Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

POS special: what is the worst part you've ever installed on your bike?

I was just wondering what's the worst thing you've bought for your bike.

We always hope UGI always means improvement, but sometimes it turns out to be just a silly idea.

Bring out the shame!
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Team Sanchez
    The biggest POS I've ever bought for my bike, was the Fox 36 TalasRLC. I only kept it for a month, and then sold it to some sucker on the east coast. The color of the fork was a perfect indication of how it would perform. The WTB rear hub on my VP Free comes in at a close second. No offense Tscheezy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hands down, Avid Juicy 7s. I couldn't wait to get them off of my bike.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The biggest POS I've ever bought for my bike, was the Fox 36 TalasRLC. !
    Tell me why you hated it. I'm planning on getting an 06 as soon as they are available.

Bodhisattva
    In 2001 I bought an XTR/Bontrager mustang wheelset from one of the online mass retailers.

Halfway into a long ride both front & rear spokes completely unwound after 3 rides. And that was back in the day of rim brakes so I had the option of walking home several miles or riding without brakes.

Second place: Hutchinson Scorpion airlights. Sustained multiple sidewall tears to both front & rear tires on the first ride.

Good times.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Neg reppers r my biatches
    hands down the dumbest thing I ever put on a bike were gears .... oh yeah, one time I put something on the chainstay called a horst-link or something like that but I hated it and traded it in for some butt butter to prevent chafing

Team Sanchez
    If you are going to get a 36, then get the Vanilla version. The Talas is a very harsh ride on high speed rocky descents, and the only real way to prevent bottom out is to add more air to the Talas chamber which just adds to the lack of small bump sensitivity. The high speed compression adjustment affects the full stroke of the shock, so if you add more clicks of HS compression, the ride suffers even more. Now with that said, I weigh 225 lbs, and have heard the larger guys complaining about them more than the people that weigh under a buck 65. Both Squeaky, and Crash the Dog will tell you the same about that fork.

Bodhisattva
    I've seen you ride.
    you should reconsider the gears and horst link.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Now with flavor!!
    If you are going to get a 36, then get the Vanilla version. The Talas is a very harsh ride on high speed rocky descents, and the only real way to prevent bottom out is to add more air to the Talas chamber which just adds to the lack of small bump sensitivity. The high speed compression adjustment affects the full stroke of the shock, so if you add more clicks of HS compression, the ride suffers even more. Now with that said, I weigh 225 lbs, and have heard the larger guys complaining about them more than the people that weigh under a buck 65. Both Squeaky, and Crash the Dog will tell you the same about that fork.
    Thanks. Guess I should get in a test ride first. I liked the 130 talas I had on my xc bike.

mtbr member
    If you are going to get a 36, then get the Vanilla version.
    Stay away from the 36. El Chingon summed it up pretty well. The best way to describe the travel is harsh, particularly at high speeds. Go for Marz Z1 or the 36 Vanilla.

FM
    mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for this excellant thread idea!

Here's my list:

#1 syncros front hub, circa 1998.
    Bearings kept seizing on me during rides, even new ones. It seemed that the design of the hub allowed for hub rotation to tighten the cones.This would then create a loud screaching sound that forced my riding partners to distance themselves from me. Nothing like watching yoru front wheel stop spinning everytime it leaves the ground! So finally I removed it from the bike. One night it was sitting on my kitchen table when the hub shell literally split in half, sending chunks of hub flange everywhere (it was radially laced) syncros warranted it but sent me clothes instead of bike parts at my request.

#2 Hutchinson spider 2.3 uST tire: 3 flats on the first ride.

#3 kooka cranks: a shop buddy of mine and I both got free pairs. Mine rounded out within weeks. He put his on his road bike, they snapped sending him OTB.

#4 rockshox judy fork.

Rolling
    Hopey Steering Damper on a single crown fork!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

It's a Turner!
    Cannondale Coda cranks.
    Coda disk brakes.
    Coda hubs.
    Coda anything.
    Cannondale anything (except for Lefty fork).

Also, Rock Shox Psylo fork. What a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    Last edited by sirbikesalot; 10-11-2005 at 01:16 PM.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

Hisforever
    1st.

I bought a pair of flat soled HIKING SHOES b/c I thought they would be good for riding in platform pedals. I finally tried them out last week, my nuts have sorely thanked me since then. On any hit over '4 ft to flat' I can pretty much guarantee slipping off and racking the family jewels.

2nd: Juicy 5 rear. The lever is sticky, nowhere near as smooth as the front '7'.

3rd. light tubes....lots of flats.
    Jesus Saves

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Ellsworth Truth.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Brass Nipples!

I've been agreeing with Jayem a lot lately

Onza HO
    Lucky I didn't break my hips with those.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Hope Mono Minis take the cake, for how expensive they were and all they did was looked good.

