mtbr member

Plastic Courage, good for the ego, bad for the bike...

So I got armor (finally, I guess), and did this section called "pinball" quite a bit faster than usual. It was a bit scary, but fun, and I had no problems (I thought). I guess I "kicked up" a big rock or two, cuz I saw the damage when I was de-armoring later. No falls, nothing, just speed, I guess....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

No, that's not phonetic
    In the words of one of the greatest philosophers of our time; DOH!

Looks like it's time for Steve to give your bike a bad case of papilloma.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    Holy macaroni!!!
    Remind me not to follow you on a decent... considering the speed that it took I probably wouldn't want you behind me either.

Hope it's still rideable.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Silence and Thunder...

Battle scars...

It appears that the pads worked well for your confidence levels! Hope that gouge doesn't compromise the frame strength..???
    Like cheeze sez, ya need some of that jetski rubber on there. (actually, not a bad thought for all of us. I've heard some big rocks bounce off of mine down there too...)

--what's up with the shock bolt though? Didja knock that loose too ?
    ...every day sends future to past...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ive got a gank just like that on my burner. by lookin at yers id say the same size and the same depth but about 2 1/2 inches further up the tube. been ther for over a year now with no change but it did help influence me to buy a new flux to be honest. recent weeks have shown us theres plenty to worry about if we so chose. some of us decided not to and id suggest ya do the same thing here. ride it and smile jewel. sorry yer baby got knocked up. maybe i shoulda said knocked around. thats not much better is it?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    OMG!!!! JOD, thatis amazing!!! Wow, you are cazy fast like "outgrowing" your current ride!!!

Congratulations!!! Well, that's what I tell my other friend every time she wears or breaks something

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Time to affix a Five Spot front triangle to that Burner.

I put a pretty solid dent in my road bike top tube recently, and took it into my shop to have the frame alignment looked at. It was off by a few mm, and we finessed it back into alignment. You may want to do the same. It's probably not as critical on a mountain bike, and a FS bike at that, but it may make a difference (that is if it's deemed rideable).

Sorry to see carnage like that on a well-loved piece of equipment. Very lucky it wasn't your shin. Oh, right, armor...

mtbr member
    That sucks, I feel for you.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member

Didn't notice the bolt...

Typical of me not to see an obvious michanical problem...like that bolt missing! [SIZE=3][SIZE=6]Holy Crap!!![/SIZE][/SIZE] I don't know how I survive sometimes...I get armor and then ride a bike with a shock ready to fall off. Hummmm...I might as well be riding one of these. I was going to post a pic of me in my new armor, but I can't cut the pic size down.
    P.S. My nephew, future Homer...
    Last edited by Jewell of D(enial); 10-03-2005 at 11:15 PM.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    It looks like you bottomed that shock -you're o-ring is all the way to the bottm; is the SPV chamber blown or is it still holding air? However you did it, that is one massive dent .
    turtle

Silence and Thunder...
    ...there was someone wanting to get rid of his DHX recently....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    It looks like you bottomed that shock -you're o-ring is all the way to the bottm; is the SPV chamber blown or is it still holding air? However you did it, that is one massive dent .
    turtle
    I have no friggin idea...I just ride it and hope for the best (I hope my lack of mechanical intellect will not disappoint the Homer nation and therefore I be banned)...I'm just joking I actually do pay attention to the bike workings, but it sure didn't show in this picture.
    - not the best perfroming shock, but it's holding air in both chambers...
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Flyin Canine
    An RFX would fix you right up. But you already know that, having ridden Term's. I have bounced my RFX downtube off of a couple of boulders in the last year in some pretty good wrecks. The paint got scratched. Yeah, that's it, paint scratch. RFX's don't take no crap from rocks, that's fo sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    It looks like you bottomed that shock -you're o-ring is all the way to the bottm
    Well, as things should be then? It is recomended to bottom the dampers at least once every ride. Not bottom out hard but still bottom.

However, Jewel should check all the screws so not more of them are loose. Once in a while it's a good idea to take out the tools and check everything on the bike. Especially when you ride as hard as that frame appears to have been ridden. Great stuff!

Hopefully, in say 10 years, my SO has also dented a frame! :-D Were struggeling with basic trails as-is...
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    So I got armor (finally, I guess), and did this section called "pinball" quite a bit faster than usual. It was a bit scary, but fun, and I had no problems (I thought). I guess I "kicked up" a big rock or two, cuz I saw the damage when I was de-armoring later. No falls, nothing, just speed, I guess....
    [SIZE=3]So, what's the problem?[/SIZE]
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    [SIZE=3]So, what's the problem?[/SIZE]
    Damn bro! You need a freakin skid plate, not rubber.

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)

Yikes! Ok... I think its obvious your getting an RFX is overdue. Either that or stop following Aqua's crazy lines!

BTW, I don't know if this fits (or is still available) but there's a whole small RFX in the classifieds.
    Last edited by terminaut; 10-04-2005 at 09:19 AM.

My cup runneth over
    OK, OK, OKAY, now I have to crawl under the wife's Wrangler and get some real
    Rock Shots (hmm, RockShots, RockShox.....).

Dang, you guys are RIDING - yee-haw!

Keep up the good work - dings et al are battle scars to be proud of (later to be hung up on the wall).

Gentleman Loser
    Rock and Roll, Jewel.

Funny thing happened to me this weekend. Same sort of thing, riding a long, narrow rock field at speed.

Feel a smash on my left shin, just above the ankle.
    Hear a pop, like a .22 gunshot.
    Lose pressure in the rear suspension.
    Carefully stop the bike.
    Look down, and see that my shock's shrader valve is sheared clean off at the first thread.

Freaky.

No dents in the frame, an ML8, though there is temporarily a big one in my leg.

Incidentally, this got me thinking that a new Ibis Mojo, though beautiful, may not survive long in the wild.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaut
    Yikes! Ok... I think its obvious your getting an RFX is overdue. Either that or stop following Aqua's crazy lines!

BTW, I don't know if this fits (or is still available) but there's a whole small RFX in the classifieds.
    Term is right, and if the small is too small, I've got a medium that you might want to pick up.....

btw, flying down Colorado singletrack this weekend a softball-sized rock flew up and smacked my shin, I've got a cut/dent about the same size as the one on your frame - in my leg....

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero
    Rock and Roll, Jewel.

Funny thing happened to me this weekend. Same sort of thing, riding a long, narrow rock field at speed.

Feel a smash on my left shin, just above the ankle.
    Hear a pop, like a .22 gunshot.
    Lose pressure in the rear suspension.
    Carefully stop the bike.
    Look down, and see that my shock's shrader valve is sheared clean off at the first thread.

Freaky.

No dents in the frame, an ML8, though there is temporarily a big one in my leg.

Incidentally, this got me thinking that a new Ibis Mojo, though beautiful, may not survive long in the wild.
    Sorry about the leg and shock damage. Hope they get better soon.

There were a few CF bikes I saw at I-B that I wanted to ask "how resistant is this going to be when it picks up a rock in the downtube?" about. Ibis was right at the top of the list.