MCF
    mtbr member

Potential Flux Problems....

Considering getting an XL Flux for my 6'5" 210 lb frame...has anyone experienced any of the following problems (either things I am trying to eliminate from my current SC Blur ride or things I don't want to experience) -

1. Pedal Smack
    2. Rear End Flex
    3. Chain Suck
    4. Excessive bobbing while climbing standing when required
    5. Any other annoying problems that the Flux may have - no little annoyance is to small (and please, no need to reply if the only problems are that you don't have time to ride or the bike makes you hear voices screaming louder, harder, faster...etc., etc.)
    Thanks!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Considering getting an XL Flux for my 6'5" 210 lb frame...has anyone experienced any of the following problems (either things I am trying to eliminate from my current SC Blur ride or things I don't want to experience) -

1. Pedal Smack
    The Flux has an average BB height, so I do clip my pedals on things. If I don't want to clip my pedals I ride my bigger travel bike.
    2. Rear End Flex
    I'm 195-200 lbs and rear end flex is not noticeable on mine.
    3. Chain Suck
    Only if my chainrings/chain are in bad shape.
    Not if the shock has the proper air pressure.
    5. Any other annoying problems that the Flux may have - no little annoyance is to small (and please, no need to reply if the only problems are that you don't have time to ride or the bike makes you hear voices screaming louder, harder, faster...etc., etc.)
    Thanks!
    Cable rub messing up the finish.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF

1. Pedal Smack
    2. Rear End Flex
    3. Chain Suck
    Thanks!
    I have never ridden around your area, but if it anything like Austin, then you'll definatelly will be smacking the pedals. Flux has an identical BB heights as your Blur, the difference will be sag, but they should be nearly identical, overall. One of the reasons I opted for a 5 Spot after riding my Burner for a season was the BB height.

If you experienced bobbing on the Blur, then there was something afully wrong with your setup. One of the virtures of the VPP is that the chain tension keeps the rear extended, eliminating bob. Maybe you should get that checked out before shelling out money on a new frame. Also, the only suspension design that will keep the rear from bobbin when you're standing up is called a hardtail.

The only other problem with the Flux, especilaly with Larges and bigger frames is a significant amount of reported breakages on the seattube, around the weld where the main pivot attaches. At the same time, Turner will take care of you better than any other company out there, so it will only be an annoyance of not riding for a few days.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

MCF
    mtbr member

Thanks....

I do not have any pedal bob at all with the Blur...at least none that is noticeable....I weigh about 210lbs (215lbs with gear and all) and I run between 220 and 225lbs of pressure in the AVA R. Sag is right at 10mm. I would not think that it would help much, but the BB of the XL Flux is 0.2" higher than that of the Blur (every little bit helps without increasing the COG too much). Houston is not nearly as rocky as Austin...if I lived in Austin or rode there a lot, I would def. be looking at the 5 Spot instead.....durability was a concern of mine and the following is a note from Turner, "Mike The Flux will be a great bike for the type of riding you are doing. It looks like you might want to get the XL frame as you are pushing what is acceptable size frame for your body structure. We have no concerns about your weight as we sell this bike to guys over 250lbs all the time". This eased my mind....my trails have a lot of roots and I think the fact that the Blur has 4.5" of travel vs. the 4" of travel of the Flux may also contribute to the more frequent pedal smacking of the Blur....any thoughts?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Pertaining to the BB, if you'll look at Santa Cruz website, Blur has BB height of 12.6" in small and medium and 12.8" in larger sizes. Flux is 12.8 all around. One thing that Flux has advantage in is the ability to run larger tires, which will ellevate your BB somewhat. RP3 rides fairly deep in its travel, and Flux riders have been reporting utilizing most of the stroke of the shock on their routine rides which do not involve excessive drops, I have no experiece with the Blur. You can also opt for shorter cranks, but that's not a real solution. In the end it is all about your technique and knowing where your pedals are, but frame geometry does help. And yes, since the Blur has .5" more travel, then your bb will be 0.5" lower in the bottom of the stroke, so the Flux should ride higher in that regard.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

MCF
    mtbr member

The stats you are looking at on the SC...

website are for the Blur XC.....the stats for the Classic Blur no longer seem to be available on the website.....Per my documentation I have for the Blur Classic, the BB height for all sizes is 12.6". Also, I don't think that 1/2" extra travel (rear wheel movement) relates linearly to BB drop....I would think that an extra 1/2" of rear wheel travel on a VPP Blur would relate to maybe 1/8" to a 1/4" extra BB height drop....but I could be wrong. I know my arguments are not helping me convince myself that the Flux will have less pedal smack, but I think that the ever so slightly higher BB of the Flux and the 1/2" less rear wheel travel may combine to reduce pedal smack at least slightly....a lot of times I just barely hit my pedal so if it was 1/2" higher, I would miss whatever I hit...I agree that shorter cranks are not a real solution (escpecially since i will be keeping my 175mm XT cranks)....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

get the flux

Have owned a BLUR,i can tell you the FLUX is a better all around XC bike.Fast enough for racing and plush enough to ride all day.I live on east coast and ride some pretty rock trails,you will hit your pedals in the rocks(so will every other xc bike)
    I rode the Flux for over a year now,raced it all year.even broke one at the seat tube-and still wouldnt think of trading for anything else. enough said