Fox TALAS 125 RLC. Either harsh or easy to bottom and expensive to boot.

Michelin All Mountain UST tubless tire. Tread was gone after about 3 weeks and it got sliced up by the slightest of rocks.

Race Face SRX bottom bracket. 2 of them died within hours of installation.

Selle San Marco saddle. This is a torture device straight from the middle ages.

Hopey Steering Damper. I didn't hate it, I just didn't see much of a benefit. And making U Turns and going through thigh switchbacks was annoying.

Tubeless rims and tires. By the time you get a solid setup, where the tires don't easly puncture or get sliced, you're running several extra pounds of metal and rubber.

Sealant. Useless for most every type of puncture, save for a cactus or a thorn.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

jra
    A cheapo ISIS BB...I don't weigh enough to kill parts within 2-3 months of normal (non-crash) operation. Funny enough my second one lasted equally as long...er, short.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_

Race Face SRX bottom bracket. 2 of them died within hours of installation.

_MK
    Yeah, that's the one! It does makes a fine paper weight though.

Al.
    Hooligan
    truvativ isis bottom bracket. lasted less than 100 miles.

lurker no more

Called out...

The biggest POS I've ever bought for my bike, was the Fox 36 TalasRLC. I only kept it for a month, and then sold it to some sucker on the east coast.
    Didn't your mama teach you manners, El C? I believe I'm the sucka you're referring to. You would a thought that a person who bought the fork on mtbr.com would also be reading the forums as well...and BTW, it was the West coast. I'm not trying to start a war of words and have tempers flare here, but I'd hope you'd be more respectful of others who are learning about the sport of mountain biking and the products offered in the mountain bike industry.

Now with that said and after reading your later post to kidwoo I'd hope that the fork you sold me would serve me better than you. I am under 165#, so that bodes well for me, hopefully even under the harsh rocky descents that you complained of. After looking at the way you ride, hucking off of everything you can find, I'm not surprised that you are better served by that Z1 FR1 coil fork of yours.

Peace.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pace Rc41xcam

Quote Originally Posted by accident prone

We always hope UGI always means improvement, but sometimes it turns out to be just a silly idea.

Bring out the shame!
    Pace RC41XCAM, lasted six weeks, haven't seen them again since, maybe they'll get repaired, so I can sell them.

XTR carbon brake boosters, what a waste of time, again carbon, I should have learned and not bought the Pace.

Nicolai helius CC. Not that bad, but I should have bought a turner then as they sold turners too. Another big waste of cash.

So, mainly carbon stuff really.

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005

Hopefully things will change!!

Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    Just bought the '06 PG990 with a new 990 chain and it has not been going well after 3 rides. Lots of ghost shifting and grinding. Can't get it correctly setup. Hopefully things will go better and I will not be adding them to this list after changing from XT cassette and a Wipperman chain(flawless).

Team Sanchez
    Oreo,

I couldn't remember if it was my Heckler frame, or the 36 that ended up on the East Coast. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that the 36 is serving you well. Most smaller guys have good things to say about that fork like I intimated in my post above.

Rides like wrecking ball
    #1- Ellsworth Dare XC '99/'00. Rear end made of wet spaghetti. The "stiff kit" through axle pivot "upgrade" made it no better. Just a piss-poor frame.

#2- Hope Enduro 4's. Bought the most expensive brakes on the market at the time, thinking they were the best. Couldn't have been more wrong. I was severely disappointed with everything about them - performance, reliability, noise, and customer service. Never say never, but I'll never run a Hope product again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

jrm
    mtbr member

hhuummm

Bring out the shame!
    1. Judy XC: arch busted on me at speed..3 bruised ribs and a concussion.

2. American Classic ISIS BB: bearings seized after 4 months. Warrenteed but 2nd BB went south after 6 months

3. IRC Mythos tires..what the hell was i thinkin..

4. Enzo clipless pedals..

mtbr member

Early Rockshocks

Any rear coil rockshock oil ejecting shock and all psylo bushing wear machine forks. Funny how one person can have a completely different experience with a product than the next person. Some are complaining about the Sram cassets but I went through 3 XTR cassets and 4 XT's before (bending a larger cog over a smaller one) switching to Sram and have only bent one 990 casset and after bending the cog strait it ended up lasting allmost 3 years.

Gentleman Loser
    In keeping with the theme:
    Cannondale Scalpel. Sucked the big one.

Answering the question:
    Onza HO pedals. Makes me shake just thinking about them.
    Answer Protaper carbon handlebars. Just say no to carbon controls.

not so super...
    Hope XC 4 disc brakes.

These were the early 'open" system with the dial on the top to adjust for fluid expansion. They looked cool and the dial was a good idea on paper but it sure was tough to spin that sucker while traveling top speed down hill and then remember to dial it back in at the bottom.

