Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Propedal

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730

    Propedal

    On my local loop there is a fast - 30mph+ - descent which is quite open no tight sections, rough in places with loose rocks, rain gulleys cut across the track to drain it, and a not a track that could be described as smooth in any way. Thing is on this section I flick the propedal lever on and put a couple of clicks of compression damping on my fork as I find it easier to pop off rocks or whatever and jump the rougher sections using the extra compression damping to give extra lift. So I was wondering if anybody else used propedal or extra compression damping for the same reason?
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,963
    I use the suspension to absorb trail iregularities rather than intensify. I'd rather find a rougher trail to get my kicks.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Mtn. Biker123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    On my local loop there is a fast - 30mph+ - descent which is quite open no tight sections, rough in places with loose rocks, rain gulleys cut across the track to drain it, and a not a track that could be described as smooth in any way. Thing is on this section I flick the propedal lever on and put a couple of clicks of compression damping on my fork as I find it easier to pop off rocks or whatever and jump the rougher sections using the extra compression damping to give extra lift. So I was wondering if anybody else used propedal or extra compression damping for the same reason?
    Preloading your suspension will have the same affect and you don't sacrafice small bump absorption under normal riding conditions.

  4. #4
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    On my local loop there is a fast - 30mph+ - descent which is quite open no tight sections, rough in places with loose rocks, rain gulleys cut across the track to drain it, and a not a track that could be described as smooth in any way. Thing is on this section I flick the propedal lever on and put a couple of clicks of compression damping on my fork as I find it easier to pop off rocks or whatever and jump the rougher sections using the extra compression damping to give extra lift. So I was wondering if anybody else used propedal or extra compression damping for the same reason?
    P5 I know what youre trying to achieve, I was experimenting with this last year on my DH bike before nailing myself, and trying to ride like this, its the new way of DH not sure how it would flow on Trail or AM bike but Im liking ya style, keep er up and let us know more, I was hoping to start this on my RFX once I had made some changes, what rig are you using!

    Its a good techinque imo but as usual it works well in some sections not in others so have to have sharp reflexes and decision making if ya don't know the trail, if ya do like yours then its allot of fun riding like this and way faster more in control but ya have to be committed when going bigger, when ya sus is set like this there's less room for error if ya decide to go back the other way esspecialy if ya at warp speed

    Edit: I was using extra compression on my Roco and 888 well trying to it was an experimental experiment learning as ya go, I never got to finish..

    But I'm with ya..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 07-13-2008 at 04:08 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    247
    Gee Atherton's bike is setup very stiff, feels awful at low speed but when ridden at the pace and accuracy that he can ride at, it all comes together.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Ta thats exactly what I mean

    I know the trail in question really well, one of those that I've ridden for years although it does keep moving around with rocks getting moved and rain gulleys appearing after bad weather so like most natural terrain it's always shifting slightly. I hit the same section twice yesterday while riding a loop and first time around rode wide open on the propedal and comp damping - the sag is set correctly in the normal set it static style - and it feels fine at normal cruising speed or slower technical trail speeds but once the speed increases hitting the bump stop on the shock gets real easy to do and in many instances when riding with 'toms yestubes' ends up in a pinch flat. I was lucky yesterday as I was running tubeless. Second time around with propedal flicked on and a couple of clicks of compression on the front it was a smoother run as I popped over the rougher sections using parts of the trail and extra compression to float the bike. Both runs through the section used full travel but second time around I didn't know about it
    As you said Ta on a trail you don't know you're going to need quick reactions to get the best from this setup and it could just as easily catch you out. It's not something I'd use on a slower more technical section but it I'll keep trying it on faster trails as so far it seems to work for me.

    Oh and it was on the Flux
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  7. #7
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Dude sounds like you need a MTX frame I hope that trail is not too rough old Fluxy will be taking a hammering! Sounds like yer having lots of fun though keep hanging her out!
    Ive set my Spot up as 4xish as I can etc without getting too carried away with stays rockers etc, so hoping to get some of that sometime!
    Just goes to show any bike will do as long as yer having fun
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  8. #8
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    its all personal style but id agree with 123.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  9. #9
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Pre loading is fine on light bikes and when ya got time for setting up or a big ass ramp try doing that on 40 plus pounds on 8inches over a 3-4min course its tough work and ya don't have allot of time at warp speed on stupide steep decents wit time bombs trying to knock ya off yer bike
    Just another persepective, but good points all the same, just proves one glove does not fit all, good topic
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: Mtn. Biker123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Pre loading is fine on light bikes and when ya got time for setting up or a big ass ramp try doing that on 40 plus pounds on 8inches over a 3-4min course its tough work and ya don't have allot of time at warp speed on stupide steep decents wit time bombs trying to knock ya off yer bike
    Just another persepective, but good points all the same, just proves one glove does not fit all, good topic
    But he was on a Flux! I definitely used to run a little firm if when I was going for speed, but for comfort I like "full" squish.

  11. #11
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    But he was on a Flux! I definitely used to run a little firm if when I was going for speed, but for comfort I like "full" squish.
    my bad, my response was to CC I agree with you all P5 esspecailly
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: Mtn. Biker123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    my bad, my response was to CC I agree with you all P5 esspecailly
    No disrespect TA, as you stated...it really boils down to preference.

  13. #13
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    No disrespect TA, as you stated...it really boils down to preference.
    agree bud, none taken I got a foot in both departments, its definitley not for everyone and in fact Im sure it requires more skills than I have at warp speed to dial in
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •