HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004

Propedal R (w/AVA) vs. RP3 on Burner?

With all this talk of upgrading to an RP3, I'm wondering if I will notice a difference on my setup. I have a Burner with XR rockers and weigh about 220lbs.

If you compare a propedal float R (with AVA sleeve) ($free) vs. RP3 ($160), is it worth the upgrade?

Push mine instead (same price as stock RP3)? Get a pushed RP3 from Push ($250)?

thnx

Berardino

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can't comment on the AVA but I had a Propedal R and put an RP3 on my Burner (with XR rockers). The damping and overall performance is about the same, however, having the 3-position lever is really nice. I had my Float R pushed back when they first started doing it, and while it was nice, it wasn't practical to adjust it on the trail for certain conditions.

With the RP3 I normally run the bike in the middle setting, flip it to firm if I'm doing a lot of climbing, and soft for downhill or really rocky stuff. Being able to just throw the lever and not worry about how many clicks I have makes all the difference.

BTW, I'm about 230lbs for comparison.

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    jjcarr,

Thanks for the info, do you notice that big of a difference with your RP3 between the 3 settings? Also is your RP3 pushed?

BTW just curious but what pressure are you running your shock at? are you running the R and RP3 at the same pressures?

Thanks,

Berardino

banned
    FWI-

I posted a comparison last year sometime between the Burner and the Flux. Part of this was also having some shock problems, which I resolved when I figured out that it's better to oil the chamber instead of greasing it.

I also found I used a large amount of grease inside the air chamber on a PP Float R. This shock worked great on the Burner, bad on the Flux. I removed the grease (a really large volume) and it opened the shock up. The Burner favors reduced chamber volumes, using grease in this case.

Long story short conclusion:
    Burner works better with smaller chambered air shocks
    Flux with larger

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The differences between the settings is noticable but not huge. I'm told the Push treatment exagerates the differences. I notice it enought that I can tell what position I'm in when riding. Mine is not Pushed, and I run about 220-230psi in it. However keep in mind it doesn't have the AVA sleave.

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Thanks jjcarr,

I've been running my float R at 250-260 to get proper sag (per fox manual), I'll try it at a lower setting.

thnx

Berardino

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baratta930
    Thanks jjcarr,

I've been running my float R at 250-260 to get proper sag (per fox manual), I'll try it at a lower setting.

thnx

Berardino
    If you have the AVA sleave you might need 250 psi. For bigger guys, I've found the AVA is actually a liability. Forces you to run too high pressure to get propper sag without bottoming. Plus the Propedal lets you run slightly lower pressure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey, I noticed on your profile you're in Austin. We're hitting City Park at 10am today (Saturday). Come join us and ride on the RP3 yourself.

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    jjcarr,

I'll go back to the regular sleeve at lower pressure before buying an RP3 and try that. With the AVA at high pressure (260ish), it's a little harsh on chatter (ok on bigger hits).

I haven't riden CP yet, I took a bad endo about a year ago and had a bleeding kidney for a few days, since then I've been a bit of a chicken The funny part is that I got hurt at walnut creek, which is pretty easy in general. The folks in the ER said they get a few people a day on weekends from people getting hurt there. When I was there after my little "incident" 3 other people came in, two had broken bones!!!

So lately, I've been mostly riding BCGB and Muleshoe

Hope your ride was fun ...

Berardino