Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Polishing a Turner. Anyone done it yet?

I hear you can buy some paint remover, rub it on, and spray it off. Then, get the polisher out and polish it out. A real messy job. I was thinking of doing it next winter when it gets too nasty to ride.

Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks,

Jaybo

PS I do like the silver on my bike but I prefer polished bikes..

mtbr member

I agree....

with you totally bro. I prefer polished bikes also. I have a black Burner on the way and I would love to have it polished. I'll be interested to know if your method works.

buckeye_nut

mtbr member
    You might want to look at getting the paint blasted off. There are some substrates that can be used that won't do any harm to the aluminum. Be a lot easier but would probably cost more.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Also, how would this affect the warranty?

Next, how do you maintain the aluminum?

Polished alum. frames are easily maintained. You can use a liquid polish once a month or two months and it will look like new again.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I hear you can buy some paint remover, rub it on, and spray it off. Then, get the polisher out and polish it out. A real messy job. I was thinking of doing it next winter when it gets too nasty to ride.

Thanks,

Jaybo

Removing the powder coating can be done with professional auto paint remover(I can't remember the brand though) purchased at a pro supply place. I had no luck on a frame(powder coated) that a wheel place powder coated for me, using regular paint remover.
    or you can have it blasted off.

Watch out for the areas with bushings. I think I read that maybe these areas are powder coated and if you remove the paint, the bushing will fit looser(I may be wrong though).

Polishing can be done on a grinder with with a polishing wheel and polishing compound sticks. It is messy but the results are fantastic. The small areas are difficult to polish(forged BB part). Maybe a small polishing wheel on a drill?

I've done two frames and a fork as well as repolished two ball burnished frames. They are easy to maintain and can be made to look new very easily.

My Tracer is polished out and looks great! I do like that picture of that blue X5 on the Ventana forum. I think the blue front and polished rear looks good also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    ...Watch out for the areas with bushings. I think I read that maybe these areas are powder coated and if you remove the paint, the bushing will fit looser(I may be wrong though)...
    There shouldn't be an finish where the bushing is seated, so he should be ok there.

eastman

Cool-blue Rhythm Not sure how you would take the original paint off…

I have a polished aluminum 2002 o2…think Turner originally called it “Ball Burnished” finish??

As far a taking care of it post paint removal; I polish mine (bike that is!) every so often with a good quality aluminum polish…T recommended mothers mag wheel polish; red can, you can get it at just about any auto store. The shine seems to hold up for couple of months…and looks like new again after you’re done. No paint scratches; just need to replace decals every year or so.

This is just a rumor…but I hear tell that polished was/is one of Dave’s favorite.

And don’t forget the shades after the first buff…you’ll need em.
    Last edited by eastman; 04-05-2004 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman
    And don?t forged the shades after the first buff?you?ll need em.
    You mean 'forget'? Man I had to read that 4 times to get it Anyway's, my experience with DIY polishing jobs is that they are no way as beautiful as a ball-burnished frame and won't be shiny for as long. I has a Zasker which I loved and polished regularly and I polished the rear of my Tazer. The Zaskar would be fine after a few rainy rides, but the Tazer wasn't, eventhough they looked similar when buffed.

eastman

Wink fixed it!

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    You mean 'forget'? Man I had to read that 4 times to get it Anyway's, my experience with DIY polishing jobs is that they are no way as beautiful as a ball-burnished frame and won't be shiny for as long. I has a Zasker which I loved and polished regularly and I polished the rear of my Tazer. The Zaskar would be fine after a few rainy rides, but the Tazer wasn't, eventhough they looked similar when buffed.
    Fat fingers get me every time.

mtbr member
    Hey eastman, do you have a pic of your bike you could post? Thanks.

eastman

sure...here you go

at work now...so only have access to:

an older close up shot (yeah...i know the chain is too tight)

and one from HH

(hope this works...first time posting images on the new site)

Can send more later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks eastman. Been looking for a large 02 and this affirms I want a polished one. Appreciate it.

eastman

New question here. No problem...

...and good luck with the search.

Think the Turner site mentions something about a new lineup for 04...someting about 5 new bikes? Wonder if they plan to include a 3" travel in the lineup?

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Thanks,

Jaybo

This is the wifes RFX.

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You and your family's bikes
    We do love our bikes!

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You and your family's bikes
    Family day out.

4bar
    Aug 2003
    I have a 1996 XCE that is Ball Burnished, I use a product called Never Dull, it comes in a tin can it is basically meshed cotton wadding that is saturated with the product. You tear little pieces off and rub on the clean bare metal then wait till it dries and rub off. The more you rub the more lusterous it gets.