Then there was the installation nightmare. Had to shim the caliper and the rotor, File the back of the caliper and redish both wheels to keep them from hitting the spokes. Bleeding was a a two day job and they only used DOT5.1 which was very hard to find at the time also.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I should add the plastic SRAM derailleurs of days gone by. They've prevented me from purchasing the new fangled ones that everyone oohs and ahhs about.

Also, hope disc brakes. Pre-mono calipers.

rr
    I don't do PC
    -Canti brakes
    -Proflex "OTB" fork-the 957 was a great bike tho
    -original Grip shifters- had to put zip ties on the grip to shift in the wet
    -CNC/neon color kraze, ugly and scary, broke a handfull of diff. components
    -Michelin/ Hutchinson tires
    -'01/'03 Truth, or maybe just the company, the bike rode awesome while it lasted

mtbr member
    Shimano Biopace chainrings - even as a kid I knew pedaling wasn't supposed to feel like that.

Shimano chains - every one, every time, broke.

Carmichael Jockey wheels - nothing like an "upgrade" that dramatically decreases performance imediately.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    I should add the plastic SRAM derailleurs of days gone by. They've prevented me from purchasing the new fangled ones that everyone oohs and ahhs about.

Also, hope disc brakes. Pre-mono calipers.
    Oh yeah.....ye ole platic crappers. I thought I had nothing to add to this thread until you reminded me. Those things shift great but fall apart under a strong breeze.

Don't let them deter you from the new stuff. Totally different world. I've got sram derailleurs on my dh and freeride bikes. They last.

Roy
    mtbr member
    1. Rockshox Quadra

2. Rockshox Judy

3. Several saddles that I can't recall the particular names. Each had 1 and only 1 ride on them.

--------------------

What happened to all the Fox 36 Talas love? I recall when El Beastro got his, replacing his AM1, it kicked arse over the AM1? Do they get worse over time?

Shot Down in Flames...

mainly Old Skool crap

1. Bob Roll's prayer stix grips suck beyond belief. Would not stay put no matter what.

2. Original Shimano push-push rapidfire triggers.

3. IRC Piranha Pro tires.

D.

Tame the Penguin!

Uhhh....Squeaky doesn't weigh over 165...not even if you threw a cinderblock in his Camelback.

mtbr member

POS special: what is the worst part you've ever installed on your bike?

Quote "Michelin All Mountain UST tubless tire. Tread was gone after about 3 weeks and it got sliced up by the slightest of rocks."
    Had a set of these for one day,very hard to seat, one day of riding 32 miles even the front side tread seemed to fracture/break away,truly awful tyres got my money back.
    Nokion NBX UST heavy and slippy as a slippy thing any where near rocks,one good point they wear well,actually thats a bad point can't justify throwing them out !!

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    The worst part I installed this year where the aluminim chainring bolts that where subposed to hold the granny to the crank.
    I think the picture should talk for itself... was no fun to remove the crank without adequate tools at the trail in the middle of nowhere.

Later
    RaD

Never enough time to ride
    ummm let see...not exactly on my Burner but...

Rock Shox Rear shocks, blew it up twice before I chucked it.

And Bontrager RE-1 Pedals, got three rides in on em and the traps broke, absolute junk.

Oh-yeah, Sugino Cranks

edit: Forgot abou the 3-way that came on the Burner, complete crap

happy trails...

squish
    Last edited by squish; 10-11-2005 at 08:55 PM.
    Get out and ride!

Team Sanchez
    and he still didn't like the fork. Go figure.

mtbr member

Crap - of varying degrees

1. CO2 cartridge pump: I've used more cartridges than I thought necessary to pack, and ended up with a semi-inflated tire on more than one ride. You just can't replace the always dependable right arm...

2. Swinger 3 way shock: A small window for the sweet spot that requires far too much effort to find. The sheer number of threads on this board should clue you in. Much happier with a Float.

3. Eggbeaters: These lasted a month on my MTB before landing on my road bike where I can't whack them on rocks and experience the ejection mode.

4. Continental Explorer/Survival Tires: Great grip and good weight, they last as long as a weak head cold.

5. IRC Mythos Tires: Do I really have to explain?

6. RS Quadra/Judy/Psylo: Sucked in their very own special way, every one.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by iceskier
    Just bought the '06 PG990 with a new 990 chain and it has not been going well after 3 rides. Lots of ghost shifting and grinding. Can't get it correctly setup. Hopefully things will go better and I will not be adding them to this list after changing from XT cassette and a Wipperman chain(flawless).
    The problem was that it lasted about 3 months, and that's with a fresh chain change, the metal was just too soft. When it started slipping, the chain length was actually fine, it was just the metal on the cassette being eaten away. There are a lot of parts that I could put on this list, but the wear on that was pretty unacceptable and stands out for that reason.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

bike weenie
    UGI so bad - too many to count...

1. Tioga disk wheel
    2. Spinergy rev-x wheels
    3. ti stantions for original manitou fork - they weren't polished - so much stiction the fork wouldn't even move
    4. IRD widget brake
    5. 3DV purple stuff (although those grafton brakes worked great)
    6. 1999 Seven teres (changed the design and didn't support spare parts on a bike that's supposed to last a lifetime - $2800 frame)
    7. Cannondale delta-v 1000

mtbr member
    Edsan forks- never heard of them? lucky you
    Manitou 3s
    Selle Italia SLR saddle.
    Most '95 XTR stuff except the hubs
    Sugino 700 cranks.

Funny that mythos tires have come up a bit, I like em, indeed I just raced a 24 hour, covering 320km, with a 2.1 XC on the front, and didnt slip once.

Shut up and RIDE!
    Xtr Rapid Rise Derailleur!!!!!!

Welcome Turner Homers!

Paul rear derailleur....

....Snapped off with one crosschaining. The second one did the same thing. Supergo refunded me my money.

Damn gorgeous part, though.

Feel the gin

Bring out the shame!
    Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

Welcome Turner Homers!

Probably why they called em "Prayer sticks"....

...wuz cuz you have to pray that they stick.

Feel the gin

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    1. Bob Roll's prayer stix grips suck beyond belief. Would not stay put no matter what.

D.
    Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

mad aussie
    [QUOTE=Jayem]Onza HO. QUOTE]

Amen to that one! I had almost forgotton those monstrosities. I had a set back in the 90's at one point and they would either refuse to let you clip in or release unexpectedly at the worst time.

I will add my own

Softrides suspension stem/beam-the best human catapult ever designed.
    Topline cranks-all sets cracked around the BB spindle
    bullseye aluminum (purple ano of course!) derailleur pulleys that were so wide they caused the rear derailleur cage to get pulled into the rear wheel causing a sudden and catastrophic detonation.

mtbr platinum member
    Scott Unishock
    Shimano Octalink ES-71 bottom bracket / crank design
    Onza pedals
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4" - tore 2" slit in tread on a tiny rock in the middle of the trail.
    Shimano 9spd- 8spd worked great
    Pre SRAM gripshift
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    OH, This thread is killing me. Best thread ever!!

O.K., Where do I start?

1- 1996 Trek Y-33
    2- The Judy XC that came on it
    3- The White Brothers cartridges that I used to "fix" it
    4- The Specialized Mountain Man helmet that I wore while riding it. (A.K.A. Head Suana)
    5- Anything SID
    6- 2001 Ellsworth Truth
    7- The Bontrager Disc wheels that were on it
    8- The Hope XC - 4s that were on it

Yes, I love my hairshirt!!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    #1: Smoke/Dart combo. the fans screamed their praises. i just screamed every time i cleaned the bits of rock from under my skin.

#2: '96 Judy SL. poopy, poopy, poopy! i did really like one thing about it though. it was yellow and matched the rest of my front end bits.

#3: Kooka XC cranks. wimpy, flexy, overpriced crap. if i was a bigger guy im sure i woulda snapped em. blue annoed cnc to match the rest of the blue anno cnc crap i had. looked great on a polished burner with that yellow stuff up front.

#4: Coupe (crap) Delux. 3 runs, 1 puddle of shock oil. at least i got it gratis so i wasnt out more than my time and fox hooked me up with a solid. thanx john!

#5: Ritchey (Welgo) pedals. these were much akin to playin russian roulette with myself. once while riding papago park in the middle of phoenix, id been shown a spur with some sweet air time and decided to try a little style, tossed her sideways and my inside foot went the way of the wind. i was able to save the landing but literally went straight to my sponsors shop less than 1/2 mile from that jump and bought my first pair of 747's.

#6: LX canti brakes w/ M System pads. total junk but i didnt know any better till i got my Machine Tech Zero Flex II's on the burner build. can you believe i did 2 d/h races at big bear with those flexy beasts? true story... girlfriend had to pry my fingers off my grips after each run and pull the gloves off for me due to the stiff fingers and effort needed to not lose the bar. downright scary brakes at 45 mph as recorded by my avocet 45t.

#7: Answer Hyperlite bar. pretty blue anno, light as air and a oh so cool factor. other than that..... yikes! scary light, would fold the ends w/ bar ends attatched in a stiff breeze and worst of all were the stress risers at the stem after just a few months of 5 day a week rideing and racing. im such a moron i went back a bought a 2nd one. and to think we d/h'ed on these pigs!

#8: '96 Judy SL. so bad its worth mentioning again. gawd i hated this fork!

ps: anyone wanna buy a set of onza ho's? really... anyone? have all the bits except for the cleats. anyone? beuler? beuler? and no, i never ran em. my pal gave em to me cuz, hell, i own everything else so why not have these? anyone?
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 10-11-2005 at 11:05 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4"
    Yeah, that was a good one. A 2.4" tire with no tread. The crappieness of this product was only eclipsed by my fear as I frequently locked up the front wheel at downieville.

