Chris Bling

New question here. Possible RP23 Kashima problem with 5 Spot

Just picked up a new RP23 Kashima coated Adaptive Logic shock for my 09 Spot. With the stock RP23, I was running abut 200 psi to get my correct sag, but last night when I was trying to set my sag with the new shock on, I was at nearly 40% with the same psi. I had to pump it up to 230 psi go get where i needed to be. I have included pics of the preset tune from the factory. Are they the same as yours? If so, what do you think is the problem?

It is worth noting that I bought this from a guy that had it on his 5 Spot before he upgraded to a CCDB, so the compatibility should not be the issue.

Possible RP23 Kashima problem with 5 Spot-img-20121106-00114.jpg

Possible RP23 Kashima problem with 5 Spot-img-20121106-00115.jpg

Possible RP23 Kashima problem with 5 Spot-img-20121106-00116.jpg
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

GAME ON!
    did you have a high volume canister before?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Chris Bling
    I sure did. It is what came stock on the '09
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Different shock = different pressure. I would not worry about it. Set the sag and ride it. If it feels fine, it probably is fine. If it is blown, when you ride it, you will know.

A lot of people with Spot run 10-20 lbs below body weight. With my shock, I am running close to 10-20 lbs above body weight. Again, different shock=different pressures.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Different shock = different pressure. I would not worry about it. Set the sag and ride it. If it feels fine, it probably is fine. If it is blown, when you ride it, you will know.

A lot of people with Spot run 10-20 lbs below body weight. With my shock, I am running close to 10-20 lbs above body weight. Again, different shock=different pressures.
    Right on.That was the plan tonight. I'll report back how things ended up
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    I wonder if the original owner of RP23 that came on the bike had done the DGC mod to reduce air can volume. That might explain the lower pressure to get correct sag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I wonder if the original owner of RP23 that came on the bike had done the DGC mod to reduce air can volume. That might explain the lower pressure to get correct sag.
    I was wondering if the old shock might have been shimmed as well but I also agree with "different shock, different pressure."

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I would say probably not. The gal I bought the bike from didn't seem like one to mod anything. Heck, it had less than 100 miles on it when I bought it. I weigh about 210 all dressed out, so the 250 just seems high. Like I said before, after the ride tonight, we'll all know a lot more!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    Just got back from my ride tonight and here are my findings. When I got back I had about 12mm sag, and my pressure was at 220psi. Shock felt totolly awesome. No complaints. My explanation of why things changed? Only think I can think of is that after riding the trail, all the oil and such got moving around after it had not been mounted on a bike for several weeks. I re checked the sag with 215 psi and it was about 13 to 14mm's so something for sure changed inside the shock from the time I mounted it on the frame last night. Last night that same pressure was getting me close to 20mm of sag. Interesting.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

same thing...

I have an 08 Spot, and went from an 08' RP23 to a 12' RP23. The characteristics of the shock are totally different to me, and, you do indeed need a higher psi to get the sag you're accustomed to, if that is 20%-30%. I used to run 155-160psi in my old air shock, but, with the new RP23, I'm running 170-180psi to get the same sag.

Also, one thing I've noticed in particular is how 'active' the shock is compared to the RP23 of old. It took awhile to get used to, but don't think I'd go back.

Play around with the air pressure, but don't get to worried if you end up running more than you're used to.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr View Post
    I have an 08 Spot, and went from an 08' RP23 to a 12' RP23. The characteristics of the shock are totally different to me, and, you do indeed need a higher psi to get the sag you're accustomed to, if that is 20%-30%. I used to run 155-160psi in my old air shock, but, with the new RP23, I'm running 170-180psi to get the same sag.

Also, one thing I've noticed in particular is how 'active' the shock is compared to the RP23 of old. It took awhile to get used to, but don't think I'd go back.

Play around with the air pressure, but don't get to worried if you end up running more than you're used to.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Perfect. Glad I am not the only one that had the same 'issue' I am really impressed with the shock. I have the compression set at '0' (full open for non users) and cant believe how good it feels. I thought it would negatively affect my climbing, but just the opposite. I was able to get up the climbs last night much easier than using the pro pedal feature of the older RP23. Very cool.

Many people say it makes the travel seem 'endless', which i think is slightly cliche. That being said, when I got home and checked to o ring to see how much travel I had used, it was down to only about half the stroke. Clearly, the boost valve is doing something because that never happened with the older model.
    Affordable Custom Wheels