parts leftover

Project Six Pack progress

My wonderful wife gave me an Ultimate bike workstand for Christmas She thought it would be easier for me than flipping the bikes upside down (and scuffing stuff) or leaning them against something. Pics attached. I hope everyone else had a great Christmas, too!

The Six Pack is starting to look like a bike. Installed: FSA Pig DH Pro headset, Sun RhynoLite rims on Saint hubs, 8" Saint calipers and rotors, Thomson 70mm stem, Saint crankarms, Race Face Atlas seatpost, and the Zoke Z1.

On order: Answer protaper 1" rise bar, WTB Laser V, ODI Rogue lock ons, 07 SRAM X.9 shifters and mid cage derailleur, XT cassette, and Wipperman chain. I have the Saint brake levers too, but I need a handlebar to put them on first.

I had to get a Hadley 10mm through-axle 135mm rear bolt to replace the longer Saint bolt that came with the Saint derailleur (it was tossed in free with the wheelset). I decided to stick with SRAM and avoid rapid-rise/low-normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    ...FYI, not very good posture to be clamping the frame tubes (asking for problems). Try clamping the seat post instead.

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    I've got that exact stand, and believe me, plenty of clamp strength on the seat post. I'm frightened seeing that top tube clamped. By the way, I bought a nice work tray for it from Performance. MM
    MolarM

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    usually id fully agree with you guys but the nature of ultimates clamp is such that it "holds" more than "clamps or squeezes" like a park head does. as long as ya dont twist the night away, i think yer mostly safe. that bein said, i always clamp at the post with mine.

oh yeah..... nice ride! its almost a bike!
    No, I'm NOT back!

parts leftover
    Thanks for the warning, I only had the bike held tight enough in the stand to keep it from moving, then took it off. That's why I used the rag. It was a more balanced pic that way. I'll post the finished product when it's all put together. Looking forward to spring!

not so super...
    Spring?? That thing will hold some mighty big tires - get out in the white stuff and ride!
    Nothing to see here.

I've got a Stiffee
    Looking good so far! Do yourself a favor and see if Turner still has some of those DHX coil shocks on sale......it is IMO a much better rear shock for the Pack/RFX

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    The Six Pack is starting to look like a bike.
    congrats on the bike!
    i admire you're ability to postpone gratifications. when i got my flux frame a few months back i got early afternoon and had her built by about 9 pm including 3 runs to 3 different lbs's for missing parts...

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    Looking good so far! Do yourself a favor and see if Turner still has some of those DHX coil shocks on sale......it is IMO a much better rear shock for the Pack/RFX
    What are the advantages of a coil shock? I've really like the RP23 on my titus, and the ability to adjust the sag easily. The DHX air came on the bike, and I figured it would ride like the RP23 but with the bottom-out resistance. $250 on the Turner site looks like a good deal though

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    it is IMO a much better rear shock for the Pack/RFX
    not to muddy the waters, but since im already wearin my rubber boots.... theres equal handfulls of us that dont much like the dhxc or the dhxa im not a fan of my coil but dont fret though, there are fixes. sent it to push or replace it with a avy or ccdb.
    No, I'm NOT back!

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not to muddy the waters, but since im already wearin my rubber boots.... theres equal handfulls of us that dont much like the dhxc or the dhxa im not a fan of my coil but dont fret though, there are fixes. sent it to push or replace it with a avy or ccdb.
    What are avy and ccdb? Ack! too many acronyms. I was riding a 96 Stumpjumper hardtail until this summer and am just getting to know the latest stuff. Does PUSH work on DHX shocks?

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    What are avy and ccdb?
    Avy means Avalanche and ccdb is CaneCreek DoubleBarrel,some optional shocks you can use at your RFX.Do a search here at the Turner forum,you will find tons of discussions about it.

Later
    RaD
    Last edited by RaD; 12-30-2006 at 09:45 AM.

I've got a Stiffee
    I ran my 6 Pack with the DHX air for a good 6 months before I switched to the DHX coil. The air isn't a "bad" shock, however the coil just does everything better imo. Most noticeably at high speeds and on drops, the air just couldn't keep up on high speed rock gardens/braking bumps and it would require too much air to keep it from bottoming out on drops which in turn made it feel too harsh in other areas. I got the coil shock and ran it for a month or so then sent it into PUSH for their "race" treatment and it feels unbelievable. The shock doesn't pack up at all during high speed descents, it just soaks everything up and the faster you go the better the shock feels. Even before the PUSH mods the coil shock performed better in everyway, even climbing. If you are a heavier or very aggressive rider that likes to do drops/hucks then the coil should definately be a consideration.

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    The cane creek double barrel is the way to go with that linkage - except for the fact that it costs about a million dollars (650-steel/850-Ti spring). The CCDB will come to you from cane creek mostly dialed for your weight, and 'dyno tested). The shock is basically an Ohlins moto shock with a cane creek sticker on it - I can pedal circles around my XC friends on my freeride bike simply because the low-end damping and rebound are sooo incredibly dialed - inertia valve performance from a FR coil shock. And when you want to take big hit, this shock is incredible - seemingly bottomless and super plush damping. (However, I do run a DHX air on my enduro....and I love it to death!!) just thought i'd shout out for the CCDB

trail fairy
    ajmcafee The cane creek double barrel is the way to go with that linkage - except for the fact that it costs about a million dollars (650-steel/850-Ti spring). The CCDB will come to you from cane creek mostly dialed for your weight, and 'dyno tested). The shock is basically an Ohlins moto shock with a cane creek sticker on it - I can pedal circles around my XC friends on my freeride bike simply because the low-end damping and rebound are sooo incredibly dialed - inertia valve performance from a FR coil shock. And when you want to take big hit, this shock is incredible - seemingly bottomless and super plush damping. (However, I do run a DHX air on my enduro....and I love it to death!!) just thought i'd shout out for the CCDB
    What he said thats exactly how I feel about my CCDB on my RFX man it is sooo sweet
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0