... I guess you won't be
    - IRC Mythos....only tire I ever rode a few times and took off the bike and threw away....
    -1993 Scott Unicrown fork....got so binded up and twisted on some Winter Park, CO ski run that I actually had to stop, get off the bike and pry the fork loose from it's fully jammed and compressed condition....pitched it and got a RS Judy 1996, which I still have [on the wife's Bridgestone MB-S singlespeeder] and is on the origional non-leaking plastic damper! I can't believe it either.....it defies reality.
    - Koobi seat....just wrong.
    - Carbon handlebars [just not a good idea], or carbon anything...I won't ever touch it again.

and, the crowning glory of underachievement.....

it looked way cool, but the AMP series of forks just plain sucked, no matter how hard one tried to tweak em....can you say "ejector seat"?

Sponsored by Xanax
    '96 Judy XC fork to replace my stock Quadra 21. The Quadra was low tech OEM, and the elastomers froze solid in cold weather. But the Judy might have been worse, because I paid $300 for it and it sucked the big one from day one. Plastic top caps that stripped, super flexy lowers, crappy ride, the cartridge didn't work, then finally began leaking. It was just a terrible fork that's turned me off from Rock Shox to this day. I went to a Zoke Atom Bomb and it was WAY better.

I also had some Performance SPDs that were death traps, but probably not as bad as the Onzas that so many here have mentioned.

Titec carbon seat post. Snapped. I'm also not the biggest fan of carbon, especially for us 200-lb riders. And they're putting carbon everywhere these days. Youse axin' for trouble.

Oh, and Nike shoes. Total crap. My Italian-built Cairns lasted about five rides before the cleat plate cracked---a very common problem I found on mtbr reviews....should have known better to read the reviews first. Went back to Sidi.

mtbr member

Crap from Lizard Skins

1. Lizard Skins carbon fiber frame and chain stay protectors: no amount of frame cleaning could get these bits to adhere and conform to the the shape of the frame.

2. Lizard Skins neoprene headset cover: protected a headset that probably wasn't worth protecting while ruining the finish on a Fox Float fork.

3. Lizard Skins ODI Logo Lockon grips: expensive, heavy, uncomfortable, and as I've learned, unnecessary for me 'cause I dont break/upgrade the bits on my handlebars often.

mtbr member
    never owned 'em but the Onza HO were pretty pathetic..they're for sale on ebay-they show up with remarkable regularity when you do a search for 'yeti'...wtf, is yeti synonymous with 'vintage'?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangerider
    Shimano Biopace chainrings - even as a kid I knew pedaling wasn't supposed to feel like that...
    I think I saw non-round chainrings in some of the IB05 pics.

Anyway, here is a write-up by Sheldon Brown on Shimano's biopace: CLICK HERE

t66
    mtbr member

SRAM Gripsh1t

Worst drivetrain I ever owned. Bought top of line 9.0 system for my new Turner XCE in 97'. POS rear der. broke over and over and didn't work worth a crap. Finally SRAM agreed to reimburse the e-retailer to replace with XTR rapidfire.

Took me until last year to recover, when I finally tried the X-9 and I like 'em alot

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've been riding road and mountain bikes since 1986.

One product that sticks out in my mind as bad
    were the shimano 858 clipless pedals.

Now to make this thread a little more objective
    would people list their weight and riding style?

The reason I ask is that I weigh 140 pounds.
    I am an agressive trail rider, and I also
    ride trials - not real big, no drops over 5ft. or so.

I have had very few problems breaking stuff - almost none,
    and I ride the usual suspects - XTR cassets, chains, carbon bars,
    RS SID forks and shocks, etc...

I think the weight and riding style would be relavent to the thread.

Steve

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    #4: Coupe (crap) Delux. 3 runs, 1 puddle of shock oil. at least i got it gratis so i wasnt out more than my time and fox hooked me up with a solid. thanx john!
    Ohhhh I forgot about that one. This was the one piece that kept my GT STS from being a good bike. It puked it's guts up my back 3 times - always the week before a race. The rebound was uncontrollable so any drop would send you bouncing over the bars.
    Nothing to see here.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Crap

1. Hope XC4 brakes - pain to intall, always squealed
    2. RaceFace System - always creaks
    3. Tektro anti chainsuck plate - always shifted and the chain sucked anyway
    4. Shimano chain - special pin and they also fall apart like a cheap suit
    5. SRAM cassette - forget model but it bent
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Flyin Canine
    I gotta say, thanks to all you guys and your ugi. You have been fine guinea pigs over the years! I haven't tried half the stuff you guys are harping on and I've been riding mtn bikes since 1990.

