Thread: Pilgrimage

mtbr member

Pilgrimage

Aloha, I am taking a short break from work and traveled to sunny southern, CA for a few days. I am going to visit some friends next weekend up in Kern.

Anyway, yesterday a few friends and I took a field trip. We drove on out to The Path bike shop so I could get a Santa Cruz (Solo). Nope, not the 5010, the Solo, it still says it on the top tube. $65 rental/day. I am going to hold on to it through the weekend and return it Monday. They are super helpful, accommodating and a humble bunch there.

So here's the Turner content. From The Path, we drove down to Turner. We were met by Jarret as we walked in. I told him I was in touch with Greg to get my hands on some demos. Greg came out and helped us out. They didn't have any smalls for me so I got a ride on a medium Flux 27.5 and Burner. Apparently, all the "smalls" are out to a bike shop up on Santa Monica or Orange County for a woman's gathering. I hope they're enjoying them. My buddy got a Czar. While there, David came out and chatted with us for well over and hour. I've met him a couple of times in the past (years ago) at Interbike. He was always swarmed by people there so I did not want to add to the chaos at IB. So this time around, we just chatted about all kinds of stuff bikes. People, this is a real person with some amazing real life situations he faces in the bike industry. He rides and had some incredible information and insights of how things work, why things work and how the industry guided some of his decisions. In the end, he's had to deal with the industry and what others provide (as far as components) and still try to provide the best riding trail bikes for himself and what we would like. I wish/hope he some day writes a book. The history and information that is in his mind is amazing!!! I hope you all some day get to meet him and shake his hand. This certainly is why I own and have purchased 5 Turners over the years. And I know when I get around to it, my next bike will be a Turner. I'll try to get around to getting the pictures together and getting them out. I just wanted to report on my awesome experience. The guys at Turner ROCK!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice! Wish I could have been there, too. Sounds like it was an incredible conversation.
    Welcome back to the Mainland. Hopefully I'll catch you on your next trip.

(By the way, people: hopefully you'll be lucky enough to meet gmats, sometime. Great guy.)

mtbr member
    How dd you find the flux vs burner?

~~~~~~~~
    wouldn't it be funny if the medium flux weighed less than the small carbon solo?