mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Powdercoating my old Turner Burner

hey guys, longtime no talk. My black powdercoat on my Burner is shot and I am going to be disassembling the bike soon and sending it out to either Spectrum or the people in Cali who does it for Turner now. I found out Spectrum is more money BUT they apply the stickers and put a clearcoat over the frame. The Cali guys (I forgot the name of the shop) does not do either, jsut coat. Sooooo. I need help picking a color. I love dark red, Light/dark blue, even copper?? Any suggestions?? Pics?? I cant make up mind!

thanks guys!!

Outcast
    check out this website:
    http://allral.com/color_tables.php
    you can click on any of the color swatches, and you'll get a full screen shot of the color. Bear in mind that most powder coat shops do not carry every RAL color, and that the color you see on screen may vary from the actual.

i can't type the letter s
    Olympic PC in OC does clear coat, but ASFAIK they don't put stickers on and then PC.

I had my bike PC'd and CC'd with no stickers there for 90.00. They also stripped it for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What about if you're starting out with a clear ano frame?

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    What about if you're starting out with a clear ano frame?
    Are you saying if you have a clear coat frame that is anodized? Not sure, give them a call and find out. They are real helpful on the phone.

Olympic PC

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My understanding was that the polished frames - like mine - were clear anodized, not clear coated. I'm pretty sure I would have chipped the clearcoat at some point by now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks guys, Turner has a really nice candy red color. I am going to call spectrum Monday and send it to them. I love my bike , jsut cant afford a new frame and mine is perfectly fine. I can get a 08 5-spot for $900 with the trade in, not sure if it is worth it.

thanks!!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by GNfanatic
    thanks guys, Turner has a really nice candy red color. I am going to call spectrum Monday and send it to them. I love my bike , jsut cant afford a new frame and mine is perfectly fine. I can get a 08 5-spot for $900 with the trade in, not sure if it is worth it.

thanks!!
    I have a burner and and 08 spot...believe me, if you want a spot, it's so worth it. Painting a bike does nothing to the performance. If you just want looks, nevermind.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

I'm bummed...

... I thought a new paint job or a powder coat would make me go faster. What's the deal?

So cool that you still ride a Burner.
    MUCH RESPECT!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I have a burner and and 08 spot...believe me, if you want a spot, it's so worth it. Painting a bike does nothing to the performance. If you just want looks, nevermind.
    this bike never let me down and I had great times with it. I jsut want to make her pretty again

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    nuthin wrong with that. olympic will make ya smile and the ability to replacestickers on a whim is kinda nice too. screw the clear coat.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    FYI- The silver Fluxes were anodized to protect the polished finish. I have heard that even the PC ones were ano underneath, simply due to the manufacturing line. I don't know for sure, however.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    My suggestion would be to decide on the color and then work with Turner on having them do the 'overhaul' of new PC, prep for reassembly, replacing the bushings, and reassembly. Last I heard it's $250, but saves a few headaches (facing the pivot surfaces where the o-rings sit, removing zerks before PC, installing new zerks after PC, removing old bushings, installing new bushings). Having gone though the DIY method once before, I would just send the frame to Murrieta and let them take care of the details if I was to do it again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    2turners, that was already done I did the new bushings, fittings and such last year. I need to ask you guys if any of you have seen the SANGRIA 5-spot. On their website it looks hot but I never saw one in real life. Turner told me it is a translucient candy red. Have any of you seen it?? I would like to go with this color but kind of afraid not seeing it in real life.

thanks!!!!

... I guess you won't be
    Ya may just take advantage on the super inexpensive trade in option and get an 08 spot......read my tale of powdercoating woe, and you may decide punting and trading up to the next level, is the most intelligent thing you've done this year....save yourself the misery!

Even though Turner's legendary customer service ended up saving my sorry arse, the lesson here is sometimes tartin' up ol bessie ain't the best use of your time or money. You'll likely not be able to buy into a stellar new spot at that price/trade-in for much longer.....

Glow in the Dark Spot!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    joker, thanlks for the post man. Your right, its to late. No L size left for 08 spot s,m,xl only. I 5'11 xl to big for me.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Another idea

I sent my 2003 Turner Five Spot to Turner for a pivot replacement and paint job. It cost $300 after shipping both ways. It took about 5 weeks. My frame came back looking brand spanking new. My old frame had the zirks falling out, chain suck marks, and it looked very tired. It came back freaking new looking. It was amazing with new pain and pivots! I would highly recommend it.

Jaybo

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I sent my 2003 Turner Five Spot to Turner for a pivot replacement and paint job. It cost $300 after shipping both ways. It took about 5 weeks. My frame came back looking brand spanking new. My old frame had the zirks falling out, chain suck marks, and it looked very tired. It came back freaking new looking. It was amazing with new pain and pivots! I would highly recommend it.

Jaybo
    Jaybo, if you had taken the time to read the O.P.'s post above, you'd see that he allready got new zerks and bushings last year. So why should he pay more for a service he doesn't need?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You told me

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Jaybo, if you had taken the time to read the O.P.'s post above, you'd see that he allready got new zerks and bushings last year. So why should he pay more for a service he doesn't need?
    They do more than just do zerks and bushings. They make the whole bike look new. I don't know how they do it but they do. But, you are right about the cost, and the fact he probably doesn't need bushings.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    And here is my "new" Burner, also completed. Wanted to show you guys some pics. Thanks for all your help!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    My buddy just traded in his Burner (used to be mine) to Turner for a 2008 Sangria Red Spot. It is TIGHT! I'm so jealous. I sold him my Burner to get a 2005 HL Spot, which I love, but it's not red.

So to answer your question, the Sangria Red is badass. To answer your other question, yes it's worth it to trade in the Burner and get a Spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    turnerfred, to late for any of that. The pics above is the new powdercoated frame. I am not hardcore like you guys so why spend that type of money for an upgrade?? The burner treated me well all these years so i am sticking with it. I was worried about what the red would come out like so I didnt take the chance. The blue is nice, I like it.

have fun guys