I did run onza pedals for a while. I had to take them apart at least every couple of rides to clean and lube them other wise you would get stuck in them. The shimano 737's I tried wern't a whole lot better at releasing but at least you didn't have to take them apart all the time. I didn't like any clipless mtn pedals until the 747's came out.

I also had a 97 judy xc and would nominate it for one of the worst. It replaced my mag 21 so it actually felt pretty good to me for the time and considering the competition. I eventually replaced the cartridge with a risse gem cartridge and I ran speed springs for a long time in it. The speed springs were a huge improvement over the stock spring/elastomer setup. The fork was flexy, but I didn't know how bad it was until I got a Z2 atom bomb in 2000. After one wet ride I parked my bike and came back 3 days later to find the stanchions had welded themselves to the bushings from corrosion inside the fork.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    On any hit over '4 ft to flat' I can pretty much guarantee slipping off and racking the family jewels.
    You mean like this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    I think I saw non-round chainrings in some of the IB05 pics.

Anyway, here is a write-up by Sheldon Brown on Shimano's biopace: CLICK HERE
    It may work - it does for Julich - but it pedals poorly. it just don't feel right.

No good in rock gardens..

The worst.....

1. Onza's Rip and Rail tyres - super skinny, super skatey and rough riding on all but smooth baked clay. Oh, and the side knobs peeled off them after a couple of months. Only good feature was that they made a cool "buzz" on smooth pavement - maybe it was the knobs flying off them.....

2. Tiogas Blue Dragon tyre - heavy, slow, not at all grippy and wears quick. (oh wait, that was their good feature) Came stock on my 05 GT and stayed on for about two rides.

3. White Bros fork wipers for my 96 Judy SL's - they didn't wipe much, but looked cooler than the elephant trunk boots that were on it. They are still on the fork which is on my Kelin Pinnacle. And they still don't wipe the legs clean but still look cool.
    Less isn't MOAR

DGC
    mtbr member

You can not answer this post with only 1 answer

Bring out the shame!
    Here is a handfull and in no certain order but the Trek bike has to be my #1
    1. Back about 1992....Trek 9500 FS bike, the whole bike. Talk about scary in the saddle launcher effect rear suspension.........punch factor: 10+
    2. American Classic rear hub
    3. Hope Mini brakes......never heard a company make excuses and point fingers at so many other reasons/other companies why their brakes squeel like pigs in heat and did not have much power. Of course it was never Hopes' fault....
    4. Shimano rapid rise derailleur, I mean rapid demise, wait.............I got it, Shimano "BACK ASS FIRE" rear derailleur.
    5. EBC red pads for Hayes brakes, 1/4 of the pad was gone each DH run.
    6. Onza HO pedals
    7. Tioga Factory DH tires
    8. Mid 90's Rock Shox Judy forks.
    9. Old school Kooka cranks (Kreakas), went through 7 sets in 1 year.
    10. And finally, the Grip Shift worm.....remember those stretchy worms you would attatch to the rear derailleur cable and loop???
    OUCH...!!!!!!

bike weenie
    funny - with the firmest elastomer - I didn't think the onza HO pedals were so bad...

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    2. American Classic rear hub
    How in the world did I forget the WTB Laserdisc Lite rear hubs? Engagement slipped after 5 months of light xc use and bearings are toast. Customer service absolutely suk'd on WTB's side. Pure cr@p.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Never enough time to ride
    hmmm, I forgot about both my Fisher Joshua and my Trek VRX. Talk about a couple of bikes that both completely blew.

May God forgive me for both of those mistakes.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    2002 Crescent* Draupner. Had two frames die on me. Then I bought the 5-Spot.

The SRAM X.9 der. might be my second worst buy, the pulley bearings are crap but it's still a good der. so I'd probably buy another one if needed.

* Former good company that later treamed up with Cycle Europe (Bianchi), trials bikers might have heard of 'em. Now they only make cheap "ordinary" bikes. 2002 was their last shot at high end MTB and road bikes, Cycle Europe made Bianchi their only high end brand.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    oh my gaaaaawwwwwwd! it LOOKS JUST like a TNT frame! all the '06 frames are gonna lose their seat masts! run for yer lives!

hey, gimme a break. just a little light hearted (headed) humor here. its late, im punchy and i just ate 2 krispy kremes. i cannot be held responsible if you get bent outta shape by this attemp to make everyone laugh for a change. thanx for the chance anyway.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    oh my gaaaaawwwwwwd! it LOOKS JUST like a TNT frame! all the '06 frames are gonna lose their seat masts! run for yer lives!
    Seems some of the early 5-Spots already are huh?

Anyway, it's not exactly like a TNT frame (but it was the_TnT's frame);

That's called a star link IIRC.

