Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

POS special: what is the worst part you've ever installed on your bike?

I was just wondering what's the worst thing you've bought for your bike.

We always hope UGI always means improvement, but sometimes it turns out to be just a silly idea.

Bring out the shame!
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Team Sanchez
    The biggest POS I've ever bought for my bike, was the Fox 36 TalasRLC. I only kept it for a month, and then sold it to some sucker on the east coast. The color of the fork was a perfect indication of how it would perform. The WTB rear hub on my VP Free comes in at a close second. No offense Tscheezy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hands down, Avid Juicy 7s. I couldn't wait to get them off of my bike.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The biggest POS I've ever bought for my bike, was the Fox 36 TalasRLC. !
    Tell me why you hated it. I'm planning on getting an 06 as soon as they are available.

Bodhisattva
    In 2001 I bought an XTR/Bontrager mustang wheelset from one of the online mass retailers.

Halfway into a long ride both front & rear spokes completely unwound after 3 rides. And that was back in the day of rim brakes so I had the option of walking home several miles or riding without brakes.

Second place: Hutchinson Scorpion airlights. Sustained multiple sidewall tears to both front & rear tires on the first ride.

Good times.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Neg reppers r my biatches
    hands down the dumbest thing I ever put on a bike were gears .... oh yeah, one time I put something on the chainstay called a horst-link or something like that but I hated it and traded it in for some butt butter to prevent chafing

Team Sanchez
    If you are going to get a 36, then get the Vanilla version. The Talas is a very harsh ride on high speed rocky descents, and the only real way to prevent bottom out is to add more air to the Talas chamber which just adds to the lack of small bump sensitivity. The high speed compression adjustment affects the full stroke of the shock, so if you add more clicks of HS compression, the ride suffers even more. Now with that said, I weigh 225 lbs, and have heard the larger guys complaining about them more than the people that weigh under a buck 65. Both Squeaky, and Crash the Dog will tell you the same about that fork.

Bodhisattva
    I've seen you ride.
    you should reconsider the gears and horst link.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Now with flavor!!
    If you are going to get a 36, then get the Vanilla version. The Talas is a very harsh ride on high speed rocky descents, and the only real way to prevent bottom out is to add more air to the Talas chamber which just adds to the lack of small bump sensitivity. The high speed compression adjustment affects the full stroke of the shock, so if you add more clicks of HS compression, the ride suffers even more. Now with that said, I weigh 225 lbs, and have heard the larger guys complaining about them more than the people that weigh under a buck 65. Both Squeaky, and Crash the Dog will tell you the same about that fork.
    Thanks. Guess I should get in a test ride first. I liked the 130 talas I had on my xc bike.

mtbr member
    If you are going to get a 36, then get the Vanilla version.
    Stay away from the 36. El Chingon summed it up pretty well. The best way to describe the travel is harsh, particularly at high speeds. Go for Marz Z1 or the 36 Vanilla.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Wow, thanks for this excellant thread idea!

Here's my list:

#1 syncros front hub, circa 1998.
    Bearings kept seizing on me during rides, even new ones. It seemed that the design of the hub allowed for hub rotation to tighten the cones.This would then create a loud screaching sound that forced my riding partners to distance themselves from me. Nothing like watching yoru front wheel stop spinning everytime it leaves the ground! So finally I removed it from the bike. One night it was sitting on my kitchen table when the hub shell literally split in half, sending chunks of hub flange everywhere (it was radially laced) syncros warranted it but sent me clothes instead of bike parts at my request.

#2 Hutchinson spider 2.3 uST tire: 3 flats on the first ride.

#3 kooka cranks: a shop buddy of mine and I both got free pairs. Mine rounded out within weeks. He put his on his road bike, they snapped sending him OTB.

#4 rockshox judy fork.

Rolling
    Hopey Steering Damper on a single crown fork!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

It's a Turner!
    Cannondale Coda cranks.
    Coda disk brakes.
    Coda hubs.
    Coda anything.
    Cannondale anything (except for Lefty fork).

Also, Rock Shox Psylo fork. What a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    Last edited by sirbikesalot; 10-11-2005 at 01:16 PM.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

Hisforever
    1st.

I bought a pair of flat soled HIKING SHOES b/c I thought they would be good for riding in platform pedals. I finally tried them out last week, my nuts have sorely thanked me since then. On any hit over '4 ft to flat' I can pretty much guarantee slipping off and racking the family jewels.

2nd: Juicy 5 rear. The lever is sticky, nowhere near as smooth as the front '7'.

3rd. light tubes....lots of flats.
    Jesus Saves

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    [SIZE=6]Ellsworth Truth.[/SIZE]
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Brass Nipples!

I've been agreeing with Jayem a lot lately

Onza HO
    Lucky I didn't break my hips with those.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Hope Mono Minis take the cake, for how expensive they were and all they did was looked good.

Fox TALAS 125 RLC. Either harsh or easy to bottom and expensive to boot.

Michelin All Mountain UST tubless tire. Tread was gone after about 3 weeks and it got sliced up by the slightest of rocks.

Race Face SRX bottom bracket. 2 of them died within hours of installation.

Selle San Marco saddle. This is a torture device straight from the middle ages.

Hopey Steering Damper. I didn't hate it, I just didn't see much of a benefit. And making U Turns and going through thigh switchbacks was annoying.

Tubeless rims and tires. By the time you get a solid setup, where the tires don't easly puncture or get sliced, you're running several extra pounds of metal and rubber.

Sealant. Useless for most every type of puncture, save for a cactus or a thorn.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

jra
    A cheapo ISIS BB...I don't weigh enough to kill parts within 2-3 months of normal (non-crash) operation. Funny enough my second one lasted equally as long...er, short.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_

Race Face SRX bottom bracket. 2 of them died within hours of installation.

_MK
    Yeah, that's the one! It does makes a fine paper weight though.

Al.
    Hooligan
    truvativ isis bottom bracket. lasted less than 100 miles.

lurker no more

Called out...

The biggest POS I've ever bought for my bike, was the Fox 36 TalasRLC. I only kept it for a month, and then sold it to some sucker on the east coast.
    Didn't your mama teach you manners, El C? I believe I'm the sucka you're referring to. You would a thought that a person who bought the fork on mtbr.com would also be reading the forums as well...and BTW, it was the West coast. I'm not trying to start a war of words and have tempers flare here, but I'd hope you'd be more respectful of others who are learning about the sport of mountain biking and the products offered in the mountain bike industry.

Now with that said and after reading your later post to kidwoo I'd hope that the fork you sold me would serve me better than you. I am under 165#, so that bodes well for me, hopefully even under the harsh rocky descents that you complained of. After looking at the way you ride, hucking off of everything you can find, I'm not surprised that you are better served by that Z1 FR1 coil fork of yours.

Peace.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pace Rc41xcam

Quote Originally Posted by accident prone
    I was just wondering what's the worst thing you've bought for your bike.

We always hope UGI always means improvement, but sometimes it turns out to be just a silly idea.

Bring out the shame!
    Pace RC41XCAM, lasted six weeks, haven't seen them again since, maybe they'll get repaired, so I can sell them.

XTR carbon brake boosters, what a waste of time, again carbon, I should have learned and not bought the Pace.

Nicolai helius CC. Not that bad, but I should have bought a turner then as they sold turners too. Another big waste of cash.

So, mainly carbon stuff really.

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005

Hopefully things will change!!

Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    Just bought the '06 PG990 with a new 990 chain and it has not been going well after 3 rides. Lots of ghost shifting and grinding. Can't get it correctly setup. Hopefully things will go better and I will not be adding them to this list after changing from XT cassette and a Wipperman chain(flawless).

Team Sanchez
    Oreo,

I couldn't remember if it was my Heckler frame, or the 36 that ended up on the East Coast. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that the 36 is serving you well. Most smaller guys have good things to say about that fork like I intimated in my post above.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast