Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nicole? Papa?

(PLEASE) Convince me I should buy a crutch for my new 5 Spot!

OK, so I'm building my new 5 Spot and have always wondered about an adjustable seatpost.

I find myself stopping quite often to raise and lower my seat to tackle the technical sections and the more I think about it the more I think I'd make use of one.

So what's putting me off:
    • The weight for one
    • The ugly factor, especially
    • The reliability - Maverick Speedballs/Crank Bros Joplins have a really poor record in my neck of the woods.
    I've noticed many of you use a Gravity Dropper, do they address my concerns over reliability.

The other one I've looked at is the All Mountain Post from Precision, this looks better and lighter, but I haven't heard much about them.

Also, I think the remote control element would be extremely useful, but again - aesthetics??

Gonna sort my brain out for me?

banned
    When the posts break, you have great customer service behind them to help ride home with you on the trail. Makes you forget about the broken post for the miles of riding back.

Xpy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't think they do a Joplin in 27.2, so that'll restrict your choice.

Team Blindspot
    Because you will have something Aqua Doesn't
    Astigmatic Visionary

Nicole? Papa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpy
    I don't think they do a Joplin in 27.2, so that'll restrict your choice.
    I think if I go forone it'll be a Gravity Dropper or the All Mountain Post from Precision.

PSI
    I want that one

easy

its like a tv without a remote.

its just one of those things in life that after you experience them you dont understand why you waited soooo long and why doesnt everybody else have one.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Because you will have something Aqua Doesn't
    Wait, maybe that's a reason not to get one

Anyway, I agree with PSI
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Like you, I find myself adjusting the seat post quite often. I already ordered my GD from the lbs. If you're worried about aesthetics, than you'll just have to decide which is more important for you. Looking nice or riding nice? Once you're on that seat, who's gonna stop you to say your bike looks ugly? If you wanna take pictures of your bike, then just replace it with a regular post. HTH.

mtbr member

Go Go Gadget Seatpost

I ride with much younger people - all are 25-30 and I am 55 - and in a group setting they call my GD Turbo a "go-go gadget seatpost" but separately they admit it is a good idea, but they can't handle the image responsibility of having an adjustable seatpost.

Mine has been on three Turner's since I bought it in January 2007 and I really like it - makes a huge difference in my confidence going down steeps, jumping, and then getting ready to go back uphill, it is a quick pop up to full extension.

Get one!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Nicole? Papa?
    OK, so I'm going to get one - you've convinced me!

Can you talk to me about GD vs the All Mountain Post from Precision (http://www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com/amp.aspx)

I know the GD has been going longer, but I think the All Mountain Post is better looking.

Anyone know anything of the All Mountain Post?

mtbr member

Send a PM to CC

I think Cactus Corn is using one - in Iowa of all places!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    I'm in a similar quandry.

You can scratch the AMP post of the list too, because you can't get them in the UK (and they won't sell them outside the USA).

I also need one with layback. (run my saddle right back on a RF XY at the mo)

Joplin doesn't fit and I wouldn't touch any CB product with someone elses sh!tty stick until its been proved completely bombproof.

I want one for the Mega Avalanche, but will (probably) sell it afterwards. At that point its bloody difficult to justify the cost for a single race. The rest of the time I'm quite happy to do it the old fashioned way. Given how heavy my (02) RFX is already, I'm also keen not to add any more to it!

Did you see Fruit's post on STW yesterday?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    in Iowa of all places!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

gravity curmudgeon
    Don't do it. This crutch mentality is a slippery slope. Next thing you know you will be buying a Highline as your XC bike.

Obviously I have no useful input on this topic ...

Lay off the Levers
    I think Cactus Corn is using one - in Iowa of all places!
    Don't laugh, they build some steep arsed driveways there.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Team Sanchez
    both the AMP and the GD are great products. The GD seems to have a smoother up and down actuation, but the AMP has a better remote, and remote clamping system. The throw on the AMP lever is a bit further, but not horrible. The aesthetics of the AMP are superior. I own both. I've got a 5 inch AMP on my Highline, and a 4 inch GD on my spot. Both companies have awesome customer service. The reliability on the GD is great. I went 18 months without an issue. Just put new cable and housing on it every year, and your set.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Nicole? Papa?
    LOL, you guys are FUNNY!

Team Blindspot
    I ride with much younger people - all are 25-30 and I am 55 - and in a group setting they call my GD Turbo a "go-go gadget seatpost" but separately they admit it is a good idea, but they can't handle the image responsibility of having an adjustable seatpost.

Mine has been on three Turner's since I bought it in January 2007 and I really like it - makes a huge difference in my confidence going down steeps, jumping, and then getting ready to go back uphill, it is a quick pop up to full extension.

Get one!
    Steve, you down here yet?
    Astigmatic Visionary

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    *****! every last one of ya!

id get a amp if theyre available, they address a few small issues the gd's had and are indeed cleaner lookin. if ya cant get 1 over there, the gd is a fine unit. ive used both but prefer the amp slighly over the other. heres the amp in action:

and a few pics of the amp mounted. also the gd is in the next to last pic jumpin over the log.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Where can I get a water-bottle holder like CC has?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Get one

If you lower your seat already before technical sections, get one. Once you have it you will wonder why you were hesitating. It is a very nice upgrade, really gives you on the fly confidence when enter a steep, technical downhill.

Almost everyone that has one swears by it. There are some that disapprove, but I am not sure that they have tried it.

The GD does look goofy with the jagged boot, but it works great and that is what matters.

What rear hub are you using? I just upgraded to a Chris King and WOW! what a difference.

bobo

trail fairy
    Great shots CC AGAIN

Do those dogs in pic count as a crutch

I want a dawg...or 2!

Churrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

old pics, but thanx.

odus and layla ar 2 of the biggest crutches ive ever owned. thanx to them, i should be on crutches right now but i refuse to go to the doc till im back from the fat tire fest next weekend cuz i think my foot is busted after the kids knocked my rfx over onto it while i was messin with the stinger last saturday. if i go now, hell want to put a cast or some crap on me and kill my ride plans. no thanx. ill live.

get a dog. great companions, great friends. by the time ya heal up the pup will be ready for some trail action. till then use him/her for shop security.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    old pics, but thanx.

odus and layla ar 2 of the biggest crutches ive ever owned. thanx to them, i should be on crutches right now but i refuse to go to the doc till im back from the fat tire fest next weekend cuz i think my foot is busted after the kids knocked my rfx over onto it while i was messin with the stinger last saturday. if i go now, hell want to put a cast or some crap on me and kill my ride plans. no thanx. ill live.

get a dog. great companions, great friends. by the time ya heal up the pup will be ready for some trail action. till then use him/her for shop security.

Just take two Kiltlifter's 4 times a day and you will be fine
    Astigmatic Visionary

good advice! you commin out to bring me some?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast