mtbr member
    Feb 2008

project spot complete finally

Well I finally finished building my spot after many months. I would have had it completed earlier but ran into somethings that were out of my control, (bad fork), handled well by Sram though. I took it for a little spin down the road, we have some snow and it was night so the ride wasn't much but all I can say is WOW! The bike just felt so right. I am going riding Saturday, will have to travel a little to escape the snow, but will give a ride report on it. Man, I can't wait.
    Build- Wheels DT 5.1 Hope 2 hubs on front-Hadley on rear, built by Larry
    Pike 454 u-turn fork
    XT Hydro brakes
    Thompson stem and seat post
    XT crank
    XTR rear and front derailleurs
    XTR pedals
    XT chain
    WTB pure V saddle
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires- tubes, ya still like em
    Easton Havoc DH bars-figure I'll give them a try, big Azonic fan on bars here
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Hope quick release seat collar
    ODI clamp on grips
    Weight around 30 lb range

Talk about being fired up to take it out!

not so super...
    Nice looking bike. Hope you get a chance to get some dirt under the tires soon.

ride
    That turned out great - solid build there. You'll be all smiles.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    you have a loose thread on yer front tire. other than that, sweet!
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~
    Nice "Man-Chair" with strategically placed speakers. And efficient use of the cooler/side table!

Oh, and nice job on the Spot!

banned
    Don't forget the fold away version of said 'man chair'. I concur, good lookin' rig you got there.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Nice ride.
    Strip the Pike stickers off the fork for a cleaner look (I stripped the Turner sticker off as well for maximum ninja effect).

Spots kick azz, no question.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Done, took all the stickers off. I like that look. Now to get that sticky stuff off.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by pelts79
    Done, took all the stickers off. I like that look. Now to get that sticky stuff off.
    I used some stuff called "Goo-B-Gone". It's a citrus solvent that won't harm the finish and it works fairly well.
    -Sage Francis

~~~
    Pelts, can you post another pic of your frame without the decals? I haven't considered taking my decals off.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my XCE. I'm not sure if I want to replace mine with replicas of the originals (black letters with chrome outlines) or maybe just the outline letters like the ones you just removed. Then there's the 09 decals in solid silver block letters...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Now to remove the rim stickers.

lurker extraordinaire
    Nice looking bike! Is that the smoke black? I just ordered a medium smoke black Spot (2008). I can't wait. It should be built by Thursday since I'm just having all the components swapped from my current frame.

Honestly, I'm a little nervous because I've never even ridden a 5 Spot. In fact, I've never ridden any Turner. I'm taking a leap of faith here based on the overwhelming positive reputation of these bikes as well as the company itself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat
    Nice looking bike! Is that the smoke black? I just ordered a medium smoke black Spot (2008). I can't wait. It should be built by Thursday since I'm just having all the components swapped from my current frame.

Honestly, I'm a little nervous because I've never even ridden a 5 Spot. In fact, I've never ridden any Turner. I'm taking a leap of faith here based on the overwhelming positive reputation of these bikes as well as the company itself.
    Good choice. It's going to be interesting hearing your ride report, make sure we get one. What fork you having swapped over?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat

Ya, it's smoke black. I took the spot out for it's first ride on Saturday and it was simpily amazing. It was like riding a cadillac. Man, what a trail machine. It climbed really well and went down hill even better. I just had to dial down my 140 fork a bit, not used to that much travel and have to get used to a shorter stem. Man, the spot just takes on everything well. I was able complete hair pin turns on climbs well with it which I thought would be an issue due to its longer wheel base. I am coming off a Blur classic, which I still have but probably won't be seeing much trail time anytime soon. I really like the 20 mm axle on the Pike also, wow, just blast through the rough stuff. I didn't notice any bob even on climbs with the fox RP23 set on pro pedal one. Ya, the spot put a huge grin on my face after a ride at White Mesa on Saturday. The spot is one fun ride for sure. I never rode the spot before I purchased it either, just went on the reviews posted and a great price on the 08 closeout frames along with great customer service. The homers know what their talking about for sure, AWESOME RIDE!

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Good choice. It's going to be interesting hearing your ride report, make sure we get one. What fork you having swapped over?
    I have an 08 Lyrik U-Turn. It adjusts from 115mm to 160mm. I'm figuring I'll just leave it dialed down around 140 most of the time, and just dial it up or down depending on the trail.

This is what I'll be moving over:
    Fork: Lyrik U-Turn Coil
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
    Front Derailleur: Deore LX
    Shifters: SRAM X7
    Wheels: Mavic 819
    Hubs: Hadley 10mm thru-axle rear/20mm thru-axle front
    Cranks: Shimano SLX (new - old cranks are heavy DH cranks)
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Stem: Thompson X4 (0 rise - 90mm)
    Handlebars: Race Face Evolve AM

I may swap out the handlebars with something lighter. I'm gonna ride it like that first though. There are some other components in that list that I wouldn't mind replacing, like the front derailleur and the shifters, but I'm going to just use what I have until that stuff needs replacing.

I'll definitely post a ride-report after taking it out for its first ride. The more I read about this bike, and the more I hear from people who either own one or have ridden one, the nervousness I was feeling over blindly buying one is turning into excitement. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Is it Thursday yet?!

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by pelts79
    Ya, it's smoke black. I took the spot out for it's first ride on Saturday and it was simpily amazing. It was like riding a cadillac. Man, what a trail machine. It climbed really well and went down hill even better. I just had to dial down my 140 fork a bit, not used to that much travel and have to get used to a shorter stem. Man, the spot just takes on everything well. I was able complete hair pin turns on climbs well with it which I thought would be an issue due to its longer wheel base. I am coming off a Blur classic, which I still have but probably won't be seeing much trail time anytime soon. I really like the 20 mm axle on the Pike also, wow, just blast through the rough stuff. I didn't notice any bob even on climbs with the fox RP23 set on pro pedal one. Ya, the spot put a huge grin on my face after a ride at White Mesa on Saturday. The spot is one fun ride for sure. I never rode the spot before I purchased it either, just went on the reviews posted and a great price on the 08 closeout frames along with great customer service. The homers know what their talking about for sure, AWESOME RIDE!
    That's awesome, man. I hope I'll be posting a similar report in a few days!

~~~
    Thanks for the pic! Your bike will look really nice when you remove the rim stickers, too.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Your bike is like my bike's "mini me"

Here's what an XXL looks like

-Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

rim stickers removed

Here is a shot of the rim stickers removed, man they were a little stuborn. Thanks for the tip on the Goo Gone Bones. I had to let it sit for a while on the rim stickers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Now, take the sticker off the Fox shock! When I swapped the air can on mine, I didn't put the sticker on the new can. I really liked the rear shock with no sticker.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    That looks like crap dude, you should put the stickers back on.

[SIZE="1"]+1 for the Fox sticker removal advice[/SIZE]
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Now, take the sticker off the Fox shock! When I swapped the air can on mine, I didn't put the sticker on the new can. I really liked the rear shock with no sticker.

done, thanks for the tip

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Looks great very stealthy
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products