Edit: More pics here (including my bruised ass): http://thetnt.no-ip.org/album/index....1+BST&start=40
    The replacement frame did not snap as catastrophic since I found the crack before it went that time. Both held almost a year.
    Regards,

Trail rider and racer
    Oury Grips.

I detested them. I had them for a weekend, and hated every second. They were just too big for my hands.

Oh and a Topeak Moonshine system before they released a HID version. It would have been better riding blindfolded I am sure!
    Trev!

Hisforever
    LOL!

Fock man. kept on rollin thru that one...awwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Jesus Saves

Hisforever

Bar Ends?

Okay, whats up with this?

So not one single person has mentioned bar ends? I cant believe it.

They should aptly be named tree hookers. I thought they were supposed to help with climbing or something. did a roadie invent those?
    Never ever again.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member

aaaccch .. SRAM cassettes!

Onza HO.

Sram PG990 cassette.
    no doubt same here. First 990 lasted 2 months, second last 2 rides. I'm now on my 3rd, this time 06', cause the dealer promised me it gets better.. but it's the last chance.

Had the same problem with SRAM chains that kept breaking.

One extra of my own.. all types of Kenda tires other than Nevagel (still tested).. they just don't hold up.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB

They should aptly be named tree hookers. I thought they were supposed to help with climbing or something. did a roadie invent those?
    I was contemplating adding these to my list in the other "best parts" poll. I swear by mine particularly for the steep technical climbs.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by theTnT
    2002 Crescent* Draupner. Had two frames die on me. Then I bought the 5-Spot.

The SRAM X.9 der. might be my second worst buy, the pulley bearings are crap but it's still a good der. so I'd probably buy another one if needed.

* Former good company that later treamed up with Cycle Europe (Bianchi), trials bikers might have heard of 'em. Now they only make cheap "ordinary" bikes. 2002 was their last shot at high end MTB and road bikes, Cycle Europe made Bianchi their only high end brand.
    Dude, That's what happens when you huck a trail bike off the roof of a 7-eleven!! You need an RFX!!! JK, I'm sure you were just riding along...

mtbr member
    1. New chain on old cassette...chain just would grip.
    2. Stans on Panaracer Trailblaster tires - blew the tire clear of the rim, covered my living room with goop, and scared the @#$%# out of me.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    How in the world did I forget the WTB Laserdisc Lite rear hubs? Engagement slipped after 5 months of light xc use and bearings are toast. Customer service absolutely suk'd on WTB's side. Pure cr@p.

I have run mine for almost 2 years with absolutely no problems. So I wonder if you were unlucky or if they made changes, but I couldn't be happier.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Originally Posted by SHAHEEB

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    I was contemplating adding these to my list in the other "best parts" poll. I swear by mine particularly for the steep technical climbs.

Me too. Plus, these $20 parts have saved my $200 shifter/brake levers many times during my gravity research.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    I have run mine for almost 2 years with absolutely no problems. So I wonder if you were unlucky or if they made changes, but I couldn't be happier.
    Mine lasted a year and half but did not survive a long weekend riding the lifts in Deer Valley. I can't complain since I never expected them to be a downhill hub but I'm not that extreme either.

Now I have a hadley on the rear and can not be happier.

I did have to replace the bearings once on the WTB's. Definately a challenge to find the bearings...they use and odd size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    1) Shimano XTR dual control shifters....work great until you hit the first puddle.

2) Specialized Alias seat..like sitting on a slab of granite.

QUOTE=D-Rock]

D.[/QUOTE]

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    1. Onza Pedals. What else can I add? These were the most flimsy, inconsistent POS bicycle component I've ever experienced.
    2. Nike MTB shoes. Broke 2 soles where the cleat bolts on. Never again.
    3. AMP rear shock. Easy to rebuild, but horribly underbuilt (like most AMP stuff). Replaced it with a Stratos that has worked (mostly) well ever since.

Justin Vander Pol
    Oooh, this is fun!

1. Cannondale fully rigid bike from 1989 or so. Ovalized the head tube riding xc in Oregon - they said it was my fault and I didn't know any better so I did a crash replacement for...

2. Cannondale F1000 frame in 1993 with the crappy headshock. My first suspension bike and I thought it was the sh!t until I lightly touched the downtube on some rocks and it exploded. Yeah, it was my fault, but a bike should be able to take some abuse.

3. Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 tire. A wide tire with HUGE side knobs that rubs your chain even on a burly bike. Hardest rubber compound known to man - threw it away it slipped on wet roots an rocks so bad.

4. All grips before lock-on's were invented. It rains a lot out here.

5. Those swoopy ultralight Scott(?) handlebars with the integrated bar ends. I'm surprised I'm still alive. I got over my weight weenie cannondale-purple-ano-light-crap phase real quick.

