Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Proposed Highline Build - Thoughts?

So my frame is on the way, and started a build list. Input would be greatly appreciated. My current calculations have this a pound or two over 35. FYI, this will be my "trail+++" bike; which I'd also like to take to my local bike parks [for moderate abuse] in northern California (Tahoe). Thus the slant towards lighter components; but still strong.

Frame: '08 Highline (M)
    Shock: DHX 5.0
    Fork: Totem Solo Air
    Rims: DT 5.1
    Hubs: I9 Enduro
    Tires: Nevegal 2.35
    Crankset: Gravity Lite
    Chain Guide: e.13 DRS
    FD/RD: X9
    Bars: Gravity Lite
    Stem: Thomson X4 (1.5 x 31.8)
    Headset: CK No Thread
    Brakeset: Juicy Five (160 mm rotors)
    Saddle: Fizik Zeak
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite

P.S. Sorry; forgot my manners - hello, my name is Kevin, live in Fairfax, CA and am converting from a decade on Cannondales. Plan to swap out my Judge for a DHR next season!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Hi kevin- I saw a lot of pinch flats on my Highline with the Nevegals. They have been my favorate tire on my RFX, but are not ideal with the Highline. Much more bike then tire IMO. I'd look for something that splits the diff between a dual ply and the Neve.

lurker no more
    I'm no bike wizard, but I'd say get yourself some bigger brakes. At least 185mm rotors, especially if you're a bigger guy. I can't imagine them adding that much more weight.

What's your weight?

Lay off the Levers
    Def consider some other brakes... Formula T1s will stop a freight train and don't weigh much more than XC brakes.

Tires: Maxxis Ardents I've been running them on my HL and am very impressed.
    Chain Guide. E13 kicks arse. Black Spire Stinger does too, for much less.
    Gravity Light crankset. I have it and like it. Easy to work with and look good.
    Stem: I just bought the X4 stem. Seems good enough, but sorta wimpy compared to the Deity which ain't that heavy considering it's monster size.
    I've got the CK headset. No complaints.
    Sram shifters and Ders...very reliable and tuneable, and keep their set.

Shock: DHX it's a fine placeholder till your Avalanche arrives.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Trophy Husband
    Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be running an 8" rotor on the front (6 is ok on back) unless you'll only be riding this bike on the road.

The rest of the build is pretty damned good. I predict good times lay ahead.
    Extreme stationary biker.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Bigger rotors and maybe bigger tyres.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    You got like the escalante with low-profile tires build
    Or maybe it's track pants and dress shoes?

Don't mean to come off as a downer, but those wheels& tires are 5-spot league, way too light for a 7"+ bike (unless it will only see XC riding, which ain't right). Likewise a 160mm front rotor on a highline just ain't gonna work. Go straight to 203mm, not even much of a weight gain.

If you want to keep it light for trail riding, maybe pick up and air shock and two sets of (possibly cheaper) wheels; a mid weight set i.e. 5.1's and 2.35 tires for trail riding, and maybe some azonic outlaws with 2.5 DH tires or similar for park use.

There's sensibly light, but going as light as you're proposing will just cripple the bike and cost you money as you explore the frames potential.

more comments below.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Frame: '08 Highline (M)
    Shock: DHX 5.0 (rp23 for trail riding, coil for FR/DH. as 'zilla says, avy's are worth the $$)
    Fork: Totem Solo Air
    Rims: DT 5.1 (I think the static weight of the frame might taco these!)
    Hubs: I9 Enduro (i'd pass, save money here to put towards 2nd shock and wheel options)
    Tires: Nevegal 2.35 (for trail riding only. You'll want DH 2.5's for anything tech/ DH)
    Crankset: Gravity Lite
    Chain Guide: e.13 DRS (Great area to save weight; blackspire stinger!)
    FD/RD: X9
    Bars: Gravity Lite
    Stem: Thomson X4 (1.5 x 31.8)
    Headset: CK No Thread
    Brakeset: Juicy Five (160 mm rotors) (203 front at least, or both ends. 160's don't belong on 7" bikes!)
    Saddle: Fizik Zeak
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite

Pedals & chain?

By the way, I don't want to start a I-9 hater threadjack here, as their wheels do look sweet. But: I was in downieville a few weeks ago and had a good laugh at one of the shops, a dude was there on vacation with some blingy I-9 wheels. First ride he caught a stick in the spokes and tore 3 out. The shop guys weren't stoked to work on the wheels at all, and regardless it was going to take at least 5 days for spokes to arrive. No thanks!

trail fairy
    Like what BZ and FM have to say, 2nder..

