mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Prince Kahn (27.5+ Sultan)

Inspired by DT and the ride of the 29 x 3 knards on my snowbike I took the plunge and had the LBS make up a set of 27.5 wheels with 40mm Nextie rims and slapped them on the Sultan. These tires just eat roots and bumps, are super stable and have tons of traction. In a word, FUN!! A big improvement for where & how I ride, i.e. on narrow rooty trails for the most part.

The King Kahn looks really fun, but it was hard to justify with a Sultan and snow bike in the stable and a wife who can count. Plus, being a man of substance, I need low gears for the hills and wanted to keep my triple. Not having ridden the KK I can't directly compare, but have to think that the PK is about 90% as fun for 20% of the cost.

A few geeky details:

At the moment the front tire is the 3.5 (actually 2.75) Fat Be Nimble - fast and light. Plenty of clearance with Fox 36/150.

The biggest tire I can run on the 40mm rims without rubbing the chain on the tire in granny gear is the Vee Tire Fatty Trax 2.8 (tried the 3.0 and it was no go - fine in the middle ring tho).

Even with the 2.8 the clearance is minimal and the chain acts like a squeegee in the really gloppy mud. Plus, I had to move the 2.5mm spacer to the drive side and slightly dish the wheel towards the non-drive side.

Two downsides though:

First, the setup does drop the bottom bracket about .5 inches relative to the prior setup which was 29 x 2.35 Racing Ralphs on Stan's Flow rims. Since the switch the number pedal strikes has gone from almost zero to way too many - but will probably change once the mind gets re-calibrated which is slowly happening; and,

Second, the rolling resistance in the sticky mud is horrible - much more resistance that the 29ers. They are also slow on pavement. But on dry and frozen ground the don't seem much slower than the old setup.

At any rate, the Sultan was getting a little boring . . . but no more.

A worthy change.Prince Kahn (27.5+ Sultan)-s2.jpgPrince Kahn (27.5+ Sultan)-s1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks great, and fun! I had a 29+ for a few years and liked it, esp. when I put a big fork on it. But 29+ can't get around the weight of the wheels. So 27.5 plus makes a lot of sense - actually planning to build up a set for my Honzo. Schwalbe has some 27+ tires coming out (nobly nic), that will be perfect for your Sultan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet rig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Schweet!! Is that a XL or XXL frame? How much weight did that add?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    XXL Spesh FSR 29er | Custom Ti roadie by Triton | FM190 build in progress

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The frame is an XL.

The extra weight depends mostly on tire choice.

The old rear wheel (I9 hubs, I9 spokes, Stan's Flow and RR 2.4) and the new rear wheel (I9 hubs, standard spokes, Nextie 40mm rims and Fat Be Nimble 3.5) were very close - the new setup being 20gm more or something.

But with the 2.8 Fatty Trax on there it weighs another 300g or so.

Looking forward to trying Schwalbe tires when they come out early next year.

Also, after yet another ride in the muck I am convinced that the fat setup is much more prone to slipping on the mud, wet logs/roots and everything else that is not dry. Kind of like a wide slick in the snow. Right now the ground is freezing at night and the top layer partially melts during the day - slick as can be with the 1/2" of mud on top of frozen ground. The 29er setup handled it relatively well. It could just be the tires, but suspect it is the extra width.

My cup runneth over
    Glad to hear it's 'doable'. I think the Sultan is the only that can get away with a triple in DT's stable when fattened.

FWIW, I agree on the fat tires in the mud. They often have enough float that they don't sink deep enough to get sufficient support/traction

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    re BB height, just measured it in garage - 13.5" - which is pretty much the same as the 13.6 spec. That is with 36/150 fork (which has very close to the a-c of the 34). However, actual height of 27.5+ setup was 1/2" less then Flows/Racing Ralph 2.35, using framing square against door to make sure measurement was accurate. But 1/2" still makes a big difference on rooty trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    The frame is an XL.

The extra weight depends mostly on tire choice.

The old rear wheel (I9 hubs, I9 spokes, Stan's Flow and RR 2.4) and the new rear wheel (I9 hubs, standard spokes, Nextie 40mm rims and Fat Be Nimble 3.5) were very close - the new setup being 20gm more or something.

But with the 2.8 Fatty Trax on there it weighs another 300g or so.

Looking forward to trying Schwalbe tires when they come out early next year.

Also, after yet another ride in the muck I am convinced that the fat setup is much more prone to slipping on the mud, wet logs/roots and everything else that is not dry. Kind of like a wide slick in the snow. Right now the ground is freezing at night and the top layer partially melts during the day - slick as can be with the 1/2" of mud on top of frozen ground. The 29er setup handled it relatively well. It could just be the tires, but suspect it is the extra width.
    What air pressure are you running in those fat tires? My winter experience on 4" tires is that you REALLY need to lower the pressure, and when running single digits, 1/4 pound here or there makes a HUGE difference. So much so that you need a separate pressure gauge(15psi max) to understand what's going on. I ran 4.5 in the front 6.5 in the back tubeless, and was solid in the snow. Certainly tire choice plays into it...especially at really low pressure. I weigh 180 for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Not really dialed in on psi yet, but running 18r/16f for starters. Typically run 11r/9f on fat bike, but our trails are generally pretty firm so lowser psi not generally needed or preferable iMO. 250+ lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just replaced lower shock bushing with Turner offset bushing and that jacked the bottom bracket up a bit - about 13.9" now, which should get rid of the pedal strike issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just wondering if you were still running the plus Stoganof? I am looking to do the same with my Sultan and was wondering if there was anything new to report?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    no, nothing new to report. winter arrived and the fat bike came out to play. was not too impresses with the vee tire on the back, but now that the nobby nic 2.8 is out that issue should be solved. be sure to buy the turner lower shock mount to maintain bb height and you will be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Stroganof: Have you had good luck with the Offset bushing? I dropped the bottom bracket a bit with a 27.5+ Sultan conversion, I think about 1/4 inch. It hasn't been a major issue but certainly noticeable on rough terrain with pedal strikes. However, I think I like the lowering for cornering and handling. Is it an adjustable offset or an up or down 2 setting deal? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the offset bushing has worked well, pretty much set and forget.

It is hard to imagine that any intermediate setting would work as the constant pounding from the shock would make the bushing migrate to the low position. When in the high position the forces from the shock are just transmitted to the frame - but it may migtate anyway - have not checked yet.