Build More = Ride More

Pimping the Highline....?

Looking to give my Highline some fresh love from the bank account.

Here's 3 things I was thinking would make it rock even more:

1. Enduro needle bearings on the shock
    2. Slacker headset -1 deg
    3. Canfield Crampons to reduce effective BB height.

Anyone put HA reducer cups on their Highline yet?

Any input and personal experience with these would be appreciated. I have already tried my Crampons on the Highline from my Reign and liked the lower feeling. Curious if maybe forgoing the slacker headset and going with a zero stack to get it lower, but resulting in a steeper HA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I remember reading that the needle DU replacement wouldn't be very effective on the highline due to the small amount of rotation that the shock experiences during compression.

I'll let actual owners chime in, just a thought about $$ to spend elsewhere.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by NWfreeride
    I remember reading that the needle DU replacement wouldn't be very effective on the highline due to the small amount of rotation that the shock experiences during compression.

I'll let actual owners chime in, just a thought about $$ to spend elsewhere.
    I took the spring off and found the Highline has a pretty good amount of rotation on both ends. More than you would think from looking at it.

Hell, it's just the $50 anyway. Even if I don't feel it, I know I am riding something better.

Family members keep asking me why I don't have kids yet. Well, they would starve while I horded income for my bikes.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn

I ordered a 2 deg set of headset cups last week from Works Components, I hope they show up soon there web site is a little iffy. I'm switching from an 1.5 totem with a Cane Creek headset to a Boxxer with the Works cups. By my calculations (cad drawings) it should slacken the bike to 65.11deg and lower the BB to 14.2".
    Im getting less angle change and more drop because I'm loosing ~10 mm of stack height in lower bb cup making the switch. Running through the other options one and a half degree cups gave me a 65.51 deg head angle and a 14.24 bb. One degree cups gave me a 66 degree head angle and a 14.26" bb. These numbers where based on the the slight A/C change from Totem to Boxxer but don't account for and sag difference moving from 180mm fork to a 200mm fork.

Once I get all the parts together I'll make some before and after measurements and see how close my calculations turn out.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    I ordered a 2 deg set of headset cups last week from Works Components, I hope they show up soon there web site is a little iffy. I'm switching from an 1.5 totem with a Cane Creek headset to a Boxxer with the Works cups. By my calculations (cad drawings) it should slacken the bike to 65.11deg and lower the BB to 14.2".
    Im getting less angle change and more drop because I'm loosing ~10 mm of stack height in lower bb cup making the switch. Running through the other options one and a half degree cups gave me a 65.51 deg head angle and a 14.24 bb. One degree cups gave me a 66 degree head angle and a 14.26" bb. These numbers where based on the the slight A/C change from Totem to Boxxer but don't account for and sag difference moving from 180mm fork to a 200mm fork.

Once I get all the parts together I'll make some before and after measurements and see how close my calculations turn out.
    That sounds so damn sick! Please follow up when you have a chance.

I am also contemplating a switch to Boxxer or 888.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac

just received my works reducers today. from tracking, they shipped the monday morning after my order saturday. took 2 days to arrive in canada. they sat in customs for 3 days and came today. they look well made out of the package. will be putting them in this weekend. cheaper than k9 but look just as nice.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    just received my works reducers today. from tracking, they shipped the monday morning after my order saturday. took 2 days to arrive in canada. they sat in customs for 3 days and came today. they look well made out of the package. will be putting them in this weekend. cheaper than k9 but look just as nice.
    Did you get the -1 or -1.5 cups?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Did you get the -1 or -1.5 cups?

1.5 cups for my rune.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Looking to give my Highline some fresh love from the bank account.

Here's 3 things I was thinking would make it rock even more:

1. Enduro needle bearings on the shock
    2. Slacker headset -1 deg
    3. Canfield Crampons to reduce effective BB height.

Any input and personal experience with these would be appreciated. I have already tried my Crampons on the Highline from my Reign and liked the lower feeling. Curious if maybe forgoing the slacker headset and going with a zero stack to get it lower, but resulting in a steeper HA.
    I was running the works offset headset cups in my highline with a -1.5 degree config, with a single crown, and the HA felt very much like it did when I ran a 888, except everything was lower, and the 180mm singlecrown felt like a better match for the chassis. I did not measure the before and after BB height, but it was noticably lower. I also did not run the shorter fork with a regular headset so I can't tell you how much it will drop. Probably not a whole lot. Bust out some geometry?

I know where you could, ummmm, get the offset headset for cheap....

Sometimes I say stupid things

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    I was running the works offset headset cups in my highline with a -1.5 degree config, with a single crown, and the HA felt very much like it did when I ran a 888, except everything was lower, and the 180mm singlecrown felt like a better match for the chassis. I did not measure the before and after BB height, but it was noticably lower. I also did not run the shorter fork with a regular headset so I can't tell you how much it will drop. Probably not a whole lot. Bust out some geometry?

I know where you could, ummmm, get the offset headset for cheap....
    Interested in your reducer headset. PM me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....