parking lot. Can't extrapolate out to the real world with that experience. I can guess the 3x10 allows you to go faster but is there an advantage with hill climbing to either one? I want two just so I can get the extra ground clearance and put on a guard to protect the chainrail but not at the expense of a overall much overall handling bike.

climber
    Dec 2008
    I chose 3x10 for my new Sultan based on the location of my favorite local trail. I ride 10 miles on a bike path to get to the trail head. Once I get there, I have 3-4 very steep climbs on my 12 mile loop around a lake that I would rather ride vs. walking. I love slow tech climbing on my Sultan! It is most helpful to have a light wheel set-up too, especially for a 29er. Finally, I have great ground clearance, at least where I ride - I never have pedal strikes with my new bike.

DFMBA.org
    Not Sultan related but....
    If you have a 36/22 2X10 you keep granny for the really steep stuff. I went from 3x9 to 2X10 (38/24) and ride rocky and sometimes steep AZ desert. Ill never deliberately go back to 3x9 because I don't miss the big ring, even on asphault. The shifting is a bit simplified but each gear change is more pronounced. Its also made me a stronger rider as I try to hang out in the 38 as much as possible.

I also like the look of the 2X10.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I run 3*9. With 2* I wouldn't miss the big ring, but I would miss my granny...and I'd want to make sure that the big ring wasn't too big. Have a think about what gears/front ring you spend most time in.

OR

You could just buy XX1 or XO1, it looks SO good on Turners!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Since i was pushing 10% taller gears on my sultan due to the wheel size and bit more weight due to the bulk of a 29er platform i chose a 22/30 double b/c the granny was easier to spin up/stay on top of on longer sustained or short pitched climbs. The 30t is great for rolling or rising terrain but the lack of a big ring meant that id spin out pretty easily. If you were to go triple id suggest running 20/30/40. This will require using a 94/58 bcd crankset or expensive (anderson machining) chainrings on your 106/74 crankset. Your Experience Will Vary

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It really depends on your trails and personal preferences. I ride in SoCal with steep climbs on every ride. I've tried several 2x10 gear ratios on my Sultan: 42/28, 39/26, and 38/24. I also did a ~20 mile test ride on a Sultan with 3x10. All had a 36 tooth cassette. The 3x10 with a 22 tooth granny made it so you could creep up any hill but there were a lot of gears I didn't use. The 42/28 was too big for my trails. The 39/26 was good but I still wanted a bit more climbing gear and a bash guard to help with dropped chains. The SRAM X9 38/24/bash combo is perfect for my riding. A 36/22 set up would be too low for me. I prefer the 2x10, it has all the range of active gears I need and I'm not shifting as much in the front.

mtbr member
    36 t is as big as you should go for 29, spend more time in the drive gear, less downshifts, faster(non xc race course gear, use to stay fast where there is steeps and rocks) 38 is too big for 29. unless you just rip the desert classic all day.

mtbr member
    all those combos were for 26ers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    38T is perfect for my riding, I wouldn't trade it for a smaller gear. Gearing is very dependent on rider and trails, kind of silly to make sweeping generalizations...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=freebiker;10823062]36 t is as big as you should go for 29, spend more time in the drive gear, less downshifts, faster(non xc race course gear, use to stay fast where there is steeps and rocks) 38 is too big for 29. unless you just rip the desert classic all day.[/QUOTE
    I run a 20,30;36 chainring set up. This gives you plenty of low& high gearing with a 11-36 rear cassette. Most of the time is spent in the middle ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have 26/38 XTR crankset up front and 11-36 cassette....it works well for me and my riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    36/22 covers a lot of ground with the Sultan, and Shimano's SLX with the built-in chainguard is a bit of a no-brainer, if a bit heavy. I like this gearing on my Big Squishy Bike, and 38/24 on the Czar, to make sure I don't get too lazy while training.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I rode a 32/22 with bash ring on my Sultan for 4 years. Probably more than 1000 hours in all kinds of terrain (Pac NW, CO, AZ, UT, SD, Scotland . . .) and not once did I ever miss the big ring. But there were 100's of times that I was happy that I had the bash bolted in place of the big ring.

My suggestion is to buy a triple, eBay the big ring, bolt on a bash ring and ride. The "true" 2x10 cranks don't permit mounting of a bash ring and most of the configurations are geared too high imho.

Also, you don't need a dedicated 2x front der. I had flawless front shifting for 4 years with a 3x front der and older non-switchable 3x shifters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I rode a 32/22 with bash ring on my Sultan for 4 years. Probably more than 1000 hours in all kinds of terrain (Pac NW, CO, AZ, UT, SD, Scotland . . .) and not once did I ever miss the big ring. But there were 100's of times that I was happy that I had the bash bolted in place of the big ring.

My suggestion is to buy a triple, eBay the big ring, bolt on a bash ring and ride. The "true" 2x10 cranks don't permit mounting of a bash ring and most of the configurations are geared too high imho.

Also, you don't need a dedicated 2x front der. I had flawless front shifting for 4 years with a 3x front der and older non-switchable 3x shifters.
    That's a very promising idea. I'll have to test that I can live with the gear range minus the big ring. A buddy of mine did this very exact same thing on a different bike. I blow him away on down hills but I can live without 'racing' downhill if I can get a guard in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you're not sure which way to go, 3x is the most flexible. Keep the big ring and you can always put it back on (might need a longer chain though).

The other decision you may need to face is the bolt pattern. The new Shimano M782 cranks are shipping (and similar models in SLX) that use a 96mm pattern, which enables a 30T middle ring.

I recently moved over to a 22/30 setup on my "burly" bike. I really, really like the 30T ring. On a 29er I find the 30T to be a great general ring on rolling terrain. The modest increase on the low side (versus 32T) provides a noticeably better range for shorter hills. All of this at the expense of high gears, of course.

My dream setup is 22/30/38 with a bash, but I haven't figured out how to run a bash on a triple.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post

This is exactly what I did when I converted to 2x10 last year. With the 11-36 cassette, I spend 90+ percent of the time in the 32T chainring. But there are those times when I'm very happy to have the 22T ring. I don't spin out the 32x11 very often in the dirt and I have the extra benefit of a little extra clearance for the slightly smaller chainring.

With the Czar, I found an X.0 24-38-bash crank that I'm really happy with. The interesting part is that the Czar is such a great climber I don't go into the small ring any more often than the Sultan, even with the taller gearing.