If I was buiding one I'd be going with there recs and the others, they just stated all the main ones for me!, FMs got lots of experience with the different options as well!

I am a huge Thomson fan but I wouldn't run one on an FR bike or DH just me, I also have some Deity stuff and the stiffness and sheer brutal control it gives you is impressive!, If ya don't like them then look at the new Cromag or Burgtec stuff looks light but bootylicous, its all about size, or so I'm told

Bars GLs go wide 800, wicked really are, I only get to hold mine but ohh feels good..

I run the DT 5.1s sometimes on my RFX but still find em a bit light for nar, no way would I have em on an HL even if I was a light guy, FLY
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    well you guys have this 1 covered. listen to em kg. theys no dummies. oh.... and congrats!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Just FYI, I don't think the Totem will take anything less than a 200mm rotor.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Don't mean to come off as a downer, but those wheels& tires are 5-spot league, way too light for a 7"+ bike (unless it will only see XC riding, which ain't right).
    This is going to be a heavy trailbike according to the OP with occasional trips to the resort for "moderate abuse".

The DT 5.1 can handle moderate abuse. The IH Sunday Elite comes stock with them (not that I would recommend that application). No, they are not a freeride rim, but can handle quite a bit of abuse. Not bad advice to have a cheap back up (Azonic Outlaws) for resort use, though.
    Extreme stationary biker.

... I guess you won't be
    I'd be looking into some 5" rotors to lighten it up a bit. Hayes, and I believe Avid, both make 5" dia. rotors....that would certainly trail-bike it up nice [and make your bike look pseudo-29'er ish].
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    are you happy with the zeak? personally i have a more xc saddle as my highline is my all day every day bike. but horses for courses.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments so far!

I'm fairly thin; weigh about 170 and am 5'10"; thus the smaller rotors for this bike should hopefully be fine. I ran a similar set up on my Prophet and put that through some serious abuse (including park DH) with no braking problems. My DH bike has Codes with 8" rotors, so I do realize the difference. But point taken. Maybe I'll run 7" rotors instead?

Tires, I already have a set of the 2.35 Nevegals in my garage so I may just give 'em a go; but point taken. Maybe an ideal set up would be a 2.5 in the front and 2.35 in the rear.

Never tried the Zeak - just scoping it for now. Maybe a more XC saddle would be better.

Deity - love their stuff; had the 31.8 stem and bars (last year's version) on my Prophet, as well as DH/FR saddle. Maybe I'll swap in their lighter '08 stem/bar combo.

What would y'all propose as a good light replacement for the I9s? Or what about the DH/FR hubs laced to DT 6.1s?

Pedals, I left these off since it seems like a very personal choice. Am currently a big fan of Funn Viper Soljam flats.

Chain, was thinking the SRAM PC-971 since apparently it fits well with the X9 equipment.

You boys rock. Since I have a wedding coming up, this build will happen slower than I'd like. Another question, in case I scope out used Totems, what are your steer tubes cut at?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Maybe I'll run 7" rotors instead?
    Another question, in case I scope out used Totems, what are your steer tubes cut at?
    It's been stated already but here it is from the SRAM website regarding the Totem:
    Lowers Magnesium, Maxle 360 20mm axle, post mount disc (203mm min rotor)
    I need 8.25" of steerer with my fork on a L Highline with Pig headset, Deity stem (Churr ) and a 5mm spacer on top.

mtbr member
    Thanks; am upping to 203s.