6. 3.5 mm cable housing from Shimano.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Wellgo WAM-M3 Pedals

Light, strong and cheap but also nearly impossible to clip into. At least you can twist OUT of them when you need to but not easily. If you loosen the tension screws to where they start to get decent release the screws fall out. These surprised me, I never had a bad pair of Wellgo pedals before this but these suck. I should have read the reviews, they were bad.

... I guess you won't be
    DGC mentioned the "Trek 9500 FS bike".....

wow - did that dredge up some disturbing memories....I only rode that pile once and it was absolutely horrible - on every pedal stroke you could feel every twitch in every link of the chain as the foot long rubber elastomer hooked to a single pivot/rocker arm struggled to trade places with the steering head of the bike....a truly monumental pile of junk....

should go in the hall of fame for really bad stuff...

jrm
    mtbr member

Damn i forgot my proflex 852 or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    -Canti brakes
    -Proflex "OTB" fork-the 957 was a great bike tho
    -original Grip shifters- had to put zip ties on the grip to shift in the wet
    -CNC/neon color kraze, ugly and scary, broke a handfull of diff. components
    -Michelin/ Hutchinson tires
    -'01/'03 Truth, or maybe just the company, the bike rode awesome while it lasted
    it was . i rode it 2 months before declaring it a MAJOR POS.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bring out the shame!
    -Manitou Sherman Slider Plus-must choose between taking large impacts or small bump sensitivity, and only feel "buttery" for about a week.

-WTB rear hub: 4 freehubs gone to hell in 2 months on my bullit

-Semi Slick tires or lightweight xc race tires-unless one enjoys flats and eating sh!! while braking or cornering.

-"Triangle Shoulder Packs" from the 1980's-who the heck was carrying their bike all the time?

-The "panty" like print nylon covers for seats and helmets in the late 80's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

more POS

Man, its amazing how many of us got sucked into the Onza HOs...

Mine:
    1) Shimano, pre-V brake XT cantilevers (737s?). No stopping power and vaporizing M brake pads. I still have memories of flying down a singletrack in Crested Butte with no way to stop...
    2) Scott AT-2 bars as mentioned (kamakaze hand position with built-in bar ends).
    3) Suntour 7 speed "index" shifters...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Here is a handfull and in no certain order but the Trek bike has to be my #1
    1. Back about 1992....Trek 9500 FS bike, the whole bike. Talk about scary in the saddle launcher effect rear suspension.........punch factor: 10+
    ?

'92? While I'm sure it was junk, who made decent rear suspension in 92'? Come to think of it who made a decent fork?

Otherwise:

-Gripshift circa 1995. Truely rubbish. Could never get it to shift right and that was 8sp. But I like the new stuff.

-Every single mini pump I have ever owned.

Gravity Rides Everything
    probably the worst thing I ever installed on a bike was a gary fisher sugar frame. that bike was a pretty sweet buildup other than that garbage frame.

DGC
    mtbr member

suspension

Quote Originally Posted by milroy
    '92? While I'm sure it was junk, who made decent rear suspension in 92'? Come to think of it who made a decent fork?

Otherwise:

-Gripshift circa 1995. Truely rubbish. Could never get it to shift right and that was 8sp. But I like the new stuff.

-Every single mini pump I have ever owned.
    The thing about the suspension stuff back then is, if those POS forks and bikes did not come about, we may not have gotten to where we are today. In some way, it was good that the bad really happened back then...!!!! Call it growing pains or learning or natural progression of a sport, I dunno but its an interesting thought.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Dude, That's what happens when you huck a trail bike off the roof of a 7-eleven!! You need an RFX!!! JK, I'm sure you were just riding along...
    Hey now! It was marketed as a XC/FR-bike!

Regards,

mtbr member

sbike hardtail !

Never owned it to be totally honnest.

The demo was enough to get the point.But at that time it was the Sh!t, everybody was fighting for one, they even issued a DH version.

That thing was UGI at its worse. I fell victim of the craze but the ride was a nightmare.

Some retro-vintage afficionados are still riding that thing, well congrats.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

chips & bier

I'll bite

In 1998 I bought a silly light bar for my hardtail. Couldn't mount barends on them w/o reinforcement caps, and haven't gone back since. From then I've used barends for about 3 days in total, and hated it.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Why did you hate the Octalink?

Scott Unishock
    Shimano Octalink ES-71 bottom bracket / crank design
    Onza pedals
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4" - tore 2" slit in tread on a tiny rock in the middle of the trail.
    Shimano 9spd- 8spd worked great
    Pre SRAM gripshift
    I think it rocks. I have rode them for years with no issues except I have developed a creak lately. What was your problem?

Jaybo

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK. So it looks like everything sucks a bowl of dick.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Shimano 515 pedals that came on an NRS I owned. I could never get them tweaked in. Either too loose to stay in or too tight to clip into. I bought some Time pedals that have been going fine for years with NO adjustments.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0