mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Pricing info on used 5 spots...

how much would you think you would pay for a lightly used 5 spot?
    i am trying to sell my frame and i am just wondering what people think the going rate for these used are.
    thanks

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I got mine for $1,180.00

Quote Originally Posted by mightywarlock
    how much would you think you would pay for a lightly used 5 spot?
    i am trying to sell my frame and i am just wondering what people think the going rate for these used are.
    thanks
    On Ebay a while back. A real steal. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hmm...interesting points.

in some respect, i believe you are correct.
    i believe i am having a hard time selling my frame because it is a size small.
    it seems people seem to think they should only have to pay 1200 for a used frame for some reason (i have gotten emails from people stating they are looking at new frames for around that price, yet wont offer where...)
    i posted on ebay, mtbr, pinkbike, ridemonkey, and compared to when i had sold my xce, the amount of feedback i have gotten is very light in comparison.
    very weird for one of the hottest trailbikes...

but maybe they really are in too much availability now anyway....
    i dunno...
    i just know that i need my medium and the guy i was going to buy may not be patient too much longer if i cant sell my frame soon...
    my next course of action was going to see about making a deal with a bike shop to see if they wanted to make 10 percent or whatever...
    oh well.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Why talk about used prices when there's always a guy on ebay selling them for .10 cent opening bids and no reserve (and no picture)?

You must consider these bikes were VERY good sellers this year. For the 2003 product reviews, you see 3 Burners and 44 5 Spots. How long have you had the frame and honestly, on a scale of 1-10, how good is it? Also consider if you have a rare color that either everyone wants (because of production runs), or if it's rare because no one wants it. Next, is the demand still high, or has most of the buyers who wanted one gotten one? I think it's the former. These are all important factors in a 5 spot's pricing.

So, baseline 20% off immediately, unless it's less than 1 month old. That would make 1,895-379=$1,516 Which is not a bad price for a "lightly used" 2 month old frame with no scratches or damage and in an easily sellable color. Take off at least 5-10% more for (more) scratches and damage. The latter is on the high side, but I'm trying to draw a range, rather than a definite price.
    1,895-473.75=1,421.25 for the additional 5%
    1,895-568.50=1,326.50 for the additonal 10% (for more damage)

Get more feedback on these numbers because the 5 spot may enjoy high resale right now, provided it's still in high demand and yours is in really good condition. I would think a frame for the $1516 would sell quite easily, even with a couple of scratches.

You can't go too close to the retail because you are selling a used frame with no warranty and the closer you go to retail, the more anyone would rather not deal with it and go with a new frame.

mtbr member
    Here in OC, Socal, I can buy a new frame for under $1700., wont say where, perhaps its a good guy price. Deals can be found on new frames these days, theres a new Yeti 575 on the forums for $1100 shipped.

Trail Rider

Consider the warranty also...

Quote Originally Posted by mightywarlock
    hmm...interesting points.

in some respect, i believe you are correct.
    i believe i am having a hard time selling my frame because it is a size small.
    it seems people seem to think they should only have to pay 1200 for a used frame for some reason (i have gotten emails from people stating they are looking at new frames for around that price, yet wont offer where...)
    i posted on ebay, mtbr, pinkbike, ridemonkey, and compared to when i had sold my xce, the amount of feedback i have gotten is very light in comparison.
    very weird for one of the hottest trailbikes...

but maybe they really are in too much availability now anyway....
    i dunno...
    i just know that i need my medium and the guy i was going to buy may not be patient too much longer if i cant sell my frame soon...
    my next course of action was going to see about making a deal with a bike shop to see if they wanted to make 10 percent or whatever...
    oh well.
    thanks
    I don't think the warranty would be honored by Turner if something happened(original owner). I'm assuming you also have last years model also(polished rear) which, by the way is what I would prefer.

I believe the $1200-$1300 is a realistic price considering the warranty, and the buyer not knowing how the bike was treated(unless they knew you personally). Also high end frames near the 5 Spot's price range blowout (end of model) for about that much(with a warranty). I realize you bought the wrong size, but you have to be sure about the size before you buy. It is hard to get the right size when you are between sizes as I am. You really have to try out both sizes. Good luck!

cask conditioned

New question here. Just a theory but....

MW, I'm slightly taller than you and I'm just inside the medium on the Turner sizing chart. Are you 100% positive you need a medium? Have you tried dropping your stem, getting a longer stem, etc? (I'm on a 16.5" XCE with a 120mm stem). Since you're going from an XCE to a slacker 5-spot it could just feel a bit more cramped with the same components.