Thread: pinging sound!

mtbr member

pinging sound!

I just built up a new 6pack frame. Upon completion when test riding around the drive way and manually testing the suspension, I noticed a "pinging" sound coming from the frame.

For the life of me I can't figure out where it is coming from. I cycle the bike through its suspension and then when it sits at rest it starts to ping. The pinging ususally lasts about 30-45 seconds, and then gradually fades out.

Another way to describe the sound is like water on an aluminium windowsill. It is very annoying. I did notice that one of the waterbottle cage bolts just spins and never tightens, another bummer, but not the source of the sound

While searching for this "pinging" I have ruled out:
    the fork, the shock, the cables, the seat and seat post, the cockpit, the breaks, the pivots, the wheels, the cranks, the deraileurs........I think that is it.

Has anyone ever experienced this.
    Please help.
    thanks in advance.

TIM

Lay off the Levers
    Doublecheck the stem. A creek/tic/ping from the stem can travel. You said you ruled out a bunch of stuff but did you grease those parts?

Perhaps a some more info will help...

Does the sound happen when you cycle the suspension?
    Does it happen when you are standing, siting or both?
    Does it happen when pedaling? When not pedaling?
    Can you recreate the sound in your workshop?
    Can you recreate it on and/or off the bike?
    Have you checked the BB and cranks?

Noise can be royal pita to eliminate for sure.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a similar issue with my 5 spot. The noise was driving me crazy. My LBS finally found the noise. It was the Horst link pivot bolts. They put a little grease on those pivot bolts and the bike is quiet. It may be worth checking out.

mtbr member

thanks guys .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Doublecheck the stem. A creek/tic/ping from the stem can travel. You said you ruled out a bunch of stuff but did you grease those parts?

Perhaps a some more info will help...

Does the sound happen when you cycle the suspension?
    Does it happen when you are standing, siting or both?
    Does it happen when pedaling? When not pedaling?
    Can you recreate the sound in your workshop?
    Can you recreate it on and/or off the bike?
    Have you checked the BB and cranks?

Noise can be royal pita to eliminate for sure.
    Zilla,
    I am sure it is not the stem, I took the whole front end off the bike and still heard the sound.

The sound happens after I cycle the suspension, when the bike is at rest.

The sound happens when I am off the bike.

It does not happen when I am pedaling, or the bike is under a load.

The sound is the worst when I am off the bike.

I checked the cranks.

I will try relubing all the joints. It just doesnt seem like it would be from the rear end because the sound is so much louder up in the main triangle. I guess that could be due to the thickness of the aluminium. The frame was just built up so there is no dirt or grime in the joints.

Thanks for the replies.

Lay off the Levers
    Very odd. You're saying after you cycle the sus, then step away from the bike it pings while just standing there by itself?

What kind of rear shock do you have? Perhaps the spring is making the noise slowly expanding. Or maybe an air shock doing the same thing. Try removing the shock and see if it still happens. If not, then try bolting on a different shock. It's starting to sound like the noise is coming from the bike slowly extending the last half milimeter or so. (wild guess on my part)
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

tried that

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Very odd. You're saying after you cycle the sus, then step away from the bike it pings while just standing there by itself?

What kind of rear shock do you have? Perhaps the spring is making the noise slowly expanding. Or maybe an air shock doing the same thing. Try removing the shock and see if it still happens. If not, then try bolting on a different shock. It's starting to sound like the noise is coming from the bike slowly extending the last half milimeter or so. (wild guess on my part)
    Zilla,
    Thanks for getting back to me. You should change your proffesion to a Bike Doctor. I feel like I am bringing my bike in for counciling.

Yes to the first question...I step away and pinging continues.

It is a Romic shock. That is the first place I thought it was coming from. I tried changing the spring, cleaning the shock, and taking the shock off all together. No Luck!

You are right about the sound seeming like it comes from the last coulpe of millimeters as it creaps back to full extension. When I am sitting on the bike with full sag it doesn't happen.

Thanks for helping out.