P.S. Am also wondering about the new 2009 Saint line (for crankset and derailleurs); haven't seen weights yet though.

~~~~~~~~
    Thanks; am upping to 203s.

P.S. Am also wondering about the new 2009 Saint line (for crankset and derailleurs); haven't seen weights yet though.
    nsmb.com has the weights and good article.

I think you'd need to run heavier/bigger tires with the 5.1's or risk damaging the rims. 6.1's are heavy.

to get around 35 you'd need to run a air shock and single plys, want to buy my dhx air?

mtbr member
    Nice build idea, mine is very similar and I've taken every measure to keep it reasonably light while still very strong (38lbs).

With wheels, I'd reccomend running the DT 6.1FRs. True, they are about 120 grams heavier than the 5.1, but are really much better suited to freeriding and heavy trail riding and will feel as rock solid as your Highline should. I have the DT6.1s on King hubs on my Highline and love them. If you weigh out the build (32 spoke plenty), they are not much over 2,000 grams, not bad at all for a strong wheelset. I have the same reservations with the I9 wheels, they sure seem great, but might be a real B to fix/get fixed if something gets screwy, Kings are very simple and easy and the spokes are standard.

Funny with the wedding situation, I have one coming up in October and am taking the opposite approach... spending every penny now on my Highline, fearing the spending will come to a screeching halt after marriage!

mtbr member
    As already said, bigger tires and bigger rotors. At present I'm 175lbs and my M4's with 8" rotors are just what the doctor ordered. Wouldn't think of going smaller, a heavy bike and heavy wheels need some good 1-2 finger grabbers to slow it down. I actually downgraded from hope 8" moto's with the vented rotors because they were way too strong for me, 1 finger braking! My kid will use them on his bike, but he's 235lbs.

mtbr member
    How much lighter would switching to a DHX Air be?

NoShirt> That's the spirit; I guess spending so much on the wedding itself makes me feel guilty for pouring simultaneously into the Highline fund - although a "bike build registry" would be great!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    chur

no reason to go 203 on both ends. matter of fact, id say at yer weight and intent, a 203 will lock up constantly in back. consider a 203/180 combo if ya think a 160 is too small which it may not be. with that said, sparrow has been toutin the use of tiny 5" rotors in back, even on his tandom, and he did that long before he lost 40 lbs over the winter. joker may be right. think on it.

at 5'9"/165 lbs just outta the shower, i run 2.35 minion dhf's on 5.1's laced to 340's via supercomps on my xc-ish rfx and they work sweet for anything but sharp rocks and dh runs. keeps things light and fun. for the bigger days i run 2.5 nev/bg's and sometime bust out the old 521 wheelset. the 2 set idea is a sound one.
    No, I'm NOT back!

about a full pound. do it! aw is almost outta beer money.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Thanks for the comments so far!

I'm fairly thin; weigh about 170 and am 5'10"; thus the smaller rotors for this bike should hopefully be fine. I ran a similar set up on my Prophet and put that through some serious abuse (including park DH) with no braking problems. My DH bike has Codes with 8" rotors, so I do realize the difference. But point taken. Maybe I'll run 7" rotors instead?

Tires, I already have a set of the 2.35 Nevegals in my garage so I may just give 'em a go; but point taken. Maybe an ideal set up would be a 2.5 in the front and 2.35 in the rear.

Never tried the Zeak - just scoping it for now. Maybe a more XC saddle would be better.

Deity - love their stuff; had the 31.8 stem and bars (last year's version) on my Prophet, as well as DH/FR saddle. Maybe I'll swap in their lighter '08 stem/bar combo.

What would y'all propose as a good light replacement for the I9s? Or what about the DH/FR hubs laced to DT 6.1s?

Pedals, I left these off since it seems like a very personal choice. Am currently a big fan of Funn Viper Soljam flats.

Chain, was thinking the SRAM PC-971 since apparently it fits well with the X9 equipment.

You boys rock. Since I have a wedding coming up, this build will happen slower than I'd like. Another question, in case I scope out used Totems, what are your steer tubes cut at?
    Deity new = PHANTOM

Nah those Nevs are way to thin and light, Mins but I like Zillas suggestion Ardents look the biz 2.4 ear 2.5 front 2ply! forget the weight build up a great wheelset!

Speaking of which not knockin the 6.1s or I9s but since ya Wedding is on ya mind I'd go Hadley's /Hopes, Im a Hadley fan, choose ya 6.1s and spokes to suit!

Agree totaly with CC 203/180 should be perfect esspecailly for your weight/Ones ya probably could go 180/180 if ya not in Europe
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    no reason to go 203 on both ends. matter of fact, id say at yer weight and intent, a 203 will lock up constantly in back.
    If you'll be visiting whistler or anywhere else where you can bag 4300' in a single run, doing multiple runs a day in mixed conditions, bigger brakes start to make sense. There's not much weight gained by larger rotors, the biggest difference will be more in fatigue than performance. 203/180 is probably a good compromise especially since you live in dry climates.

Upper whistler's opening soon, We're looking at a few weeks of steep double-black rock & loam runs covered with snow, thatís 203mm territory for sure! (I'm 175lbs by the way

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast