Baked Alaskan

possible 5-spot Romic replacements/backup

Ok, so I'm gonna spend some time looking for an adequate replacement/backup shock for the somewhat fragile Romic. Though I haven't had the hasles some have, I need to get mine serviced cause I got no rebound. In case anyone's wondering about weights...

Romic w/550# spring with bushings... 702g
    Swinger 4-way air with bushings... 444g
    5th air naked... 239g

In the 5th pic one of the bushings is still in the eyelet and I was too lazy to strip down the other ones. When the proper sizes arrive I'll do it, but you get the idea. Hopefully one of these will do the job. Weight savings, about 2/3 pound with the Swinger and a shade over a pound with the 5th. My frame with the Romic is just under 7.3 pounds, the swinger puts it at ~6.5, the 5th puts it at ~6.2.

Hopefully its still squishy, while being efficient when pedaling, and finally not harsh on the big stuff. Can an air shock do all of the above? I don't know, but it'll be fun finding out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AK Chris; 04-08-2004 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    ......I've got it bad & that aint good!...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toby Wong?
    Push Industries Fox Vanilla upgrade

check the push thread in the shocks section

Baked Alaskan

I thought about that route...

Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix

But I can't see it being that much better than the Romic I currently have. Plus I would have to get a shock and then spend the money to get it Pushed, that would set me back about $300, more than I have into the two shocks pictured above. On top of all that is the stuff Fox has on tap for next year, looks pretty good. In the end I scored a couple decent alternatives to the sometimes finicky Romic. It is nice to have options though...

The dark side is quicker

New question here. Has anybody tried...

Putting a 5th Element Coil on their 5 Spot?

I have one on my Bullit and love it so much more than the Romic on my Spot.

Dont get me wrong, the Romic hasn't failed me, but the 5th feels much more active than the Romic does.

The only Air shock I've owned was a Cloud 9 on my Klein (sold), but at 225lbs, I try to stay away from air shocks now.
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit
    Putting a 5th Element Coil on their 5 Spot?

I have one on my Bullit and love it so much more than the Romic on my Spot.

Dont get me wrong, the Romic hasn't failed me, but the 5th feels much more active than the Romic does.

The only Air shock I've owned was a Cloud 9 on my Klein (sold), but at 225lbs, I try to stay away from air shocks now.

Are you comparing a 5th Element Coil on the Bullit to the Romic on the Spot? Hopefully not.

If you are, it's an apples to avocado comparison. 7" travel vs 5" travel. 40% more travel will usually feel more active and plush.

If the comparison is with both shocks on the Bullit (I don't know if this is even possible), then I'm listening. I'd like to hear more about the comparison.

The dark side is quicker

Well...

Actually, in a way, I was. Beacuse those are my 2 bikes right now.

I understand that 7" vs 5" isnt a fair comparision, and that the Single Pivot vs the Horst is a completely different animal.

But, I have also heard so many good things about the 5th on other bikes that I know its just not the Bullit making it work so well.

I know I wont get the same feel from the Spot, but thats not why I bought it (would have bought another Bullit type if I wanted that). I like that the spot has very little bob when climbing, but it seems real stiff and unresponsive (again compared to the Bullit) when coming down.
    I have the sag set to recommended settings and have played with the Rebound and Compression settings quit a bit. It feels great when doing light trail and road riding, but when the trail gets serious, the back end seems to lag.

Maybe I have one of the defective ones? Maybe I just dont have it dialed in yet?
    Or maybe the 5th really is a better shock?
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit
    Actually, in a way, I was. Beacuse those are my 2 bikes right now.

I understand that 7" vs 5" isnt a fair comparision, and that the Single Pivot vs the Horst is a completely different animal.

But, I have also heard so many good things about the 5th on other bikes that I know its just not the Bullit making it work so well.

I know I wont get the same feel from the Spot, but thats not why I bought it (would have bought another Bullit type if I wanted that). I like that the spot has very little bob when climbing, but it seems real stiff and unresponsive (again compared to the Bullit) when coming down.
    I have the sag set to recommended settings and have played with the Rebound and Compression settings quit a bit. It feels great when doing light trail and road riding, but when the trail gets serious, the back end seems to lag.

Maybe I have one of the defective ones? Maybe I just dont have it dialed in yet?
    Or maybe the 5th really is a better shock?
    I agree that my Bullit with the 5th feels way plusher than my 5spot. Of course the Bullit does have more quite a bit more travel and I'm running a 350 spring with a leverage ratio of 2.7. On my 5-spot I was running a 500 spring and it's only got a leverage ratio of 2.5, so it'll naturally be a lot stiffer. Of course the 5th relies a lot on the hydraulic compression damping which offsets the need for a stiff spring. I'm only running 60 psi though which sets the the hydraulic thresholds pretty low, but it still never seems to bottom.

On a side note I picked up a 450 spring for my 5spot a few weeks ago, but due to a bad huck related crash I won't be able to try it out for a while... I weight around 160...

In general the bottom line seems to be big travel == plush. My 7" Bullit's a lot plusher than the 5-spot and my 8.5" travel DH bike is a lot plusher than the Bullit. Of course pedalability (is that a word?) is inversely proportional to plushness! Gotta have the right bike for the ride, that's why I've got a quiver to choose from (which makes my LBS happy).

danno

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix

Have you done this? I am interested in going that route and would love to hear from more people who have gotten their shocks PUSHed.