mtbr member

Plus size Sultans

converted my Sultan to a plus size 27.5.....it is a blast to ride in 29 mode but this is a whole new game..
    What a fun ride for sure, thank you DT for the idea and inspiration. I was going to sell it off but not anymore Plus size Sultans-plus-size-sultan.jpg
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice work, I can't seem to find any info about the sultan plus...has the swing arm been modified, or is it an existing sultan with wider wheels and tight clearance?

mtbr member
    Niceeee... do you have more pics??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    it's an existing sultan with wider wheels and tight clearance. That is what we have been riding here, so and it is much different feel than 2.3's..

On another note, got my Nextie 35mm carbon rims for twenty six (26") and will them lace up to put on the Burner, or the wifes Flux.

26 WILL take over again, mark the calendar. More Plus traction for more fun, smaller radius for more enduroability. Sounds like fun to me

David Turner
    April 28th 2015

Wicketed
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post

26 WILL take over again, mark the calendar. More Plus traction for more fun, smaller radius for more enduroability. Sounds like fun to me

David Turner
    April 28th 2015
    As it is written, thus it shall be

Although, to paraphrase Cotic (smaller UK bike company) '29er ain't dead'.

I've just bought a secondhand Sultan with the intention of building it up like Kreator's above. Looks like a double truckload of fun.

N.b. There's a comment on article about Turners on Bikeradar today re being better of with 2.8s at the back...given DT's comments re tight clearances I'm guessing that would be the way forward for muddy UK riding.......
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    it's an existing sultan with wider wheels and tight clearance. That is what we have been riding here, so and it is much different feel than 2.3's..

On another note, got my Nextie 35mm carbon rims for twenty six (26") and will them lace up to put on the Burner, or the wifes Flux.

David Turner
    April 28th 2015

Most definately a different ride than 2.3....it is a blast to ride. DT you are the inspiration for the tranformation. 35mm carbon and Maxxis Chronicle 27.5 plus front and back. It is tight. The fork clears, the rear, the right side is great the left, there is a minute amount of rub from the swing arm upright weld, very slight on the side wall. I guess it only happens powering up a short climb....i have some 2.8 comming may switch out the rear. I agree with dave about the 26plus gaining some traction, ala mini fat bike style, with suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

David Turner
    April 28th 2015
    Dave- Just ordered my Nextie Wildcat 38mm 27.5's for the new Burner. Maybe I will get the order in for the 26's. Nice.

mtbr member

Can't wait to see them on the Burner!

Did we really need a new wheel size, or just more clearance for bigger tyres...

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I like Dt's thinking!!!
    I have been looking at Fat bikes but still on the fence........Like the kahn but a bit pricey!
    But now a Burner with 26 tires but fatter.........NICE! and I got options!!!
    and it will be easier I think to find a XXL frame also!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Which RS fork do you have? It clears the Maxxis fine?

mtbr member
    I like the idea of the nexties on my Burner too! Watching with excitement!...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Which RS fork do you have? It clears the Maxxis fine?
    it is a pike 29 140mm...clears with plenty on the arch and close on the bulge where the seals are, mm there.